orange branded desire, rooting, unlocking & froyo

Last Updated:

1. gmarkj

gmarkj Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am toying with the idea of putting a Froyo Rom on my desire, but have several questions that aren't answered in other posts.
    1. Will I need to unlock my phone before, during or after changing the Rom? I am not overly bothered by the orange stuff on my phone, but am worried about losing my WiFi connections!
    2. Do I need a goldcard? Some instructions say yes, other no. None mention orange handsets specifically.
    3. Which is the easiest & safest method to root my phone, if I want to put the Froyo Rom on it?
    4. What if I want to change Roms - do I need to do the whole process again? I've seen something about a Rom manager, but where do you get it and how does it work?
    5. Which Rom do I use? I've looked at some I'd the modacco forum ROMs, but most don't actually say what you do or don't get with them.
    6. What's that difference between a2sd and a2sd+? Does it come as part of the ROM or so I news to get it separately?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but thought is ask here dost for guidance - most of the modacco stuff went sailing over my head!

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

There is actually an "all things root" sub forum at the top of this page btw.

1. Will I need to unlock my phone before, during or after changing the Rom? I am not overly bothered by the orange stuff on my phone, but am worried about losing my WiFi connections!

You dont need to unlock as far as I am aware. The lock is hard coded in, so even if you root, it will remain simlocked unless you put an unlock code in.

2. Do I need a goldcard? Some instructions say yes, other no. None mention orange handsets specifically.

If you use the 1-click root guide in the afore mentioned forum, you do not need a gold card. All other methods you need a goldcard if you are using an operaator supplied (branded) device

3. Which is the easiest & safest method to root my phone, if I want to put the Froyo Rom on it?

1-click method is easiest apparently. All methods carry a slight risk. Different guides (for normal methods) may be required depending what version of HBOOT you have

4. What if I want to change Roms - do I need to do the whole process again? I've seen something about a Rom manager, but where do you get it and how does it work?

Once rooted, install ROM manager. It has an option to install from SD card. Make sure the rom is on the sd card ;)

5. Which Rom do I use? I've looked at some I'd the modacco forum ROMs, but most don't actually say what you do or don't get with them.

Not sure, I'm not ready for froyo.

6. What's that difference between a2sd and a2sd+? Does it come as part of the ROM or so I news to get it separately?

A2SD is part of Froyo. A2SD+ is the older but better method which you get on rooted roms. All Froyo's come with the former. They will specify additionally if they come with the latter

3. gmarkj

gmarkj Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Cheers Dan.

Have looked in there too, but again the answers seem to vary dependant on who answers them!

Think I'll reread both this and the root forum over the weekend and might give it a go if I'm feeling brave!

4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Personally, i like the r6 guide. Only because I know it and am familiar with it. Rooting a friends this weekend and will use this. Only thing is, its a generic 2.1 image.

Once done though, you can install rom manager and install any rom from there.

Thing is, it DOES require a goldcard the first time.

http://android.modaco.com/content/h...e-now-with-hboot-0-80-and-os-to-1-21-support/