Orange /EE jelly bean update

1. laddie79

laddie79 Member

Hi guys,

Just spoke to Orange customer service and the update for the none LTE phones was due to be released on December 1st but got delayed and there is now no ETA of the software update to Jelly Bean.

So tempted to root but I don't really know how big a risk that really is. Any help would be greatly appreciated... Feel free to post more orange - related frustrations!
    This is posted from the UK :)

Advertisement
    :
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

3. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Well-Known Member

I've moved this to all things root:)

As mentioned give the sticky a read. If you do decide to root just take your time and ask if you're unsure and we'll be happy to help
  4. laddie79

laddie79 Member

Thanks guys.

My only concern is that so many of the root guides seem to be America-specific for Sprint etc. and I am on Orange in the UK (what is now EE).

I'm worried I'd use an incompatible ROM or something like that. Does anyone know of any specific ROMs to either use or avoid?

Also, I read about unrooting a phone - is this entirely possible should something go wrong?

I like my phone too much for it to be a paper weight :)
  5. SUroot

There is only one root guide in this section and its for the international version that you have.

Both Shotgun and I are from the UK too so we know where to direct you

Get all your roms from the gt-i9300 section on xda
  6. laddie79

laddie79 Member

7. Yatezy

Yatezy Well-Known Member

If you flash a stock firmware then no you don't need to be rooted but I think it's usually best to flash something that isn't an OTA firmware, you can get all the latest releases from xda.

That guide is just showing you how to manually update your phone.
  8. Alt230

Alt230 Member

I'm new here. I've rooted my phone and very carefully removed some of the bloatware from the Galaxy SIII. I installed Titanium backup and a lot of funware. I can't remember is clockworkmod recovery part of the installed software?

What is "flashing" and how do I flash Jellybean? There is a new Verizon update but it isn't working. BTW my phone is an SCHi535 (Verizon).
  9. SUroot

This is the international phone model sub forum so we cannot answer you with any degree of certainty. Different models and all..

Post a thread here if the answer isnt obvious:

(Verizon) Galaxy S3 - All Things Root - Android Forums
  10. laddie79

laddie79 Member

I've rooted and run triangle away:

what now?!?
  11. SUroot

Flash a custom rom such as wanam in my signature
  12. laddie79

laddie79 Member

Am I good to use an official firmware from

SamMobile Firmware Page

second one down?

sorry - it's all baby steps!!
  13. SUroot

Why root then? I don't understand your ultimate goal here. Perhaps elaborate on what you want because you don't need to root to flash official roms so I'm confused
  14. sprogs3

sprogs3 New Member

well orange are way behind again all the others have it but not orange yet again last come on orange pull your finger out
  15. laddie79

laddie79 Member

yep, basically orange are way behind and I'm wanting 4.1.2.

Do I not need to root to do this via Sammobile?

If not, do you recommend I unroot and just flash the firmware over?
  16. CDPlant

CDPlant Guides Guide

Since you're rooted you should go for custom ROMs, they are usually much better than the stock firmware. Wanam lite and omega are good ones to try
  17. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

Wow had no idea youre a mod Shotgun!!
    N u still have time to help.
    Nice one. Have a few :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer: on me :)
  18. funkylogik

Ps OP read my thread "rooting for PC idiots" lol ;)
  19. kromagg

kromagg New Member

u do not need to root ur phone ot get jb.. just unbrand it - take al sh.t from orange fromj ur phone.. it will still be locked to network but os will be pure from samsung...
    I know I'm with orange and got jb since november ^^

i got video on youtube but I'm not allowed to post it here..
    just go check channel kromaggo2pl there is a video how to debrand ur phone nice and easy :p no need to risk rooting....
  20. silvertrain

silvertrain New Member

Orange Helpers Hi Silver,

Thanks for your Post.

We have approved the Jelly Bean update and we are waiting for Samsung to confirm when it will be uploaded to the servers. Once this has been done, our customers will see this on KIES and then be able to download the update.

If you haven
  21. SL1D3R84

SL1D3R84 New Member

22. funkylogik

Sorry i just posted a rediculous reply lol!
    I blame the :beer: