• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Orange Forum

How can you possibly complain that the phone you brought through orange has orange branding on it? Have you never used a mobile before? Every phone I have brought in the last ten years has had branding and programmes on it from the company I brought it through, whether that be orange, o2 or Vodafone. Its not something knew, and surely you knew this would be the case before you brought it?

The only way to get an unbranded phone without messing with it is to buy sim free. Thought Everyone knew this?

True, but the latest smartphones are different from all the other phones I've used in the past. They are mobile computers more than phones. 'Normal' phones can't be customized like a smartphone, and the branded apps/features that cannot be uninstalled do nothing to 'enhance the user experience' as the networks claim.

I get branded software on a new PC, but I can uninstall it. I can add software to my Desire, but I can uninstall that too. An app that my network says I must have, that I don't use or want, is just wasting space but I can't uninstall it. I have no problem with being given access to network specific apps and tools as part of my contract, but adding it to the ROM is a trend than needs to be reversed to suit the current smartphone user requirements

In my humble opinion.

Upvote 0
Could I suggest that you advertise your group on XDA Desire, XDA Hero, Modaco Desire, Modaco Hero.

I'm currently 2 days and 5 phone calls into sorting a slow speed issue with my Orange broadband. A Yorkshire accent and a Dehli accent is not a mix that works well for for a technical conversation.

Any grief you can give Orange will only improve my day.

Thanks for the suggestion(s). Can anyone help with this that are forum members for these sites?

Upvote 0
more from an Orange Customer Services representative, in a recent e-mail regarding the forthcoming FroYo update;

'I would like to advise that Orange customers are not able to obtain firmware updates direct from HTC themselves, this is due to the Orange branding that you have on your phone that allows you to use this on our network.

Please find below a link to our website where you are able to check in the future if an update via Orange has been released.
http://www2.orange.co.uk/servlet/Satellite?c=OUKPage&catID=1096364420631&cid=1096359217080&itemid=1221037995178&itemtype=HowTo&mid=1127450772656&pagename=OUKPersonal&pid=1096364420640&product=Feature&t=Product&tabid=1
Be aware that your handset may not be available on the listings until if or when an update is released.

When a new update is made available by a handset manufacturer they will pass a version of this to Orange so that we can run the required tests to confirm that this update they have released will co-exist with the Orange branding that you are required to use on your phone.

It is possible that the new update that is released may not co-exist with the Orange branding and thus we will not be able to release the update for the HTC Desire, if they can not co-exist and we were to release this to your phone, this could effectively be detrimental to your handset and Orange will not process for this reason.

If the update version can not co-exist with the Orange branding then we will wait for HTC to release a new update to which we will restart the testing process accordingly.

Be aware that it is not possible to advise of any estimated timescale for the testing of this update by Orange, furthermore, we can not guarantee that an update will be released at all regarding the HTC Desire as the updates that could be released may never work alongside the Orange branding on the phone.'

Upvote 0
Could I suggest that you advertise your group on XDA Desire, XDA Hero, Modaco Desire, Modaco Hero.

I'm currently 2 days and 5 phone calls into sorting a slow speed issue with my Orange broadband. A Yorkshire accent and a Dehli accent is not a mix that works well for for a technical conversation.

Any grief you can give Orange will only improve my day.

I've got Orange broadband too and mine seems to have gone very slow. What have they said to you?

Upvote 0
OK group is now up to 87 members, so its climbing slowly in numbers. Still a long way to go though.

Any ideas on boosting the numbers will be taken on board and considered so feel free to let me know.

Cheers.

An Idea might be to edit the first comment about Orange being cocksuckers lol :D Whilst this may be true, it makes the campaign feel a tad chavvy ;) Just my ten penneths worth :D

Reactions: nx1977
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones