Optimus M+ Root Guide

1. citric

citric Well-Known Member

Alrighty, so there've been some nice advances already in this relatively new phone. Here's a small guide to help

Before starting, be sure you have the latest LG drivers. One way to do this is to connect the phone before doing any of this and let your computer do the new hardware found stuff. If that doesn't pop up you should be good.

Or go to the LG Website and download the newest driver

Optional: Download a reboot app to your phone (Quick Boot is what I have.) In my personal experience (I haven't heard anyone else say this) my phone got stuck on the last reboot and I couldn't get the power button to bring up the power down menu. I removed the battery and plugged it back in, booted up the phone and everything was dandy. Having Quick Boot would've made this easier and made me not worry about pulling the battery, though it worked out.

1. Download and unzip the optimusmplus_root_windows.zip file attached below.

2. On your phone, go to Settings > Applications > Development and be sure that USB Debugging is checked.

2. Plug your OM+ into your computer, and unplug any other phones you might have plugged in.

3. Locate the folder you unzipped from step 1, and run run.bat.

4. Sit back and let it do it's thing. Your phone should reboot 3 times. If you're stuck on the reboot after "Cleaning up..." reboot your phone using Quick Boot.

5. Enjoy your rooted phone!

6. If you haven't already, head over to the Bump up your networks speeds thread and boost your data service (if you're noticing really... really slow speeds, like <0.20mbps )

7. If you like this post, hit the Thanks button :thumbup:

Attached Files:

Advertisement
  2. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder Well-Known Member

Just did mine following this, couldn't have been easier. Had to do it twice for some reason as it didn't work the first time. Second time went perfectly.
    golakers12 likes this.
  3. McLovin71

McLovin71 Member

I just got the phone yesterday and was frustrated that GingerBreak did not work.

I found this post...and it was AWESOME!!! Unfortunately, I had to wait until I got home because I work for the Federal Gov't and they like to play "big brother" with the computer system. lol

I had NO PROBLEMS rooting at all! This morning, I boosted my data signal to (almost) 4G speeds.

Thanks for posting this. You are a major stress reliever! lol:rock:
  4. khalark

khalark Active Member

Can you please tell me how to boost data sig? and I rooted today fast and ez
  5. alfick3

alfick3 Well-Known Member

Follow the guide listed in step 6 of the 1st post. It's really easy and works well.
  6. scrltflds

scrltflds New Member

Thank you! So easy too :D
  7. azle909

azle909 New Member

are you suppose to open abd.exe first or ........ Can i get some help please!!!!!!
  8. citric

citric Well-Known Member

If you have ADB running already, close that it might cause a conflict. Then just follow the instructions in the first post. Its fairly straightforward.
  9. Strubie

Strubie New Member

This is weird. I didnt have to unzip the file when i saved it or opened it, and i dont see any "Run.bat" Whats going on??
    PlayfulGod likes this.
  10. sammyz

sammyz LG Whiz Kid Guide

You should still be able to see a file called "Run"
    And you probably opened it with the regular windows file explorer, you still must unzip it because it is a zip and things do not run properly when it is zipped.
  11. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder Well-Known Member

Right-click the downloaded zipped folder, select "Extract All" and Windows will extract the files into a new folder in the same location (downloads folder, desktop or wherever you have it). Then open that folder and you should see all the files, open run.bat.
    If you still don't see it then it's possible the download was incomplete or corrupt, try downloading it again.
  12. citric

citric Well-Known Member

I did this following the guide with my new optimus m+ (mom got an upgrade), and it worked without fail.
  13. jazono

jazono New Member

I did follow the steps. The first time I tried I didn't work and I retry all the steps again. The second time I got stuck in the start loop. So I tried to run the RUN file again. Now I just get till the point when it says: "link failed file exists". I've been trying many times. Using the hard reset button combination too (which brings the phone to the default state). Some help?
  14. citric

citric Well-Known Member

Just double checking, is your USB in debug mode?
  15. cumofo

cumofo Active Member

Aghhhhhh! 9 days, still can't get even ONE recovery to boot into Boot Recovery. What gives?
    I think I need a simple "flash_image" file and "recovery.img" to use.
    here are my adb cmds:

# adb push c:\flash_image /sdcard/
    # adb push c:\recovery.img /sdcard/
    # adb shell
    $ su
    $ mount -o remount, rw /system
    $ cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin
    $ cd /system/bin
    $ chmod 777 flash_image
    $ flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

where am I blowing it?
  16. citric

citric Well-Known Member

Me and ShabbyPenguin have been testibg a CWM recovery, its almost done
    alfick3 likes this.
  17. citric

citric Well-Known Member

18. sammyz

sammyz LG Whiz Kid Guide

Can it backup?
  19. citric

citric Well-Known Member

And restore.
  20. sammyz

sammyz LG Whiz Kid Guide

Can you upload the files?

I want to see how it plays out with the Optimus M (old version)
  21. citric

citric Well-Known Member

I can almost 99% guarantee you that that is a terrible idea, it probably doesn't have any of the same mounting points or partition stuff so it probably wouldn't do you any good
  22. alfick3

alfick3 Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to this. The lack of a custom recovery is the only thing holding me back from rooting my phone.
  23. citric

citric Well-Known Member

we just need to get the USB mounting to work and that's it.
    playfulgod put in a lot of work last night on this as well
  24. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Well-Known Member Developer

ill put up the temp version later today but i wanna get usb working before i submit it to koush
  25. sammyz

sammyz LG Whiz Kid Guide

I change boot.img's........that's how I ported all the Optimus V roms to the old optimus m