Orange Internet Connection possible fix?

Last Updated:

1. Rotor

Rotor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've nearly 6 weeks of very shakey internet connection on my unbranded Desire on the Orange network. Most of the time I could not connect, infact I'd say 95% of the time tbh.

Calls to Orange didn't get anywhere, they sent me texts with fixes in and talked me patiently through set up changes but no improvement at all.

This morning while half asleep I updated some apps via the Market and one of them needed me to select a launcher. Stupidly I selected the GOTO lockscreen app as my launcher, ended up unable to select a different launcher and so was essentially locked out of my phone.

At the end of my tether I decided to do a hard re-set and take the phone back to factory settings. I did this and on re-boot not only did the 2.2 update I'd manually added a week ago stay put but my 3G connection has been working faultlessly all day long with no sign of dropping off.

Seems like the hard re-set has cleared off a problem. Anyone any ideas as to what it might have been?

Advertisement
  2. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

Did you do a factory reset or even a reboot when you installed the OTA,
    as you should always reboot after an OS update & sometimes you may even have to do a factory reset.

3. Rotor

Rotor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I did re-boot but didn't factory re-set after upating to 2.2

The flakey internet had been going on for weeks before I went to 2.2 though.

4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Maybe there was a rogue setting or app that was causing the issue somehow.

factory reset (although counter intuitive) doesn't actually reset it to how it came from the factory. It resets the OS to a pre-determined baseline. When you install 2.2, that baseline changes to include it.

Its the same with a custom rom, if you factory reset it, you get a baseline of that OS, not the OS you replaced.