• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Options/opinions on where to purchase the EVO 4G LTE

wanted to add my WONDERFUL experience here... pre-ordered at my BestBuy just now, #1 on the list...

$200 starting price
-$50 phone freedom (had to sign up earlier this year)
-$50 for UPGRADING on SPRINT at BestBuy (best buy / sprint combo exclusive)

$0 down-payment (chatted up the manager and he bypassed the requirement for money down)

= $100 day of pick up + potentially $50 for giving them my EVO if i feel like it (will probably go across the street and give it to sprint for $70)

= total cost $30-$50 out of pocket!!!!

feels good haha
Hold up! So you automatically get -$50 for upgrading at BB?

Upvote 0
What is this $50 for upgrading on Sprint at Best Buy deal? I am getting the 50 dollar phone freedom and I was told I didn't have to put $50 down today but I did. So I will end up owing another $100 on May 18th. But I see your getting phone freedom and another 50?

wanted to add my WONDERFUL experience here... pre-ordered at my BestBuy just now, #1 on the list...

$200 starting price

$0 down-payment (chatted up the manager and he bypassed the requirement for money down)

= $100 day of pick up + potentially $50 for giving them my EVO if i feel like it (will probably go across the street and give it to sprint for $70)

feels good haha

Upvote 0
No, they just don't charge a down payment for pre-ordered phone. When it releases you pay the full price of the phone!

No, Best Buy is only charging $150 for the phone, no matter what.

$50 Best Buy gift card offer

Pre-order the HTC EVO 4G LTE and get a $50 Best Buy gift card when you activate the phone.*
The HTC EVO 4G LTE boasts an amazing 8.0MP camera and authentic Beats Audio sound.
*Requires a 2-year agreement
with Sprint and activation through Best Buy. Gift card code will be e-mailed within 1-2 business days of phone ship date.

Upvote 0
Well I joined the phone Freedom and the phone is 200 but phone freedom people get a 50 dollar gift card right then when they pick up there phone to use towards the price of the phone making it 150. I was also told there's another deal where you get a 50 dollar card to use later for accessories. But the other person getting another 50 off for upgrading from Sprint using best buy I think is for trading in an old Evo 4G you get 50 bucks maybe that's it.

they are charging $200 though, just to clarify your statement, your INITIAL charge is still $200 (if no other offers applied) and then AFTER you pay 200, a day or two later you will receive a $50 BB card

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yeah, that's true, the initial charge is $200. In my head it makes it $150 to me, but I realize now that it might be important for some people to realize they're being charged and getting $50 back in the form of a gift card a couple days later.

The gift card for trading in your Evo 4G, if you choose to go that route, would be instant though, so then it would be just $150.

Upvote 0
Ok I gotcha an extra 50 for your EVO plus a 50 dollar best buy card. Well I'm happy with the phone freedom and getting the phone for 149. I'm selling my 3D plus accessories for 250 I hope on Friday. But then it's use an old non smart phone for a week. :-( The other 50 dollar gift card you get a couple days later doesn't come off the price of the phone but the phone freedom 50 dollar one does.

for upgrading at best buy, with a sprint account, yes

LINKS:
HTC EVO Trade-In ISO Offer

and this deal (not sure if its the same deal, reworded or another deal for the LTEVO only...
All Mobile Phones with Plans Mobile Phones : HTC_EVO_4G_LTE_Mobile_Phone - BestBuy

and last but not least, Phone Freedom
Phone Freedom

Upvote 0
I really liked my experience with Best Buy when I purchased my Photon 4G last September. I did get all the bells and whistles but I got the Photon when it was at special price of $99. By "all the bells and whistles" I mean that I got the "Buyback plan" and the "insurance." I seem to remember all of it being a good deal. I paid for 24 months of insurance up front and I received a discount on the insurance for that. They told me that if I upgraded before 24 months, that I'd get the unused portion of my insurance money back, or I could just apply it to the next phone. I thought the Buyback plan was a good idea. It should make getting my next phone a cheaper proposition, I hope.

Anyway, looking back at it, I'm not sure I should have gotten the insurance. I'm not sure if it's worth it and I've read many articles stating that you could just use your homeowners insurace to cover your mobile phone and if you purchased your mobile phone with a credit card, some cards will insure the phone automatically. These articles state that any insurance on a mobile phone is a waste of money. I'm still not sure.

I'll be interested to see what happens when I use the buyback plan to upgrade to my next phone. Maybe I should have just gotten the buyback program and not the insurance?

If anyone has any thoughts on this conundrum, let me know.

Upvote 0
No, Best Buy is only charging $150 for the phone, no matter what.

$50 Best Buy gift card offer

Pre-order the HTC EVO 4G LTE and get a $50 Best Buy gift card when you activate the phone.*
The HTC EVO 4G LTE boasts an amazing 8.0MP camera and authentic Beats Audio sound.
*Requires a 2-year agreement
with Sprint and activation through Best Buy. Gift card code will be e-mailed within 1-2 business days of phone ship date.

If $150 is the full price that's what you will have to pay! But there's no down payment.:D

Upvote 0
Ok...

======================================

Phone Freedom

I had signed up for Best Buy Phone Freedom: http://www.bestbuy.com/phonefreedom

Allegedly get a $50 Best Buy Gift Card after activiation: Gift Card Offer FAQs

=====================================

Best Buy site claims if you pre-order, you will get a $50 gift card upon activation.

HTC EVO 4G LTE - BestBuy

Save $50 when you upgrade to any new phone that works on the Sprint network, plus score a $50 Best gift card when you Trade In your gently used EVO 4G.

So ... think any of these things can be combined? I know some of the text says it can't...

Hoenstly, would be kind of BS (i.e. not special lol) if they didn't honor the Freedom thing on top of the pre-order gift card.

Anyone work at Best Buy? All so confusing .. heh

Upvote 0
Ok...

Phone Freedom

I had signed up for Best Buy Phone Freedom: http://www.bestbuy.com/phonefreedom

Allegedly get a $50 Best Buy Gift Card after activiation: Gift Card Offer FAQs

=====================================

Best Buy site claims if you pre-order, you will get a $50 gift card upon activation.

HTC EVO 4G LTE - BestBuy

Save $50 when you upgrade to any new phone that works on the Sprint network, plus score a $50 Best gift card when you Trade In your gently used EVO 4G.

So ... think any of these things can be combined? I know some of the text says it can't...

Hoenstly, would be kind of BS (i.e. not special lol) if they didn't honor the Freedom thing on top of the pre-order gift card.

Anyone work at Best Buy? All so confusing .. heh

This may be helpful, not sure...

$200 starting price

feels good haha

Ok I gotcha an extra 50 for your EVO plus a 50 dollar best buy card. Well I'm happy with the phone freedom and getting the phone for 149. I'm selling my 3D plus accessories for 250 I hope on Friday. But then it's use an old non smart phone for a week. :-( The other 50 dollar gift card you get a couple days later doesn't come off the price of the phone but the phone freedom 50 dollar one does.

Upvote 0
This may be helpful, not sure...

Thanks for the move. Started seeing the same stuff I posted on second page of this thread after I posted. Had searched for a BB specific thread. My bad. :)

About to drive down to BB and find out. I am sure they will be clueless, but, worth a shot.

At a minimum, it should be $50 for pre-order, $50 for trade-in, $50 for Freedom...

My step-son did pre-order yesterday in another city/state. They only mentioned the Freedom.

On a side note, the email order I got from my step-son said,

Order Total: $699.99

Ooof. Only 3 of my 4 phones are upgradable - was hoping to maybe use some of the discounts and whatnot to offset a 4th. Though, doing my math, if $150 off each phone (prays), and was ready to spend $200 for each, totalling $800.. and only pay $150 for 3 phones ($50 each), and maybe get $150 off the 4th that isn't eligible for discount savings, bringing down to $550 for that phone.. would be $700 for all 4 phones ... lol shrug. Probably not worth it for the 4th.

Anyway, thanks again. :)

Edit: Anyone know if you buy off contract, will Best Buy still give various discounts and gift cards? Ie one line is not eligible for discount upgrade, but if it's $550, and pay that for the line that isn't upgradable, will best buy still cough up various discounts and gift cards if I re sign for2 years?

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Yes, you can combine all for $200 off.

At Best Buy now, just read internal email. Will post pic.

IMAG0106.jpg

Upvote 0
Exactly. Best Buy rep couldn't believe it. He clicked the links from that email and it went further in detail... And what I read said yes, possible to get $200 in total gift cards and discounts.

Can you read ok? Took with phone at Best Buy. Have full email, but there.img much more to it.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Yes, you can combine all for $200 off.

At Best Buy now, just read internal email. Will post pic.

IMAG0106.jpg

Just wanted to break this down into pieces and give a little more foundation behind the discounts that are shown on the pic:

$199 upgrade/new account price for LTEvo
- $50 for purchasing the LTEvo at launch
- $50 Trade in of original EVO 4G
(This won't apply to all Sprint phones, just original EVO owners that decide to trade their phone in)
- $50 Trade in AND purchase of Sprint phone
(not necessarily specific to LTEvo purchase, just applies to any Sprint phone trade-in and purchase)
- $50 Phone Freedom Gift Card
(From what I understand, a person would've had to pre-register for this a few months ago when it was being offered...which I did, but not sure everyone has)

Assuming everyone trades in their original EVO and had pre-registered for the Freedom Gift Card, then yes, the potential savings is $200. That said, not everyone that'll be getting the LTEvo will be trading in the original EVO. It's also been mentioned that an original EVO sold on ebay or through Craig's list could still net a good amount of money, so it may be more worthwhile for people to sell the original EVO that way vs. taking the $50 credit from Best Buy.

Also, even with the $200 gift card, keep in mind that this doesn't mean the phone will be completely "free." It would still require payment of taxes and fees, as well as the Sprint activation fee. But for a launch, this is the best discount I've ever seen for a superphone...ever. In essence, people would get $100 discount from just trading in their original EVO to purchase the LTEvo. $100 for the original EVO is a decent price, especially if that is only for the phone (e.g. no sd card, no charger, no instructions, no box, etc...).

I thought I got a good deal on my Photon getting price matched down to $99 after launch, but this is an even better deal than that! Too bad the original EVO is still being used on one of my secondary lines. I'd jump on this in a heartbeat.

Reactions: NeoteriX
Upvote 0
Just wanted to break this down into pieces and give a little more foundation behind the discounts that are shown on the pic:

$199 upgrade/new account price for LTEvo
- $50 for purchasing the LTEvo at launch
- $50 Trade in of original EVO 4G
(This won't apply to all Sprint phones, just original EVO owners that decide to trade their phone in)
- $50 Trade in AND purchase of Sprint phone
(not necessarily specific to LTEvo purchase, just applies to any Sprint phone trade-in and purchase)
- $50 Phone Freedom Gift Card
(From what I understand, a person would've had to pre-register for this a few months ago when it was being offered...which I did, but not sure everyone has)

Assuming everyone trades in their original EVO and had pre-registered for the Freedom Gift Card, then yes, the potential savings is $200. That said, not everyone that'll be getting the LTEvo will be trading in the original EVO. It's also been mentioned that an original EVO sold on ebay or through Craig's list could still net a good amount of money, so it may be more worthwhile for people to sell the original EVO that way vs. taking the $50 credit from Best Buy.

Also, even with the $200 gift card, keep in mind that this doesn't mean the phone will be completely "free." It would still require payment of taxes and fees, as well as the Sprint activation fee. But for a launch, this is the best discount I've ever seen for a superphone...ever. In essence, people would get $100 discount from just trading in their original EVO to purchase the LTEvo. $100 for the original EVO is a decent price, especially if that is only for the phone (e.g. no sd card, no charger, no instructions, no box, etc...).

I thought I got a good deal on my Photon getting price matched down to $99 after launch, but this is an even better deal than that! Too bad the original EVO is still being used on one of my secondary lines. I'd jump on this in a heartbeat.

So I preordered the EVO LTE at BB. I know they mentioned you get a $50 gift card, they weren't sure if it could be used towards the purchase of the phone or given after activation. I guess that answers the question.

But your telling me, that if I trade in any Sprint phone, my old POS phone I am using now they will give me a $50 discount in addition to the other $50 preorder gift card that could be used towards the purchase of the phone? I find it hard to believe they are going to give me $50 for trading in my flip phone when I go to pick up the EVO LTE.

This is what I found on the BB website

"Savings not valid in conjunction with other offers."

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones