Options to Replacing Eris for Silent BugGeneral

Last Updated:

1. gadgetmom88

gadgetmom88 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just wanted to let everyone know what happened after I replaced my Eris 3 times for the Silent Bug. I kept getting a refurbished device and the silent bug would pop up a few days after receiving it. Probably because Verizon is just factory resetting silent bug devices and then sending them back out as refurbished. Anyway - When I called for my 4th replacement, they offered for me to get a new device since the silent bug is a known problem with no solution. They offered any device - Ally, Droid, Incredible... I opted out on the Incredible because it's backordered and I need a phone. I got the Ally and found out that they gave me the phone by making my account eligible for an early upgrade. So it extends my 2-year contract. So I went to the Verizon store, told them I'm not happy with the Ally and they ordered an Incredible for me. They told me to keep the Ally until the Incredible comes in. Just a thought for those of you who have been suffering through the silent bug - here's an upgrade path to the Incredible or other phone.

Advertisement
  2. fmadrigal

fmadrigal Well-Known Member

I'm actually going in today to the VZw Store I purchased my eris phone w/ the silent call bug and 50% awake cell standby bug. I'm pretty fed up and I'm going to ask for the same thing. I'm already eligible for an upgrade but I don't want to use it. I'm on my second replacement phone.

3. gadgetmom88

gadgetmom88 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

If you aren't successful in the store, call customer service. They have more resources to find out the bugs and the current state of a fix. I had no luck in the store myself, though I'm sure it depends on the store and salesperson you get.

4. fmadrigal

Yeah the way that I got my first replacement was by calling customer Service/Tech support. I even spoke with a Supervisor there and she said that there was nothing that she could do for me, but that my upgrade was available soon. So now i'm going to try the VZW Store...

So I just came back from the Verizon Store. I got them to give me an Eris w/ 1.5...so I can now try to root =))

5. Zerethusta

Zerethusta Well-Known Member

How did you get an eris with 1.5?

6. fmadrigal

My main points were

1. I purchased the phone in great condition w/o the upgrade. My phone didn't start acting up until VERIZON told me to upgrade. I Upgraded with problems and had I known that there was going to be problems I would have returned the phone within my 30 days of purchase and got the Moto Droid!!

2. I don't want to use my upgrade because VZW is basically telling me "Sorry that we screwed you, here why don't you use your upgrade so you can give us MORE money and extend your contract some more!" ....no Thank you

3. If I had cable television and paid for HBO Channels and the Cable company pushes an upgrade to my cable box and I lose all my HBO Channels i'm going to call the Cable company to fix it or give me my money back...NOT THE MANUFACTURE OF THE CABLE BOX!!! (In this case HTC) feel free to use a different analogy. =)

So she said well we have Eris in Stock that have not been updated, I can give you one of those and all you have to do is not upgrade. Okay I'm fine with that!

7. rycheme

rycheme Well-Known Member

I put in for my refurb today (50% signal bug and silent bug). The Verizon rep was swearing up and down that he had never heard of it, but then conceded when he looked in the Product Issues Log. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it's still 1.47, although I'm not holding my breath since it's a 'like new' replacement.

8. Mrdroid921

Mrdroid921 Well-Known Member

How does one find out if this bug is on the phone?
    I just bought a preowned Droid Eris, and want to
    make sure I don't have it.

Thanks.

9. Zerethusta

Zerethusta Well-Known Member

I've yet to find a reliable "How to activate the silent bug"

Keep using it a lot, and if suddenly you have no audio (no speakers/microphone in call, notifications, ringtones, etc) then you have it.