OS question

Last Updated:

1. dennisb12

dennisb12 New Member This Topic's Starter

I'm looking to get a new phone and have decided to go with the Android OS. My question is if you buy a phone with OS2.1 can it be upgraded to OS2.2 or are you stuck with that OS you bought it with?

Advertisement
  2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

Can and will are two different things. Any phone running 2.1 should be able to handle 2.2 but most likely that update will come from the phone manufacturer which are notorious for a.) lagging behind, and b.) abandoning old phones. Even phones that were announced at release to be upgraded have since been abandoned, so unless you plan to flash a custom ROM, you should count on using the OS that comes with the phone at the time of purchase for a while.

dennisb12 likes this.
  3. copestag

copestag Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums :)

it just depends on the phone itself....... I think most phones now that are getting 2.2 are already shipping with it installed....... even if that phone was originally built for 2.1..... best thing to do is determine which phone youre considering and look to see if that model has 2.2 available for it.... if it doesnt have it available by now it most likely wont be

bare in mind 2.2 has been out for a few months now and theyre already discussing 2.3...... theres no phone list or even date that Im aware of for 2.3 yet but its just around the corner Im sure....... most phones that you can buy now will not be getting 2.3 so know that going in..... only the top end and newer phones will be getting it....... this is the way of life for Android.....

dont buy your phone hoping to upgrade in the future....... buy a phone that meets all your needs out of the box.... then if its gets upgraded later thats just bonus

of course I always recommend choosing a provider first then look at the phones they offer.......

dennisb12 likes this.
  4. JevyJav

JevyJav Well-Known Member

ummm there are certain phones such as the cliq and eris and cdma hero which don't necessarily have the needed specs to handle adobe flash (which comes with 2.2 or even live wallpapers for that matter(which come with 2.1). Its funny to me to see people complaining about not having the latest version of android when their hardware is 2 years old and most likely wont be able to fully support it. If I were the op i'd look for both a stock android device with the latest specs and latest os or any android device with the latest specs in the hopes it will still be able to fully utilize any and all future software updates. Also choice of carrier should come 1st if you're not buying unlocked. The word on the street is that android 2.3 will feature hardware accelaration capabilities a feature which can only be fully utilized by the 1 ghz category android phones. Yet there is no doubt there will be much complaining from those who currently own weaker hardware. The exception to this story are the android samsung galaxy s phones which currently possess the BEST chipset and hardware yet for the most part they are all stuck on 2.1 due to carrier and manufacturer red tape

dennisb12 likes this.