Orange Maps on HTC Desire

Last Updated:

1. kaushal101

kaushal101 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have purchased HTC Desire (via mobiles.co.uk) with Orange's Panther plan. Orange Maps comes free on Panther 30

Advertisement
  2. kaushal101

I've attached the images of messages I receive from Orange site which I've mentioned in my original message.

Attached Files:

3. Dizzee26

Dizzee26 New Member

Hi im getting exactly the same, it says my Desire is not supported although it says clearly in the list that it is. I too have an unbranded one from carphone warehouse. i upgraded my tariff to a Panther one so I could have the sat nav. if anyone has any ideas please help. I have called Orange and was left rather frustrated as the bloke did not understand what I was saying.

4. Dizzee26

Dizzee26 New Member

just checked my tech info on Orange World and it also says I have a SPV M2000, i've never owned one, set my contract up with a Blackberry Bold.

5. tbl

tbl Well-Known Member

This was one reason I was glad I had an Orange branded handset.... there has to be one reason ;)

The Orange staff were only being trained on the Desire middle of this week, so it may explain things.

Sorry cant be of more help but this is the reason I didnt buy an unbranded desire on 3 as well, I was worried of issues like this

6. Salieri

Salieri Member

You might be out of luck even if you get them to recognise your mobile, as Orange Maps is supposedly embedded on the Desire so there is no way to download it from Orange, unless you find the apk somewhere in the wild.

7. abstractsimon2

abstractsimon2 Member

As it's just been announced that Google Maps now has turn by turn navigation, I'm not sure why you'd bother with Orange Maps now? I had a look at it a while back on my old phone (with a free trial) and it didn't seem brilliant.

8. marshalex

marshalex Well-Known Member

orange maps doesn't come out of your data allowance on certain plans where as google maps will

9. woody75

woody75 Member

Really? Just out of interest where did you hear/read that as im on a Panther plan and it'll give me a good reason for using Orange maps

10. kaushal101

Check this out. It clearly says that SATNAV is included in the Pather plans.

11. woody75

woody75 Member

Sorry but unless i've missed the boat here that makes no mention of free data usage at all, it just states 'Best of all, there are no upfront purchase costs' which sounds more like its referring to the fact that its free on Panther i.e no subscription charge or one off installation charge

IF using Orange Satnavs doesnt come out of your data allowance then it'll give me a great reason to use it over google maps but that link doesn't mention it at all

12. kaushal101

You're absolutely right. In fact the FAQ section for Orange Maps doesn't mention that either. I think we will either have to get a confirmation from Orange or from someone who has used Orange Maps and hasn't seen any data allowance consumption on his/her bill.

13. woody75

woody75 Member

I would be interested to know where marshalex got that info from as it would clearly make a difference as Orange data caps are so small.

The only benefit i can otherwise see of using Orange Satnav over google maps with navagation is that in the FAQ info on Orange maps it says:

'You connect to the internet to download map data when you first plan the route. The application will then disconnect. Orange Maps will reconnect periodically for traffic updates or for route updates if you deviate from the planned journey.'

Depending on how Google Maps with satnav downloads data it could prove better

14. dd1989

dd1989 Active Member

I flashed my Orange Desire so all the Orange crap was removed (the demos etc) - just use Google Maps which this week had Sat Nav added, turn by turn.

15. timbailey7

timbailey7 New Member

Hi

Was interested to read comments here, but saw the following this morning on Orange's T&C for Monthly Plans. Terms & conditions

However, i would be interested to know how much of your data allowance Google Navigation uses up? Can anyone advise please? Cheers.

7. Inclusive Orange Maps - available on compatible devices only. Unlimited use in the UK only. There may be a data charge of up to 4p each time the GPS fix is initially established. Orange may change the supplier for this service and/or provide another service of equivalent value. If you move away from a plan that entitles you to Orange Maps at no extra charge, the Orange Maps subscription will end on the day on which the change is requested rather than the day on which your tariff comes to an end. Other terms apply - see orange.co.uk/orangemaps

16. hank_marvin

hank_marvin Member

FYI......I got in touch with the Orange helpers on twitter, they said we should have an app in the android market place in a few weeks where we can download orange maps on non branded devices that can't get it from the orange website.

I have the desire HD from mobiles.co.uk and when you try on the orange site to get the maps, it says you already have it embedded in your phone (when you don't).

Hope this helps.

Follow @OrangeHelpers on twitter as they said they'll let us know when it's out.

17. Yorkshirepud

Yorkshirepud Active Member

Still don't see how Orange Maps can compete with Google Maps. Hell, Ordnance Survey don't compete...