Options for Contact Syncing

Last Updated:

1. BobG

BobG Member This Topic's Starter

Oct 25, 2010
    I am looking forward to getting a DroidX in two weeks when I am eligible for an upgrade. I am pondering my options for sycing contacts.

I currently have a personal Gmail account that I intend to use with the phone. However, I keep my contacts in Outlook. I do this more out of paranoia about putting my contacts online than anything. I suppose I can get over that if it's really the best option.

On my current BB I sync the contacts via USB cable and the blackberry sync software. I don't love this but it's ok since my contacts don't change more than perhaps a couple of times per week.

Ideally I would love to be able to sync without the cable and perhaps even automatically like I can with the calendar.

I have been contemplating two options:
    1. Biting the bullet and uploading all of my contacts into gmail and just keeping it synced that way. If this is truly a seamless option I might just go that way and try set aside my privacy concerns.
    2. Keeping the contacts in Outlook and using Android Manager Wifi or something similar.

I'm curios to hear from folks who are doing either one of these and how it has worked for you as well as other options that you might suggest.

2. mxsjw

mxsjw Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    You can export an outlook csv file from gmail contacts to get the format, then export an excel file from your contacts out of Outlook, copy and paste or merge the two files into the csv and then import it back to your gmail contacts list. There may be another way, but that's one option to get the info to the phone.

I have no idea how to make it sync with outlook...I look forward to hearing from others on this. I'm thinking some sort of corp exchange setting would do it, but I'm not sure.