• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Options/opinions on where to purchase the EVO 4G LTE

So I preordered the EVO LTE at BB. I know they mentioned you get a $50 gift card, they weren't sure if it could be used towards the purchase of the phone or given after activation. I guess that answers the question.

But your telling me, that if I trade in any Sprint phone, my old POS phone I am using now they will give me a $50 discount in addition to the other $50 preorder gift card that could be used towards the purchase of the phone? I find it hard to believe they are going to give me $50 for trading in my flip phone when I go to pick up the EVO LTE.

This is what I found on the BB website

HTC EVO Trade-In ISO Offer

"Savings not valid in conjunction with other offers."

I honestly don't know.

I'm just basing my breakdown on how that picture reads. To me, purchase of a LTEvo gets a $50 gift card (maybe this is after purchase...which is very possible). The additional $50 discounts, by the way I read it, I don't see any mention of a smartphone (which, it's quite possible that there are other details that aren't shown on that picture). Nontheless, you've got me thinking on a completely different level now because I do have other Sprint phones that I'd love to trade in and get a $50 credit to apply to a new Sprint upgrade.

Who knows if that picture that was posted is authentic and it's possible that any and all limitations to those additional discounts are not shown on the pic (which is a probable scenario).

Upvote 0
If you signed up for Freedom, it would be fees only
The pic I took was from Best Buy email. Says $150 in gift cards and $50 discount.

I didn't look into the trade in too much. The links in the email I provided gave much more information. The way we read it at Best Buy, in my situation, was, yes, I will get 150 in gift cards and 50 off.

Sorry i dont have the expanded Best Buy diacussion, but what i read, Some, if not all, the gift cards canbe used towards the purchase.

Upvote 0
If you signed up for Freedom, it would be fees only
The pic I took was from Best Buy email. Says $150 in gift cards and $50 discount.

I didn't look into the trade in too much. The links in the email I provided gave much more information. The way we read it at Best Buy, in my situation, was, yes, I will get 150 in gift cards and 50 off.

Sorry i dont have the expanded Best Buy diacussion, but what i read, Some, if not all, the gift cards canbe used towards the purchase.

Ok, I'm not a Best Buy customer, so as the man said in the Chronicles of Riddick, "Break it down like you're talking to someone educated in the penal system."

So, if I sign up for this Freedom-whatever deal - does that cost?

There has to be costs, right? I can't figure out what I'm missing. :thinking: :thinking:

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Ok, I'm not a Best Buy customer, so as the man said in the Chronicles of Riddick, "Break it down like you're talking to someone educated in the penal system."

So, if I sign up for this Freedom-whatever deal - does that cost?

There has to be costs, right? I can't figure out what I'm missing. :thinking: :thinking:

It was a deal they had going a few months ago, enter your info online and next time you upgrade you get $50, it has since ended.

Wait...That may be something else. I am so confused with that offer lol So I have to trade an EVO to get $50 plus $50 or could I just upgrade and get $50? I also have buyback on my Epic, that would count as a trade right?

Upvote 0
Sorry, was in a meeting and typing with my phone.

:)

Best Buy had a program earlier this year that if all you did was provide your phone number and email address to their web site, you would be eligible for a $50 gift card if you purchased a new phone from Best Buy by the end of 2012.

You can no longer sign up for this program. I signed up as there was zero obligation and no reason not to. Check your emails, you may have.

Here is more information:

Phone Freedom: http://www.bestbuy.com/phonefreedom

Phone Freedom FAQ: Gift Card Offer FAQs

Now ... onto today's press release found here:

RSS Content - BBY.com

Today, Best Buy (NYSE:BBY) launched a pre-sale for the new HTC EVO(TM) 4G LTE from Sprint and announced a special offer - customers will receive a $50 Best Buy gift card when they purchase the device at any Best Buy, Best Buy Mobile standalone store or online at BestBuy.com. The offer runs through July 7, 2012.

And ... from SAME press release:

HTC EVO(TM) 4G Trade-In: Save $50 towards any new Sprint device when you trade in your gently used EVO 4G, plus score a $50 Best Buy gift card. This offer runs through June 2.

I don't know about trading in any other Sprint Phone. I have only read the above press release and this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Mobile-...er/pcmcat271700050019.c?id=pcmcat271700050019

All added up - "POSSIBLE" $200 in savings.

When I read the expanded information from the links in the email, it spoke about how to use the gift cards (1 or maybe all 3, I didn't read everything) towards the current purchase of the phone.

The picture I posted states,

" ... they will GET a $50 gift card to use towards the purchase!"

