Optimus V Software Update from VMGeneral

1. fightingirish

fightingirish Well-Known Member

Some of you may have received a text from Virgin Mobile regarding a software/security update for the V. Looking through their Facebook page, it is legit.

LG Optimus V Software Update

However, there is some concern over whether this is a good update to install. Some are saying that it could prevent rooting, if that is something the user intends to do down the road. As for people who already have rooted handsets, it might be a good idea to skip this update for the time being, or possibly for good.

here the word on... | Facebook

Anyone else know anything about this update?

Advertisement
    donpatchi and Investor22 like this.
  2. fightingirish

Another warning from LG Optimus V Modding:
    [Warning] Do Not Install Virgin Mobile Security Update!

You will most likely be receiving a message from Virgin Mobile soon, stating that a security update is available for the VM670. You would be wise to avoid it for now!

This update will remove root, replace your custom recovery, and install a radio that currently is only known to be compatible with the update it comes with.

Give the devs a week or two to investigate this package, and we might find something useful in it.

[Warning] Do Not... | Facebook
  3. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

Id guess its related to the new limited "unlimited plan" changes and tethering if anything.
  4. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

It's probably being confused with the update called My ID or Mobile ID, which is specifically for the VM PCD Venture. That update has nothing to do with the OpV.
  5. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus Contributor

There is an update for the V which changes the firmware to VM670ZV9.
    Because the OTA is still broke they have been leaving text messages that read like this:VMFreeMsg A security patch is available for ur phone. Go to virginmobileusa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5662 for info & instructions on how to download
    If your rooted it will replace root. No tethering or hot spot either if you were 2.2.1
    blmbmj, Investor22 and fightingirish like this.
  6. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

LOL Andy... look what just came in on my phone.

[​IMG]

It's been promptly deleted since my phone is rooted.
    Investor22 and AndyOpie150 like this.
  7. cammykool

cammykool Well-Known Member

i havent gotten it yet is it a gradual rollout?
  8. hiwatt

hiwatt Well-Known Member

I didn't get it either. My first reaction would have been to ignore it anyway.
  9. fightingirish

Yes
  10. JerryScript

JerryScript Well-Known Member

If you have no plans to root your phone, there is nothing wrong with installing this update.

If you ever think you may want to root your phone, do not install this update! I'm sure we will eventually find a new root exploit to use, but till then, treat this as if it were a virus. ;)
  11. melim

melim Disabled

I still don't actually have plans to root per se, but I'm not gonna DL it in case I ever do. And I haven't gotten the text, either.
  12. Leemann

Leemann Well-Known Member

Have'nt seen the msg and don't plan to update.

Lee
  13. HannibalX

HannibalX Member

I've gotten the text message twice. I'm rooted and on 2.3.7 - I tether and hotspot frequently though I wouldn't say my data usage is abusive.

A friend with a stock V hasn't gotten it yet and he doesn't tether or hotspot (which you can do without rooting).

I don't know if they are targeting certain users first.
  14. melim

melim Disabled

^Possibly something to that, but there are people in this thread who are rooted and don't tether who have gotten it, so who knows. I think it's just random like the throttling message & we'll all get it eventually.
  15. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

tethering or not, I still use 3-4 gigs a month since I got my V.
    [couldn't do crap with my Loft online]
  16. G19

G19 Well-Known Member

I'm rooted and don't tether and barely use any data. I'm always on wifi. I got the text last week
  17. fightingirish

VM says that all Optimus V owners will get the text, but they are being sent out in random batches.
  18. melim

melim Disabled

Hey n9yty, PM Andy and ask him to move your post to the root forum, or if you don't want to wait around for him you could repost it in a new thread in there, where the guys will be more than happy to help you out. Good luck. :)

And now I see you've done exactly that already... carry on.
  19. Thorsten

Thorsten Well-Known Member

Or better yet, click on the Report button (look for the big tilted !) and ask any guide or moderator to move the thread. :)
  20. toprotty

toprotty New Member

i find the update useful i had a rooted optimus v with stock rom that always locked up at virgin.mobile logo. But I was able to get to recovery console install update and it now works! I would recommend it if you.have a similar issue although idk if you root it after the Update...
  21. cammykool

i guess im good rooted and never got the text LOL
  22. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

Im thinking it was for the 2.2.1 phones, and they were "removing" tethering that was active on them.
  23. cammykool

maby CWMT isnt the culprate but the ROM is
  24. Kratos5000

Kratos5000 New Member

Wow, I thought that text was spam and deleted it. I'm still running SW Version VM670ZV4.
  25. cammykool

i still havent gotten a text about it :p