• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Orange 2.2 update

One of my best friends is Head of Android product development for Motorola. I mentioned the delay to 2.2 on Orange and he says that any delay will be down to Orange just being slow at approving the update and checking it all blends well with their services, nothing to do with filling 2.2 up with Orange branded crap.

In fact, from meetings he's had with Orange regarding Android software, Orange are fully aware that their customers don't want, and don't use, their branded apps and programs.

Upvote 0
2.2 gives the ability to install apps to the SD card.
I believe Orange Desire's came with at least a 4gb card
This gives Orange a green light to bloat-load their version of 2.2 as what does it matter? Users can install their apps on the SD card and they can fill up the rest with Orange garbage.

I'd love to root mine but I'm too scared of bricking the thing.

do it! ive only had my desire for about a month or so maybe a bit more and it kept getting full up due to all the bloatware, i purely wanted to remove it and to have apps 2 sd feature and went searching online (never had an android before so i was oblivious to everything)
Found a really good step by step guide to rooting, did that and then flashed a new ROM.
My desire in orange branded but now has all bloatware removed, is on 2.2, can move apps to sd and has a totally new launcher and loads of new features. It took me about 25 minutes to follow all the steps (very slowly) but anybody can do it.

Upvote 0
Aaaargh! Everyone keeps posting how they have easily and quickly debranded their Orange phone and when I eagerly click on the link it always involves Windows.

Does anyone have a step by step guide using a Mac? Is this indeed possible?

Cheers.

im not saying yes of course u can.....but i am pretty sure....reason being...part of the rooting / debrainding bit has a batch file u need to use and with each rooting package ive downloaded there are always either a windows/linux/mac file to choose from accordingly so surely they are there for use?

Upvote 0
Device: HTC Desire on Orange

Just spoke to someone at Orange customer service re 2.2 update.

Initially he told me to go to the HTC website support and download it, then agreed with me that probably wouldn't work on a branded Orange phone.

Eventually after speaking to several line managers he anounced that I and everyone else waiting for Froyo would receice a text with instructions to download it in the first week of October...and to call back if I hadn't received anything on the 1st or 2nd. I then spoke to a supervisor who said it would probably be released "in October sometime" and could not give any indication of exactly when in October.

He said this was the latest up to date information and that there were still some bugs to sort out....etc, etc.

I think we have a while to wait yet.....

Has anyone really got 2.2 on an Orange branded phone??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones