Orange France woes

Last Updated:

1. Sosu2211

Sosu2211 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

You have probably seen treads like this a lot, but i have been having trouble finding exact answers to my questions - wondering if people can help me out!

I got an HTC Desire from Orange France about 6 weeks ago, and have been appalled by the rubbish on there. I have downloaded Youtube, Gmail, GTalk etc to get it up to speed on the apps I actually want, but I understand I can't actually delete any of the Orange pre-installed stuff.

I work outside France, so want to unlock the phone, but Orange have quoted me a lot, so I have gone to 2 #rd party websites recommended by these boards, and both have told me that the phone imei is too new to be in the database atm :/

Also, I am yet to see the 2.2 update, and dread the rubbish that will be in there...

So...

I am wondering, is there any way I can unlock the phone myself? And then once that is done, run a totally stok version of Android, without any orange interference?

Any help and advice on this is really appreciated!

Sosu

Advertisement
  2. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

Sosu2211 likes this.
  3. Sosu2211

Many thanks for the reply and info anoniemouse! :)

Just checked out the links and am so tempted to give it a go. Only issue I have it that I don't have a windows PC to run some of the apps, only Mac OS X and Ubuntu :/ Guess I'll give it a miss for the time being and see what the default Orange install of 2.2 is like... wonders may never cease and it may have less junk than last time!

4. anoniemouse

A lot of the original rooting methods required a linux machine to interface properly with the phone, i am sure there will be alternatives on the various sites.

5. Sosu2211

Well, I plucked up the courage earlier, and got to work on debranding:

Used this guide for creating a goldcard in Mac OS X here:

Howto root HTC G1/Dream under Mac OS X or Linux Mapleator

And then the guide to updating to 2.2 without windows by copying the update directly to the gold card:

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/177907-froyo-2-09-405-8-update-windows-not-required.html

It worked a treat!! I can't believe that I didn't do it earlier. The difference in the phone is like night and day.

I have not had any wifi connectivity errors or issues, connecting to my wifi network still works great, and also 3g/gprs etc seems to be working fine (although I am roaming atm so only had it turned on for seconds).

It has led me on to 3 more questions though:

1. The phone is still locked to Orange in France, but I get my unlock code from them tomorrow - can I just enter the code and forget about it, treating the phone like a normal unlocked Desire?

2. When I want to update to any new versions of Android, can I use the update function in the phone? or will this still be tied to Orange and reuse an orange image?

3. The MicroSD card I used to make the goldcard is only 4gig, and for photos and music I need a bigger one. Can I buy say a 16 gig card and do the same procedure to create a new goldcard, or I am now tied to this 4gig card all the time?

Any help appreciated!

Many thanks,

Sosu

6. anoniemouse

If you are not rooted & just using a generic rom you can use the update on the phone, this will be the updates htc push out & not your carrier updates.
    Once you input your unlock code the phone will be like fully free from Orange restrictions & open to use any sim card, as it will be like it was brought as an open phone from scratch.
    You can make any sd card to a gold card to work with your phone, just use the same procedure you already used.

Sosu2211 likes this.
  7. Sosu2211

Thanks so much for the reply! Looks like I am home free finally :)

I unlocked the phone today... currently on a local Swiss carrier. I went to a 3rd party after another 'discussion' with Orange who quoted me

8. anoniemouse

I am on Orange UK & they quoted silly money for unlocking, i also went to a 3rd party site too.
    Glad you are all sorted out though m8.