Orb LiveTV Working wonderfully on The Hero

Last Updated:

1. AmericanHero

AmericanHero Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have a Windows 7 MediaCenter with a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 tuner. I was able to get the Hero streaming LiveTV using ORB. I am using a Analog cable connection and have a cable internet connection. 7mb download and 385kb upload. Even though the upload speed is minimal the video on the Hero is fantastic. I never expected this sharp of stream. I now have over 70 channels of television to choose from on my phone! Very cool for news events and sporting events. Just thought I would share the info. I love this phone!

Jack

Advertisement
  2. DaWeav

DaWeav Well-Known Member

WOW, thanks for this info! I downloaded the latest version of Orb and signed up.

I have a Hauppauge 1800 tuner card in my Windows Vista PC, and it allows me to select the live TV channel I want to watch. The Orb Live Free app from the market is not much better video quality than SprintTV, but going to the Orb website on the Hero had a little better video quality, but audio was not in sync. Did you make any 'tweak' settings to make it 'fantastic' as you described?

When I use another computer to connect to Orb, the stream plays GREAT. So, the Orb server on my Vista computer with the Hauppauge is streaming just fine. Anyway, I have another TV card option in another Windows XP computer which has an ATI AIW card so I'm going to see if the Hero video quality is any different streaming from it.

3. AmericanHero

Make sure and go to the Settings option in the upper right hand corner of the mycast.orb.com web page and set your default Streaming Formats to 3GP Format (.sdp). This is what made all the difference for me. So far this is very stable. Make sure and expand the stream to full screen on your hero by tapping the screen and then tapping the lower left hand expand option. Very cool!

4. DaWeav

DaWeav Well-Known Member

That setting made no difference. So, I then rebooted the Vista PC with those settings and it appeared to be a lot better. BUT, I noticed it was now doing directstream which I didn't see last night because the Hero bandwidth indication went from 250Kbps to 1500Kpbs. So, I turned the Hero WiFi off, and the speed changed to 250Kbps over EvDo, but even though the video looks fine the stream audio is still out of sync. I'll try that other PC with the AIW card this evening.

Still this is really great that you can ala Sling-box...

5. golpher

golpher Active Member

Very interesting,, gonna look into this! Thanks :)

edit: Is the tuner compatible with Direct Tv(satalite)?

its the only option for us out in the boonies =/

6. stinky

stinky Well-Known Member

Wow thats cool. Never heard of orb before.

Since I dont have a TV tuner card (yet) but I do have a ton of movies on my computer, would orb be better at streaming media over wifi G then directly streaming it to another PC?

Also, will this allow me to watch movies on my phone from my pc?

Edit: Went ahead and installed it. Works great with pics, havent tried music or Docs.

Movies play, but very choppy. The stream format did help the audio sync though.

7. DaWeav

DaWeav Well-Known Member

Well, I tried my other computer with the ATI AIW, but the audio is still out of sync with the video on my Sprint HTC Hero. And, the video wasn't as good a quality as the Vista/Hauppauge combination. Anyway, I'm thinking it's probably something with the Hero's browser player.

Still, being able to do this is just totally amazing.

8. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

just remember, it will always stream smoother on WiFi compared to 3G.. it's all about bandwidth at that point..

9. stinky

stinky Well-Known Member

I tried wifi on and off, didnt seem to make a difference either way. Even my low quality movies wont play smoothly at all, and one stopped after 3 or so minutes.

My Blue Ray rips wont even load, lol.

10. AmericanHero

I actually experienced some out of sync audio today at lunch. It was OK 2 hours later though. am going to test throughout the day this weekend and will let you know the results. Streaming is much quicker and fluid over 3G than using wireless for me. I have no idea why this would be the case? I have tested movies and they seem to work fine. My notebook works great as long as I use FireFox and mediaplayer clasic.