Orange Forum

Last Updated:

1. DaddyCee

DaddyCee Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there one?

I'm pretty sure that Orange will not be removing the crap that comes on their standard handsets unlike Vodafone. I was wondering if their is a forum which is frequented by Orange staff so that I can vent my annoyance and hopefully get them to also reverse their decision.

If there isn't a direct one, anyone know of a decent one i.e. digitalspy or someat?

Advertisement
  2. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

Nice idea, not sure if anything exists. There's nothing on the Orange website, which is probably a good thing from Orange's point of view! Would be good to vent to Orange about the preinstalled software, Vodafone's 2.2 release shows how it SHOULD be done, though I doubt Orange will do the same.

3. rtb35

rtb35 Well-Known Member

4. DaddyCee

how about setting up a facebook group as well, that seemed to get the attention of the press for the Vodafone case.

5. DaddyCee

right done > link

shauny13 likes this.
  6. Eris Ed

DaddyCee likes this.
  7. JudithPrietht

JudithPrietht Well-Known Member

i've been e-mailing their customer services about this. got stonewalled a few times; one reply even said 'we can't answer your account specific query due to confidentiality issues - please call 150 to speak to an advisor blah blah' which is all kinds of bullsh*t.

recently got this;

'Dear Judith

Thank you for your email regarding the HTC Desire.

I am sorry to learn that you are unhappy about the Orange branded software on your phone and I understand the frustration this must be causing.

At present Orange do not have any plans to remove the Orange software.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us with your views on the service we provide. It is through feedback such as yours that we are able to assess the effectiveness of our service.

Kind regards

Mark

Orange Online Services'

I also wrote back asking where they made it clear that rather then selling the HTC Desire as detailed on the HTC site and numerous reviews, they were selling a branded version with disabled and additional software, etc... this was the reply;

'The branding would not be mentioned on the website as we are simply listing a product that is compatible with use with the Orange network. The custom software just ensures that all facilities on the handset will work correctly on the Orange network.'

8. DaddyCee

join the FB group and post that response, it may help us in our quest.

9. Mercifull

Mercifull Member

A very dissapointing email posted by JP.

Its complete and utter BS that "The custom software just ensures that all facilities on the handset will work correctly on the Orange network" because unbranded handsets work fine on the Orange network.

If Froyo comes bundled with crapware then it will be debranded within a week. Never getting a phont from orange again.

10. DaddyCee

or get the phone through CPW instead.

11. JudithPrietht

JudithPrietht Well-Known Member

feel free to quote those e-mails on the group page

DaddyCee likes this.
  12. DaddyCee

Thanks for that, have added the details and removed your name.

13. Jhaeh

Jhaeh Well-Known Member

Joined and commented.

14. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

15. MCS81

MCS81 Active Member

I have an HTC Desire on the Orange network (bought via Carphonewarehouse)
    I'm on Android version 2.2 and my lock bar is tagged with 'Orange' but I see no other sign of the apps listed on the FaceBook group. Have I somehow ended up being sold a Desire pre-unlocked from the Orange software or by going through a middleman did I avoid it completely? I'm not complaining as either way it seems I've dodged a bullet I'm just a little confused how I've managed it! :D

16. westbros

westbros Well-Known Member

Carphone Warehouse always sell unbranded and unlocked phones. If you had bought the phone from an Orange shop you would have got all the Orange "bloatware". The fact that you've got Android 2.2 confirms that you've got an unlocked phone because 2.2 will only be released on branded phones in the next few weeks.

MCS81 likes this.
  17. FelixofMars

FelixofMars Well-Known Member

Agreed, what rot lots of us are now running rooted phones with Froyo or a custom rom with no issues on Orange. Also all the CPW guys saying they have downloaded HTC's rom direct as they are unbranded but on Orange contracts.

How come none of us are having any issues without the 'amazing' Orange bloatware, and the removal of Google Talk. In fact the lack of this stuff makes the phone less cluttered and us less able to accidently sign up to crap we don't need.

I am sure some guys on here got signed up to their Traffic TV app by accident. One click seems to be all it took.

18. DaddyCee

25 members on the FB group. We need more so please spread the word.

19. Eris Ed

The 'Orange' on the lock bar simply shows you are using the Orange network. Pop a Vodafone SIM in your phone and their name will appear on the lock.

20. redwinnie

redwinnie Member

How can you possibly complain that the phone you brought through orange has orange branding on it? Have you never used a mobile before? Every phone I have brought in the last ten years has had branding and programmes on it from the company I brought it through, whether that be orange, o2 or Vodafone. Its not something knew, and surely you knew this would be the case before you brought it?

The only way to get an unbranded phone without messing with it is to buy sim free. Thought Everyone knew this?

21. DaddyCee

22. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Why not post a link to the group in the Orange section in the carrier forum?

23. DaddyCee

Thanks for that. Do you think its fair though? After all you pay enough for the handset over your contract period surely you should have the option whether you have a demo version of Tetris or not.

All we would like to do is to get Orange to follow in the same vain as Vodafone and remove the branded apps instead of forcing them on to their users.

24. DaddyCee

OK, will see how the General Forum section does for now. If not much feedback then will take a look at the Carrier Section.

25. wuthton

wuthton Well-Known Member

Could I suggest that you advertise your group on XDA Desire, XDA Hero, Modaco Desire, Modaco Hero.

I'm currently 2 days and 5 phone calls into sorting a slow speed issue with my Orange broadband. A Yorkshire accent and a Dehli accent is not a mix that works well for for a technical conversation.

Any grief you can give Orange will only improve my day.