Then goes onto say, "to get up to $150 in gift cards and $50 in savings when they purchase the HTC EVO 4G LTE"

So --- anyone heading down to Best Buy for this deal -- ask them to read the email that came out today. Article ID 40917 published Wednesday 05/09/12.

I will scan the printed email when I get home.

Upvote 0
"- $50 Trade in of original EVO 4G
(This won't apply to all Sprint phones, just original EVO owners that decide to trade their phone in)
- $50 Trade in AND purchase of Sprint phone
(not necessarily specific to LTEvo purchase, just applies to any Sprint phone trade-in and purchase)"

Those 2 are the same thing. I called Best Buy. Only the Evo can be traded in (no other Sprint Phone). The Evo is the only phone that gets the 50/50 deal. So you can't just trade in any Sprint phone and get a $50 credit.

For those trading in the EVO it will be 50 for pre-order, 50 for EVO trade-in, plus another 50 for Evo trade-in, plus 50 for phone freedom. So you have to preorder the phone and have registered for phone freedom to get the full $200 off. Whether or not they will all be used towards the purchase of the phone or some will be gift cards after the phone is activated they are still not sure.

Upvote 0
Sorry, was in a meeting and typing with my phone.

Best Buy had a program earlier this year that if all you did was provide your phone number and email address to their web site, you would be eligible for a $50 gift card if you purchased a new phone from Best Buy by the end of 2012.

You can no longer sign up for this program. I signed up as there was zero obligation and no reason not to. Check your emails, you may have.

Here is more information:

Phone Freedom: http://www.bestbuy.com/phonefreedom

Phone Freedom FAQ: Gift Card Offer FAQs

Now ... onto today's press release found here:

RSS Content - BBY.com

Today, Best Buy (NYSE:BBY) launched a pre-sale for the new HTC EVO(TM) 4G LTE from Sprint and announced a special offer - customers will receive a $50 Best Buy gift card when they purchase the device at any Best Buy, Best Buy Mobile standalone store or online at BestBuy.com. The offer runs through July 7, 2012.

And ... from SAME press release:

HTC EVO(TM) 4G Trade-In: Save $50 towards any new Sprint device when you trade in your gently used EVO 4G, plus score a $50 Best Buy gift card. This offer runs through June 2.

I don't know about trading in any other Sprint Phone. I have only read the above press release and this:

HTC EVO Trade-In ISO Offer

All added up - "POSSIBLE" $200 in savings.

When I read the expanded information from the links in the email, it spoke about how to use the gift cards (1 or maybe all 3, I didn't read everything) towards the current purchase of the phone.

The picture I posted states,

" ... they will GET a $50 gift card to use towards the purchase!"

Then goes onto say, "to get up to $150 in gift cards and $50 in savings when they purchase the HTC EVO 4G LTE"

So --- anyone heading down to Best Buy for this deal -- ask them to read the email that came out today. Article ID 40917 published Wednesday 05/09/12.

I will scan the printed email when I get home.

The Best Buy I pre-ordered at is still telling me they are unsure if the $50 gift-card with the pre-order would be used towards the purchase of the EVO LTE. They said that it might be given after the transaction and activation and might only be used to purchase accessories or something else in the future. I don't trust them. I will definitely be printing a copy of the email that you post when I go down there to pick it up.

Upvote 0
"- $50 Trade in of original EVO 4G
(This won't apply to all Sprint phones, just original EVO owners that decide to trade their phone in)
- $50 Trade in AND purchase of Sprint phone
(not necessarily specific to LTEvo purchase, just applies to any Sprint phone trade-in and purchase)"

Those 2 are the same thing. I called Best Buy. Only the Evo can be traded in (no other Sprint Phone). The Evo is the only phone that gets the 50/50 deal. So you can't just trade in any Sprint phone and get a $50 credit.

For those trading in the EVO it will be 50 for pre-order, 50 for EVO trade-in, plus another 50 for Evo trade-in, plus 50 for phone freedom. So you have to preorder the phone and have registered for phone freedom to get the full $200 off. Whether or not they will all be used towards the purchase of the phone or some will be gift cards after the phone is activated they are still not sure.

Let's see if I have this straight.

I didn't do the Freedom thing.

I do have an Evo to trade.

I pre-order and buy by June 2, and I either pay $100 and get a $50 gift card, or I get to apply that to the purchase and I get it for $50 (to me, those are the same thing, I can always use printer supplies or something).

Am I on the right track??

Upvote 0
I originally pre-ordered from Sprint, but after spending about half an hour on the phone with them, I was able to cancel it.

I went over to Best Buy to put in my pre-order through them. There seemed to be some confusion about how to handle the pre-orders. The manager insisted to the employee that was handling my transaction that she needed to take a deposit from me. The employee had to pull up the internal email in the pre-order system that states that the deposit is to be waived for EVO LTE orders to satisfy the manager.

I did not know about the Evo trade-in, but I will certainly be doing so when I go in to pick it up. Although, given how confused the employees seem to be (especially the manager), I'm wondering if it'll be less hassle to just order through wirefly.com and then trading in my Evo 4G to Sprint for $70. Wirefly is advertising that they're waiving Sprint activation fees. That would be about $80 + $8 or so in tax for me. At least going that route means I won't have to deal with giftcards and arguing with customer service for my deals.

Upvote 0
Let's see if I have this straight.

I didn't do the Freedom thing.

I do have an Evo to trade.

I pre-order and buy by June 2, and I either pay $100 and get a $50 gift card, or I get to apply that to the purchase and I get it for $50 (to me, those are the same thing, I can always use printer supplies or something).

Am I on the right track??

Way I read it ... if you pre-order.. get $50 gift card. Trade in EVO 4G, get $50 discount, and ANOTHER $50 gift card. Bottom line for you would be $50.

As I mentioned, I'm not 100% sure the gift cards can be instantly applied towards the purchase of the phone - though the attached email definitely states at least the one for pre-ordering can be. And that there are special instructions to make it happen.

However, if you are getting multiple phones, maybe pay for one at a time, using the gift cards on the next.

Attached is the main email. I scanned to jpg so I could cut out names.

Again, the BOLD items linked linked off to MUCH more expanded information. I wish I had got THAT information. As I said, I am pretty sure I read most if not all the gift cards could be applied towards the phone... and that they are all combineable.. as again is mentioned in the attached email.

The rep was a little shocked at first by the email. His co-worker agreed that it read all were combineable.

We read and talked for awhile, and he saw no reason I couldn't get all the gift cards for my phone that isn't due for an upgrade ... especially since I would be paying more out of pocket for it. My son pre-ordered his on my account in another city and state yesterday. I wasn't able to order one on my line, but used his number in the BB computer again to pre-order 3 to my local store. Rep said the pre-orders aren't tied to the number. So he could see no real reason why I wouldn't get the $200 giftcards/discounts for my non-upgradeable phone. S, if in fact the phone is $550 off contract.. doing my math, I will get 4 EVO 4G LTE's (3 upgradeable, 1 not) for $350... as long as I re-signed my non-upgradeable line for 2 years.

I also said to him, so all that's left is activation, and he shook his head no.. I didn't get much further into that. Does BB charge activation?

31779d1336602168-options-opinions-where-purchase-evo-4g-lte-bb1.jpg

More pictures below, though, not much more information.

Attachments

• BB1.jpg
    BB1.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 325
  • BB2.jpg
    BB2.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 64
  • BB3.jpg
    BB3.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 57
Upvote 0
this is how the terms read for this. AFTER the transaction is completed, you will get a code into your e-mail that you can use later.

The Best Buy I pre-ordered at is still telling me they are unsure if the $50 gift-card with the pre-order would be used towards the purchase of the EVO LTE. They said that it might be given after the transaction and activation and might only be used to purchase accessories or something else in the future

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Ok this should be simple but I'm reading so many conflicting scenarios here. I'm going to take a crack at this....

1. I didn't do that freedom thingy....so no $50 for me.
2. I'm keeping my OG EVO....so no $50 for me lol.
3. If I preorder, I get a $50 giftcard and can I use it towards the phone?

That's all I need to know. Thanks.

Lol Earlymon beat me to it.

Upvote 0
this is how the terms read for this. AFTER the transaction is completed, you will get a code into your e-mail that you can use later.

Sorry, I think that's incorrect.

If you read the above attached email. For the pre-order:

"they will GET a $50 gift card to use towards the purchase!"

The launch guide was extremely lengthy, and I read through it for awhile. I wish someone that works at BB could post the thing in it's entirety.

It is possible the $50 trade-in and $50 Freedom gift cards won't be redeemable towards the phone. I will definitely be pushing the issue when I go in on May 18.

Upvote 0
Ok, I had Sprint promise to up my upgrade to May 18, I'll have to call them then.

I've also been perfectly satisfied to wait, I'm uber-happy with my 3vo, and want to get two of these, one for me, one for WifelyMon.

But - $50?!?! (because I can always use the other $50 gift card for printer stuff)

Ok, I hate being prodded, but that's pretty attractive, right there.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
Yeah, I am very excited about this... so, I apologize for the spam.

I wish everyone who wanted this phone had signed up for the Best Buy Freedom Phone program.

But, $50 gift card to pre-order, which, according to email can be used towards the purchase of the phone.

If you trade in OG EVO 4G, $50 discount, and another $50 gift card.

And if you did the Freedom thing, ANOTHER $50 gift card that according to the FAQ, you get following activation.

With the 3 EVO's I will be upgrading from (2 upgradeable, 1 not), I will activate and pay for each one at a time. Then, if I can't use the gift cards towards them directly, I will use them all towards the 3rd non-upgradeable phone.

REALLY REALLY need/want to read the full expanded version of the launch guide. It was very detailed and nothing I read said can't combine THESE offers - in fact - SCREAMED you could.

I was too giddy as a school girl to remember concrete facts about using the gift cards towards the purchase - but like I said, I want to say I saw nothing saying you couldn't.

EDIT: Also, the rep said if anyone pre-ordered BEFORE today - no worries. All the offers will appear in their system when they go to activate if you qualify.

And really, if it worked right, someone MIGHT be able to use this deal to get phone for $350 off contract. Again, if price is $550, and if you can apply all gift cards towards purchase price. The trick would be to be able to pre order if not ready for upgrade.

Good question.. Lol if I am still under contract, and get a new phone and renew 2 year contract, I don't get charged a eft do I?

Woot! Hurry May 18!

Upvote 0
no need to be sorry, im not the Last Word here. I am repeating what BBY stated to me about this.

i read the same e-mail you read and i also see where its worded that one is slated to get the $50 code applied at checkout. I am only repeating what was told to me.. :)

Sorry, I think that's incorrect.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
no need to be sorry, im not the Last Word here. I am repeating what BBY stated to me about this.

i read the same e-mail you read and i also see where its worded that one is slated to get the $50 code applied at checkout. I am only repeating what was told to me.. :)

You read that in the exact same email or where it linked off into that blue background page?

I think the only one that would send the code could be the trade in gift card. And certainly I could be wrong as this does all sound too good to be true... As I was prepared to shell out $200 each.

If anyone goes down tonight, have them print out the launch guide please. Lol I may swing back in there tonight.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I don't care. It's all found money to me, if you know what I mean.

If I can use at time of purchase, great. If not, I'll take the gift card and wander the store.

I'd be lying to say that there isn't $50 worth of something of mine that they have and I just haven't thought to get it yet. :D

$50 off HTC Media Link HD for wireless HDMI? Printer stuff? New cables? New headphones?

Like I said - it's just found money, is what it is right there. :) :)

Upvote 0
Way I read it ... if you pre-order.. get $50 gift card. Trade in EVO 4G, get $50 discount, and ANOTHER $50 gift card. Bottom line for you would be $50.

As I mentioned, I'm not 100% sure the gift cards can be instantly applied towards the purchase of the phone - though the attached email definitely states at least the one for pre-ordering can be. And that there are special instructions to make it happen.

However, if you are getting multiple phones, maybe pay for one at a time, using the gift cards on the next.

Attached is the main email. I scanned to jpg so I could cut out names.

Again, the BOLD items linked linked off to MUCH more expanded information. I wish I had got THAT information. As I said, I am pretty sure I read most if not all the gift cards could be applied towards the phone... and that they are all combineable.. as again is mentioned in the attached email.

The rep was a little shocked at first by the email. His co-worker agreed that it read all were combineable.

We read and talked for awhile, and he saw no reason I couldn't get all the gift cards for my phone that isn't due for an upgrade ... especially since I would be paying more out of pocket for it. My son pre-ordered his on my account in another city and state yesterday. I wasn't able to order one on my line, but used his number in the BB computer again to pre-order 3 to my local store. Rep said the pre-orders aren't tied to the number. So he could see no real reason why I wouldn't get the $200 giftcards/discounts for my non-upgradeable phone. S, if in fact the phone is $550 off contract.. doing my math, I will get 4 EVO 4G LTE's (3 upgradeable, 1 not) for $250... as long as I re-signed my non-upgradeable line for 2 years.

I also said to him, so all that's left is activation, and he shook his head no.. I didn't get much further into that. Does BB charge activation?

31779d1336602168-options-opinions-where-purchase-evo-4g-lte-bb1.jpg

More pictures below, though, not much more information.

I was all set on not upgrading early. I hope the discounts last long enough for the other superphones that are being released.

Worse case scenario, I'm still getting my $50 Phone freedom discount, but I'd love to be able to get the additional discounts when I finally do take my last 1 year upgrade.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I don't care. It's all found money to me, if you know what I mean.

If I can use at time of purchase, great. If not, I'll take the gift card and wander the store.

I'd be lying to say that there isn't $50 worth of something of mine that they have and I just haven't thought to get it yet. :D

$50 off HTC Media Link HD for wireless HDMI? Printer stuff? New cables? New headphones?

Like I said - it's just found money, is what it is right there. :) :)

What's the price on that HTC Media Link?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones