• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [OS] Build Box

If you ever get a chance, can you make a "mint" flavored build box... or maybe an option for a mini iso. i have trouble putting any linux distro on my laptop.
doesnt matter if its Knoppix or mint or ubuntu, STR8 BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH...

try Ubuntu Build Box 13.04-2, just change the session to cinnamon at the login screen

Upvote 0
If you ever get a chance, can you make a "mint" flavored build box... or maybe an option for a mini iso. i have trouble putting any linux distro on my laptop.
doesnt matter if its Knoppix or mint or ubuntu, STR8 BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH...

You could they the "fix-vesa" command at the console login. That usually fixes my netbook when I run any flavor of Linux that really wasn't designed for a 10.1" screen.

Upvote 0
My laptop is a Hp g-series 17 inch screen , i3 with intel hd family graphics 3000, (not good) I have never tried puppy linux but worth a shot, i put a mini iso of ubuntu, but every time i boot to it i have to do fail safe low graphics mode. Maybe i can use power iso and extract the 400 mb's of programs off this distro and put them on my setup. One thing i can say about the "build box" it won't build 4.2.2 .. I am running into the same issues that i had with the setup i made myself. I have tested it on jellybeer 10.1 and cyanogen 10.1 . Now 4.1.2 or 4.0.4, i believe it will be smooth sailing. good job SuperR!!!!

Upvote 0
One thing i can say about the "build box" it won't build 4.2.2 .. I am running into the same issues that i had with the setup i made myself.
getting errors doesn't mean you can't build something. 4.2.2 may require different packages, or maybe the device tree is off.
I have tested it on jellybeer 10.1 and cyanogen 10.1 . Now 4.1.2 or 4.0.4, i believe it will be smooth sailing. good job SuperR!!!!
Thanks ;)

Upvote 0
Oh forget about you superr, I am downloading the jellybean repo what happens? I look on here and you updated the buildbox KNOWING Linux Mint is better then Ubuntu and added cinnamon to tease me instead of giving me the real deal, curse this guy superr. No, but in all seriousness thanks for the update should I be expecting anymore or is this the last one. Also have you thought about doing a Linux Mint buildbox Ubuntu hasn't always been fond of my PC's hardware and I find Unity ( or whatever Ubuntu 13.10's UI is) to be very laggy.

Upvote 0
Oh forget about you superr, I am downloading the jellybean repo what happens? I look on here and you updated the buildbox KNOWING Linux Mint is better then Ubuntu and added cinnamon to tease me instead of giving me the real deal, curse this guy superr. No, but in all seriousness thanks for the update should I be expecting anymore or is this the last one. Also have you thought about doing a Linux Mint buildbox Ubuntu hasn't always been fond of my PC's hardware and I find Unity ( or whatever Ubuntu 13.10's UI is) to be very laggy.

lol. This will probably be the last for a while unless there is a problem that needs to be addressed. Unfortunately cinnamon is as close as you will get to mint from me...and that is only because it comes with nemo, which is imho better than nautilus 3.6. I have nothing against mint, I just prefer ubuntu...one of the lonely few. 13.04 is snappy compared to 12.10. Perhaps you will have better luck.

Upvote 0
I meant it in a good way SuperR, A new person on the scene that gets an itching to make a rom may not expect errors, so by me mentioning that it was only to prepare them for a bumpy ride when they get to the mm-vdec errors i'm having with 4.2.2.. Whereas , if they pop that cm 10 in there with PG's dev tree it will probably go through flawlessly, except maybe the mms, camera, and Bluetooth issue.

Upvote 0
I meant it in a good way SuperR, A new person on the scene that gets an itching to make a rom may not expect errors, so by me mentioning that it was only to prepare them for a bumpy ride when they get to the mm-vdec errors i'm having with 4.2.2.. Whereas is, if they pop that cm 10 in there with PG's dev tree it will probably go through flawlessly, except maybe the mms, camera, and Bluetooth issue.

remember i told you...setting up the build machine and completing a build is the easy part ;) If the device tree is good the build will be good. That doesn't even mean it will work on your phone lol. It just means you have gotten rid of all the conflicts, missing files, missing parameters, etc. Once you get through the build, then you get to figure out why things don't work, like it booting.

Upvote 0
remember i told you...setting up the build machine and completing a build is the easy part ;) If the device tree is good the build will be good. That doesn't even mean it will work on your phone lol. It just means you have gotten rid of all the conflicts, missing files, missing parameters, etc. Once you get through the build, then you get to figure out why things don't work, like it booting.

Ill just be that random guy at junkies disposal to compile changes when PG ain't around. lol

Upvote 0
Now if you can only convince my repo , that this is the easy part, we will be on 10.1 soon,lol

Most will know this but those of you Windows users that are new to Linux, you can use "wine" to install some windows program inside your build box, i put img burn in mine this morning.

michael@ubuntu:~$ gksudo nemo
michael@ubuntu:~$ gksudo nautilus
Initializing nautilus-gdu extension

SuperR are you sure ubuntu has nemo, cuz my regular version of ubuntu has nautilus

Why are you opening them with sudo?

And burning img's is a native feature on both Linux and windows. ;)

And I have a building cm-10.1 tree, it just doesn't boot fully iircc, no display iircc.

Upvote 0
My ignorance i guess PG, i thought it was the only way to open nautilus or nemo with root permissions. I tried accessing root folders just by using filesystem icon but it wouldn't let me cut and paste, so i used gksudo and it opened it in root fashion. as far as the img burn, i just like the program UI its easy to use.. I'm a Windows nut lol..

Can i get a link to the tree?

Upvote 0
Most will know this but those of you Windows users that are new to Linux, you can use "wine" to install some windows program inside your build box, i put img burn in mine this morning.
sure can, however I have only found 2 things that native Linux can't do at all/better than Windows...netflix and itunes. furiusisomount for example, allows you to mount and/or burn img files ;)

if you are trying to open root files, you are correct...gksu nautilus/nemo will do it. Not sure what root files you need to edit for a build though.

Upvote 0
sure can, however I have only found 2 things that native Linux can't do at all/better than Windows...netflix and itunes. furiusisomount for example, allows you to mount and/or burn img files ;)

if you are trying to open root files, you are correct...gksu nautilus/nemo will do it. Not sure what root files you need to edit for a build though.

Yea shouldn't be any need for root with anything related to building or editing android.

I've not installed anything to burn imgs, I just tell it to do it. Lol but yea if take a bit to shake those winblose bad habits lol

Upvote 0
I actually haven't been getting on windows, I may be "converted" . i like the repository setup on linux, I can get programs 100 times faster on linux than windows.
The root access on file system isnt about building, I just have control issues, I don't like my OS telling me I can't do it lol.

I understand the control issues, lol. They are why i switched to linux. Complete control. You have to be careful with gksu nautilus/nemo. You have full control and nothing will stop you from deleting important files.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones