• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Orange Branding ?

Smg

Android Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2009
Essex - England - UK
hi all i am thinking of leaving t-mobile and going back to orange at the moment i have the G1 but its on its last legs and i wanna get a nice new desire.

am leaving t-mobile because both me and my fiancee have both experienced bad customer service and i used to be a orange custom and was happy.

the only thing i am worried about is the orange branding ? i saw one vid on youtube and it showed some french persons desire on orange and one of the widgets i think it was for news well it did'nt look like the standard htc one but a orange version so am i right in thinking orange have changed the widgets to their own ones ? and if so can you still just use the htc ones are would i be stuck?.

another thing i would like to know is have orange diasbled the live wallpapers or do they still work ok ?.

ive had a play with both an unbranded version (Girlfriends t-mobile phone) and the branded orange one in phones4u and from a play around with it as far as i could tell you couldnt change the widgets from oranges. I didn't check the live wallpapers so don't know about that.

I'd suggest going to carphone warehouse as i'm pretty sure they carry unbranded phones then just add your sim from said network too it. i'm not 100% sure so if you go in make sure you ask :)

Upvote 0
I've got mine on Orange and apart from the little Orange logo on the back and the startup screento be honest it doesn't bother me. You do get an Orange home screen if you want to use it but you can use an HTC one like i do. The widgets you get don't bother me in the slightest and you can remove them from your home screens if you don't want them, it really is not a problem. Don't let it put you off getting one directly from Orange.

I will flash mine eventually but i'm in no rush

Upvote 0
Yes if you get it from Orange direct you could get them to give you a better deal but you will have orange widgets. Flashing will not damage the phone and is a easy thing to do. Its nothing like rooting your phone as that can be bad as apps get full root access.

does flashing invaliadte any insurance(if any phone insurance used), for example if i flashed mine and it was faulty could i still return it for a replacement

Upvote 0
does flashing invaliadte any insurance(if any phone insurance used), for example if i flashed mine and it was faulty could i still return it for a replacement

I think it would, but if your that cautious about it then you can wait till someone uploads a orange ROM so in case anything goes wrong you can reflash it back to orange.

My SE c905 from orange had that annoying orange side bar so I flashed it and the phone broke a few months later and I forgot to reflash back to orange and they never said anything about it.

Reactions: DCFC79
Upvote 0
I think it would, but if your that cautious about it then you can wait till someone uploads a orange ROM so in case anything goes wrong you can reflash it back to orange.

My SE c905 from orange had that annoying orange side bar so I flashed it and the phone broke a few months later and I forgot to reflash back to orange and they never said anything about it.

still undecided whether to get an unbranded 1 or whether to get 1 on contract when i upgrade my phone, when i say insurance its not direct from orange but via my bank so i dont think it would matter if i flashed it as i wouldnt return it to orange anyway if it went faulty

Upvote 0
I have a orange branded one and it doesnt bother me one bit, speak with orange retentions and barter for a good deal, i find they fold faster than superman on laundry day :)

I doubt I will be able to speak to retentions at the moment as my contract dont end till July and I can upgrade from tomo. Only thing I can do is talk to retentions and say "I am thinking about paying off rest of my contract and leaving for t-mobile" and see what kinda deal they offer*:p

Im looking for free phone on

Upvote 0
I was able to upgrade jan 10th and contract was up today. Rang orange last thursday to check on availability and it was so upgraded there and then, didnt even need to ask for retentions;i normally do after stamping my feet and crossing my arms :D

The offer i got was the phone for free, stay on my exsisting talk plan which is dolphin25 discounted down to

Upvote 0
I was able to upgrade jan 10th and contract was up today. Rang orange last thursday to check on availability and it was so upgraded there and then, didnt even need to ask for retentions;i normally do after stamping my feet and crossing my arms :D

The offer i got was the phone for free, stay on my exsisting talk plan which is dolphin25 discounted down to

Upvote 0
You first need to be made aware that doing this will invalidate your warranty and you'll be pretty much screwed if something goes wrong...

You need to:

1. Make a gold card (search Google, plenty of guides about)
2. Get the generic RUU (click the version number in my signature)
3. Have HTC Sync installed on your PC

Once you have your gold card, have it in your phone and connect the phone to your PC. Select 'HTC Sync' from the menu on the phone and open HTC Sync on your PC. Once it says 'connected' then just run the RUU and it will flash the stock ROM in place of the Orange one. It will remove ALL data, though, so you'll need to set the phone up again

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones