• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Optimus not charging/turning on after long period of non use

butxifxnot

Lurker
Jun 9, 2014
I have an old Optimus V that I'd like to use as a spare Android device. It's no good for resale so I may as well use it as a utility. I haven't used this thing in somewhere around 3 years. The battery was fine back then, but obviously it's completely drained now.

I want to try to get this thing working without buying a new battery if possible.
So I put it in the charger, it flashes the LG screen and the buttons are lit (and blink occasionally).
I've tried taking the battery and SD card out for ten seconds (and separately taking both out and plugging it in for ten seconds), then putting it all back and charging it, and nothing new is happening. The battery and A/C adaptors are warm so it's trying to do something.

Is there any other possible fix for charging and/or turning this thing on? Or do I just need to kiss this battery goodbye and get a new one?

Thanks for any input!

You might try this: trickle charge it via a computer USB port. It will take longer than the fast charger but it's a trick I've seen recommended for dead tablet batteries. You don't have to fully charge it via USB but just to bring the battery back a bit , some low pct that I can't recall (5-10pct?, or as long as your patience lasts I guess - then use the regular wall charger). Anyway, worth a try.

Upvote 0
Try to charge for 30 minutes first in the recovery mode. Pull battery and hold power button down for 30 seconds. Reinsert battery.
Now hold down HOME + VOLUME DOWN then the POWER button. Hold all at the same time until you see the recovery menu. Plug in the usb cable.
After 30 minutes reboot system and finish recharging.

If this doesn't work then a new battery is probably going to be needed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones