Orange and T-mobile

Last Updated:

1. Haste75

Haste75 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just wanted to refresh for those that arent aware of this coming merger.

"from 5th October, 30 million customers

Advertisement
  2. FelixofMars

FelixofMars Well-Known Member

This seems interesting at least, maybe means a better signal on Orange. Hope this means they stop with the 3G dropping.

3. snowmobile

snowmobile Well-Known Member

Strange that the quote only mentions making calls and sending texts. What about data use? Will that be classed as roaming?

Personally I am concerned that, as a T Mobile customer with a usually reliable signal, I may end up on an unreliable Orange 3G signal.

4. Haste75

Haste75 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I only included a very small part of the whole quote.

Data is included, as thats just counted as normal signal.
    For those that are interested, here's the entire press release:

UK'S BIGGEST MOBILE COVERAGE BOOST ENABLES 30 MILLION PEOPLE TO USE PHONES IN MORE PLACES THAN EVER BEFORE
    Orange and T-Mobile to offer customers access to both networks at no extra cost as first benefit of newly merged company Everything Everywhere

5. mikebell

mikebell Well-Known Member

Not looking forward to the day when the ditzy Orange cinema ads become 'Everything Everywhere'. Doesn't exactly trip off the tongue, does it?

6. Hadron

Hadron VIP Member VIP Member

7. geemacd

geemacd Well-Known Member

Know I don't get an orange signal in my house, so view better not kill the tmobile mast near me or I will be cancelling my contract, same as I did when three changed mast providers and I lost all signal

8. Outrunner

Outrunner Member

On the 10th October, Three and T-Mobile should start sharing their 3G networks, MBNL have been managing the project for the past 2 years now.

9. snowmobile

snowmobile Well-Known Member

So if we then have 3, Orange and t mobile sharing the same 3g network will that really improve the customer experience? Or will there be more signal drop outs as a result of too many people trying to connect to the same mast?

10. Jooky85

Jooky85 Member

How does this effect Virgin Mobile who are backed by T-Mobile's network (i believe)?

11. Hadron

Hadron VIP Member VIP Member

I thought 3's roaming deal with Orange was for 2G when outside their own (3G only) network's coverage.

As for Orange and T-mobile, the combined network will have most or all of the spectrum of the 2 individual networks (can't remember whether they had to give any up), so you'll be able to handle more users on a single mast than either can currently. They'll also have more masts, but presumably they'll want to reduce some of the duplication to save costs (e.g. there are neighbouring Orange and T-mob masts overlooking my house, which cannot make sense in the long run).