Organizing Contacts into GroupsSupport

Last Updated:

1. starpa

starpa Member This Topic's Starter

I am trying to find a way to organize my contacts.

As far as I can figure, Android allows you to group phone contacts but there is no option for grouping Google contacts, which most of my contacts are.

Does anyone know a way to group Google contacts on the phone.

I don't even care about making Groups on sync. I just want to group them now that they are on my phone.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. DroidRick

DroidRick Well-Known Member

Grouping contacts are currently my nemesis (see the other threads on this topic).

As far as grouping Google contacts are concerned, I have a low-tech approach to that.
    When I go Contacts/Menu/Display options I see:
    Phone
    Google
    Google
    Google

Cool! Three groups for my Google contacts!
    How did I do that? Well they are three separate Google accounts. :)

Probably won't help you, but if you ever do set up multiple Google e-mail accounts, you can organize your contacts better on your SGS.

3. starpa

But when a contact is not filed as "Phone" there is no way to group it.

I'm trying to group all my contacts that aren't filed with a Phone contact. I have dozens of Google contacts that contact phone numbers that I can't add to Groups.

How did Google let this happen?

4. DroidRick

I'm not following exactly what you are trying to do, but I think there may be a solution.

You can separate your Google contacts from your Phone contacts, if that is what you are trying to do.

Just go into Contacts/Menu/Display Options/ and un-select Phone.
    Then select your Google account.
    Bingo, you will have a group of your Google contacts that aren't filed with a Phone contact.

5. starpa

Half of my contacts that have phone numbers were created on the phone and filed under Phone contacts.

The other half were numbers that were saved in Google and show up as Google contacts.

By disabling the Google contacts, I lose those numbers.

My problem is the half of my contacts that are Google contacts. I cannot seem to use the Group functionality with them.

I want to Group ALL of my contacts into meaningful groups.

6. DroidRick

Gotya now.
    It's another flaw with the phone.
    It doesn't have Groups on the Google side, like Phone does.

7. starpa

Google! Look at me! Fix this! Please.

8. starpa

Google! Look at me! Fix this! Please.

9. justiyad

justiyad Well-Known Member

This issue should be fixed in Froyo, I upgraded to froyo couple of days ago, and now I see my Google groups, it is under Google contacts, but it sync now to the phone.

10. RockSolid

RockSolid New Member

Hi, Via the Contacts/Menu/Display Options, I
    1. exported my google contacts to sdcard
    2. import them into phone
    3. unselect google
    4. create my groups (I only have a few so although this is not ideal, it works for me)

I am enjoying personalizing my new Galaxy S and can't wait for it to grow up with Froyo and more/better accessories will be available soon--The lack of the cool factor makes the iPhone a better choice.

Also, it'd be nice if google groups are preserved when sync'ing from google.com to phone.

starpa likes this.
  11. starpa

That worked like a charm!

12. vikingisson

vikingisson Well-Known Member

Are we talking about the standard google contact groups or the bug in Samsung that doesn't show the groups properly? Here's what I do, 1st thing is to update the rom and get away from the horrible 2.1 they put on these phones. 2nd is to use a pc and do all the grouping and other tweaks from the gmail web interface. A few seconds later the phone is updated and all groupings are done and show up as they should.

The good thing about the bug (not a google bug) is that even though under 2.1 the groups show 0 contacts the groups you actually have are still there. Do the heavy lifting from the web interface.

13. goughy

goughy Well-Known Member

Froyo fixed problem. I only use google for all my contacts and with update to froyo all my google groups are there now. Stoked.

14. bigb82

bigb82 New Member

I dont see how people say froyo fixed this problem, I have had this problem since day one now running 2.2.1 still have the issue and I think the actual issue is misunderstood.

The google grouped contacts DO show up from the web to the phone but what is the point if you cannot edit or add to them, another words if I have a new contact I want to add to my business group I cannot do that n this drives me NUTS cause the evo does it fine its not an android or sprint issues its frikkin samsung

15. MeliCan2

MeliCan2 Member

I am having the EXACT same problem! There is a Group options with no way to do it! I ams starting to wish I bought another Blackberry!

16. MeliCan2

MeliCan2 Member

But it works....

All my contacts were in yahoo so I had to enter each into Gmail contacts. While in your contacts on the web you can create a group. I did that and it synced right to my phone. So now I finally have a GROUP! I don't understand why Samsung had to make this so freakin hard!

Hope this helps