• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Orange HTC Desire

Jberry92

Lurker
Oct 15, 2010
Hi all

Just got my desire, great phone loving it so far but unfortunately orange have put a load of rubbish on that I do not want.

I've read some other threads about creating a gold card, and I was starting to understand it. However I then found another link explaining how to do it, and that if you do not have HBOOT 0.80 or 0.83 (I have 0.93) and an SLCD screen not to try and flash the phone with the same method, and I was just wondering if this applies to the methods listed on these forums

If anyone could shed any light on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Hi all

Just got my desire, great phone loving it so far but unfortunately orange have put a load of rubbish on that I do not want.

I've read some other threads about creating a gold card, and I was starting to understand it. However I then found another link explaining how to do it, and that if you do not have HBOOT 0.80 or 0.83 (I have 0.93) and an SLCD screen not to try and flash the phone with the same method, and I was just wondering if this applies to the methods listed on these forums

Also as I am quite new to this, is it best to use the standard HTC Froyo rom or are there better ones available?

If anyone could shed any light on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Upvote 0
Sounds lime the guides you were reading are for rooting (super user access). These are out of date now.

Rooting would give you the ability to remove the orange crap from the phone, but you could also achieve this by flashing an official HTC Operating system (a generic one, not branded).

You would still need a goldcard though.

I suggest you read through this rooting subforum to decide if you really need root (it can explain its advantages) or whether you just want rid of the orange stuff.

Then you can make an informed decision as to what you want to do.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Sounds lime the guides you were reading are for rooting (super user access). These are out of date now.

Rooting would give you the ability to remove the orange crap from the phone, but you could also achieve this by flashing an official HTC Operating system (a generic one, not branded).

You would still need a goldcard though.

I suggest you read through this rooting subforum to decide if you really need root (it can explain its advantages) or whether you just want rid of the orange stuff.

Then you can make an informed decision as to what you want to do.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, i don't think I want to root after all, just so I'm clear will the current gold-card guides work for the version of HBOOT that i have, the guide I read seemed to indicate that it wouldn't, it also said if the phone had the SLCD screen then it would not be advisable to use the same method. Or have i been reading the wrong guide?

Upvote 0
If you do want to go the rooting path, there's a nice guide here.

With the latest version of Unrevoked, HBOOT version/Screen type doesn't matter.

For ROMs, go here. There are a bunch to choose from, each with their own advantages and disadvantages...

If you want to keep Sense, there are a couple of options;

This ROM is very close to stock, with a couple of optional mods, such as apps2sd+.
If you want some more features, check out Leedroid.

If you want to get rid of Sense and use Vanilla Android, DeFroST is my personal favorite, but look around the threads here to see if there is anything else that would better suit your needs.

Upvote 0
Once you have root, download Titanium Backup from the market and backup with it(menu-batch-backup all applications/system data(or something along those lines)). This backs up all your apps/settings, so you can restore them in your new ROM.

Then turn your phone off. Turn your phone back on while holding down volume.

Scroll to "recovery" using the volume keys and click it using the power button.

Using the trackpad, scoll to "nandroid" and click it. Then click backup. This will backup the full system, so incase anything messes up, you'll be able to revert back to how it is now...

Back at the start of the recovery, click "wipe data/factory reset", "wipe cache partition" and under "advanced", "Wipe Dalvik Cache".

Then scroll to "apply zip from sdcard" and select the ROM from where you put it on your card.

Go back to the recovery menu and click "reboot system now". This first boot will take a good while, but once it's done, Leedroid will be installed :D

Now check if Titanium Backup is in your app drawer(some ROMs have it included). If it's not there, download it from the market, go to batch and restore everything.

And you are done!

Reactions: Jberry92
Upvote 0
Another problem unfortunately.

I now know how to root and flash a custom Rom thanks to jammy, but i am now having problems with getting Unrevoked to detect my Desire. When I enable USB debugging something comes up in task manager called ADB and that there is a problem with it. I did some research and tried to install drivers for it but none of the solutions seemed to work, if anyone knows how to solve this problem I would greatly appreciate it.

Upvote 0
It's a lot simpler on Linux, there are no silly driver issues :)

For Mac/Linux:

1. Make sure you downloaded Unrevoked3 for your OS.
  2. Plug your phone into your computer with USB.
  3. Drag down from the notification bar on your phone and select "Charge Only" and "Remember this"
  4. Make sure your phone has USB Debugging turned on by going to Menu>>Settings>>Applications>>Development and checking USB debugging.
  5. Run the Reflash application that you downloaded.
  6. Unrevoked will run its processes. Follow the few instructions it gives and thats it!

This Windows section of the guide includes 14 more steps :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones