• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ordering N1 from UK

Ozor Mox

Mar 4, 2010
Hi everyone! I've been considering buying a Nexus One for a little while now, as I've been interested in replacing my current phone with Android. The trouble is, I live in the UK. I'm happy to buy the phone unlocked. In fact, it would probably be better as I'm in contract at the moment, it's just my current phone gives me rage! I have a few concerns though, maybe some of you guys who ordered from the UK have the answers...

1. I'm under the impression it will work fine on UK networks, is that right? (particularly Vodafone)
2. What the heck would I do for support if it broke and I needed it repaired? Currently my network would deal with that stuff, but I don't want to be left having to send it back to America...
3. Have they fixed this camera problem yet with the pink blobs? I want to make use of the camera. I did see a thread here of pictures taken with it and they actually look great.
4. Do I get a UK charger? Is it actually a UK charger or just an adapter for the US one?
5. Will it have US firmware on it instead of UK firmware, or is it all generic?
6. Will I be able to get UK localisation/regional settings?
7. Are there any additional charges to worry about, apart from the obvious import tax?

The short of all of this is basically, is ordering it from the US a "proper" way to do it, or should I really just wait for it to be available unlocked from the UK (if that ever happens)?

Thanks for your help.

Personally, I would wait for a month or so because it is going to be able for Vodafone. If you look on the website Nexus One Phone - Web meets phone., it says "Coming Spring 2010" for Vodafone. If you also wait until then, I feel as if you would have a better shot with support and such.

Also, to answer your question as far as software is concerned, the software comes "pre-loaded" with things such as time zones and metric units and such.

I hope this answers your questions...

Upvote 0
Hi everyone! I've been considering buying a Nexus One for a little while now, as I've been interested in replacing my current phone with Android. The trouble is, I live in the UK. I'm happy to buy the phone unlocked. In fact, it would probably be better as I'm in contract at the moment, it's just my current phone gives me rage! I have a few concerns though, maybe some of you guys who ordered from the UK have the answers...

1. I'm under the impression it will work fine on UK networks, is that right? (particularly Vodafone) Yes! I am using my N1 on Vodafone with a contract sim. It sets everything up automatically so you don't need to worry about settings.
2. What the heck would I do for support if it broke and I needed it repaired? Currently my network would deal with that stuff, but I don't want to be left having to send it back to America...HTC have UK support. It wouldn't matter if you bought the phone through Vodafone as they'd send it to HTC to be repaired anyway. Also, you don't normally get any perks from Vodafone such as a direct replacement unless you have had many faults with the phone.
3. Have they fixed this camera problem yet with the pink blobs? I want to make use of the camera. I did see a thread here of pictures taken with it and they actually look great.Yeah, this was a software bug that got patched with the latest firmware from what I remember. It'll be fine.
4. Do I get a UK charger? Is it actually a UK charger or just an adapter for the US one?You get a US charger in the box which doesn't cost you anything extra. The optional UK charger is an extra $19.99 on top of the phone and delivery cost. Most folk in the UK have not opted for the UK charger and simply bought an adaptor at less than

Upvote 0
1. I'm under the impression it will work fine on UK networks, is that right? (particularly Vodafone)
2. What the heck would I do for support if it broke and I needed it repaired? Currently my network would deal with that stuff, but I don't want to be left having to send it back to America...
3. Have they fixed this camera problem yet with the pink blobs? I want to make use of the camera. I did see a thread here of pictures taken with it and they actually look great.
4. Do I get a UK charger? Is it actually a UK charger or just an adapter for the US one?
7. Are there any additional charges to worry about, apart from the obvious import tax?

1. Yes, I am on Vodafone
2. Pretty sure the repair is done by HTC in the UK
3. Not had a problem with the camera
4. No, you have to pay extra for a UK charger
5. It is a world-phone, so all generic
6. Yes
7. Just Vat & check the bill when it comes from DHL that they did not charge duty (mobile phones are free from import duty)

When (and if - unlikely that the Apple litigation would result in an injunction but you never know!) it starts selling in the UK, the phone will still get ordered from Google.com as they will not be selling in-shop as Google want to protect their brand name. Would the price be more or less, who knows......

If you want one now, just get it!

Upvote 0
1. Yes works awesome on Voda:

1893677.png

2. HTC deal with it, they send a courier to collect you phone, whisk it off the the service centre in Milton Keynes, then return it to you.

3. Oddly, this has never actually affected me anyway.

4. You get one if you're dumb enough to pay $19.99 for it (don't, an 80p shaver plug is all you need).

5. Firmware is the same all over the planet.

6. Yes there is a UK option in the regional settings. The

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for the help everyone, it's looking good for me ordering one of these phones now that I know ordering from the US is ok. Just a couple of extra questions:

1. My current phone is insured through Vodafone as I don't want the worry of losing it. I take it I wouldn't be able to insure the N1 through Vodafone as I didn't buy it from them and they don't even sell it. What insurance options (if any) did you go for? Home contents I guess would be my fallback, but how would they replace it? Give me the cash?!

Yes there is a UK option in the regional settings. The

Upvote 0
OP - I ordered my N1 last weekend (Google dont work weekends so they didn't ship it until Monday) but I was then able to track it all the way across the pond.

It was due to arrive yesterday, but DHL - the UK side of things cocked it up (apparently the delivery van broke down - tough luck huh) regardless, they managed to get it to me today and it's an absolutely fabulous device.

I've owned Iphone 3GS, nokia N900, nokia 5800, N79, G1 - none of them come close, seriously, you need to order this thing (based on my first few hours usage)

Upvote 0
Dammn... I Ordered my N1 during weekend as well, but I still didn't get my phone (It was shipped at 8th of march).
I'll show you what does DHL shows me on this tracking thing.
zamowienie2.png

Is it normal?
I live in Northampton (not birmingham), nyway at this hour I was at home (with my whole family - i'll notice somebody knocking because i was eating in room next to the front door.
And what do they mean "recipent not at home" IF my home isn't in Birmingham AND they already sorted it in birmingham (I mean how do they cant get package to place where it's already in)??
Sory for this chaotic post bu I'm really angry :/ I could buy MOTO milestone and I won't have any problems.
Should I write to DHL now or what really should I do?

EDIT:
Already sent e-mail to DHL.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones