Orientation of phone for best GPS reception?Tips

Last Updated:

1. KingFatty

KingFatty Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

Does anyone know what position/orientation of the phone will provide best GPS reception, ignoring other issues like trees/canyons/available satellites?

Maybe we can deduce the best orientation of the phone for receiving GPS signals, if we know the location of the GPS antenna in the phone and can look up the specs on the antenna to see what the preferred reception orientation will be.

E.g., will placing the phone face-down increase the satellite reception? Or vertical, face up, sideways, etc. etc.

I'm going to carry the phone in my hiking hat while hiking and using "My Tracks" to record my progress, so I am able to position the phone whatever way would be best.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Meltz014

Meltz014 Well-Known Member

Hmmm...that seems like it would be a pretty negligible factor for GPS reception. I've tried moving around a lot when i didn't get that great of GPS signal, and, well, nothing happened. However, sometimes my phone will see the satellites but won't connect, in which case i do a full reboot and everything works fine.

3. bvbull200

bvbull200 Banned

I put my phone standing straight up in the portrait orientation inside the pocket of my hydration pack when I go running. I use the GPS + CardioTrainer to track my course, speed, time, etc. and I have no issues.