original Google Android on HTC Hero?

Last Updated:

1. AAA727MMA

AAA727MMA Guest This Topic's Starter

Hi there,

I want to Flash my HTC Hero with the original Google Android 2.1, the unmodified version I mean -that Google brings out.

I don't like the new Sense UI. Is that possible?

Thanks a lot.

Advertisement
  2. nomnompie

nomnompie Well-Known Member

It is not possible, because HTC has to write firmware specific to the hardware they have in the phone. You can however switch from Sense UI to the standard Android Home UI using an app from the market called Home Switcher. There may be some custom unofficial 2.1 roms out there without sense UI, or again, use home switcher to switch it, but for now there is no official 2.1 update for the Hero. We are still waiting for that. But I assume when it comes out, you could still use Home Switcher to change from Sense UI to standard Home.

3. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

I didnt think it was possible to dislike SenseUI, but you've proved otherwise :D

If you want vanilla 2.1 right now, you'll probably have to root your phone, then install one of the custom 2.1 ROMs on it. Check out the stickies in the hero rooting forum. Note that it's not as simple as just installing a google release of android, the OS still has to be fitted onto the hero's hardware, so there are still bugs and performance issues with some (if not all) of the custom 2.1 ROMs out there.

Alternatively, it is possible to just disable SenseUI and revert to vanilla android 1.5, IIRC this can be done without rooting, but cant remember how off the top of my head. [edit: nomnompie got it] Once the official 2.1 release + SenseUI comes out, use the same method and you should have a vanilla 2.1 working 100%.

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

There are tones of custom 2.1 firmwares without Sense on the XDA forums if you're willing to use custom ROMs.

5. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

Sense is immense, you'll be back.

6. AAA727MMA

Thank you everybody, I am so glad with your replies. Now I know a bit more on the issue at hand. Thought it would be easy as 123 :)

Yes, I kinda don't like the SenseUI. But I agree, I am the minority :)

7. nomnompie

nomnompie Well-Known Member

There is supposed to be. Lots of speculation but nobody knows exactly when it's coming.

8. AAA727MMA

You are right, I have my fingers crossed :) Cu around.