Originally flashed RA, now want ClockWorkMod

Last Updated:

1. dnstommy

dnstommy Member This Topic's Starter

HTC Evo

I am new to rooting, and I rooted my phone with the ROM that has RA recovery one it (Amon_RA). After I installed RomManager and flashed ClockWorkMod with it, I can no longer get back to Recovery mode. It just sits at the HTC welcome (white) screen after I select recovery.

I am currently trying to flash RA back on with RomManager so I can backup my ROM, but is there an easy way to get ClockWorkMod on and working? Or do I have to reflash my ROM with a ROM that has ClockWorkModin it?

Thanks all

tommy

Advertisement
  2. dnstommy

dnstommy Member This Topic's Starter

It took flashing in RomManager 3 times, but I got it to finally load RA Manager and was able to make a backup. I'm not sure what it takes to get ClockWorkMod working, but I will save that for tomorrow.

Sounds like some say RA is better and more complete. Maybe I am better off where I am.

3. novarider

novarider Well-Known Member

I like ra better but some people like cw. If you want cw then just click the first option in rom manager. That flashes cm recover

4. SouthernEvo

SouthernEvo Well-Known Member

The main focus I see between the Amon Ra VS Clockwork seems to be AmonRa performs wipes better , dalvik , data , cache and battery stats . Granted I have used both and currently have Amon Ra installed I dont have a long term usage to really confirm or deny these points . I will say AmonRa has some features clockwork doesnt have or I overlooked them when I had Clockwork . I like the AmonRa feature of powering down the device option. Granted I like automation and things that just run and do the job for you . I do prefer powering off the device and starting the unit myself . Sounds crazy but then some do call me crazy ROFL .

5. AndroidJim

AndroidJim Well-Known Member

Ya Ra does wipe better. I do, however, prefer using clockwork and rom manager for its ease of use and being able to rename backups. Sometimes I do have to flash Ra to give it a good wipe before flashing another Rom or kernel. More or less I use Ra to back up clockwork i guess :p

6. Thanatos_evo

Thanatos_evo Member

I was on clockwork until I had issues with the bootloader. I needed an older bootloader for CM6 and I got a bad file which bricked my phone. I had to get a card reader and then remove the bad img. Amon RA lets you connect the phone to the PC in recovery mode and I've found that to be rather useful.

You can do everything ROM manager does, only takes some 10 mins extra finding the file, and flashing it manually. I'm guessing people read release notes/threads on xda forums before flashing ROMs anyway (where the download links are), so why bother with ROM manager?

7. uminchu

uminchu Well-Known Member

I know this sounds quirky, but I've found RM to be more consistent at successfully swapping out recovery images when I keep a copy of both in the root of my SD card at all times.