OS/System Log? Phone overheating?

Last Updated:

1. PhilosoRaptor

PhilosoRaptor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

After months without a random reboot, my phone did it twice consecutively today while I was trying to navigate while streaming music (Pandora) on the way from the airport this morning. It worked perfectly on the 1 hour drive there (also on the round trip going there the previous week), but while I was waiting for the guys I was picking up at the arrival gate, I was browsing the web and still streaming music and my phone just did a "soft" restart (where it doesn't show the Moto logo, just the boot animation). Slightly annoying.. at least it gets to the launcher pretty quick still.

Then, maybe 30 mins later on the trip back, it does it again while I'm driving back :mad:. This time when it got back to the home screen, it refused to pick up any sort of cell signal like it was in airplane mode, but all the other radios were on (BT and satellite). Toggling airplane mode had no affect on it. So I had to totally reboot my phone to get it to work again.

I think it may be heat related, when it came back up the first time, SetCPU read the CPU at 51

Advertisement
  2. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

yep 124 is pretty hot & many times I have seen reboots because of high temps. for sure it was a temp issue. those things are pretty cpu intensive.

If you look at some of the SetCPU topics you will see battery & cpu max temps - I have forgotten. but 124 is up there and by the time you saw 124, it had even cooled some I bet, so I bet it was higher when it forced a reboot.

SetCPU is great for this exact issue as you can set a profile by both battery and cpu temp to scale back speed if either hits a certain temp. Mine are set at 120. I also use the app TempMonitor to flash red temp readings in my status bar at 113 and above just to keep me aware.

to answer your ? I have never seen such an app & would not load it if it did exist as it would run all the time in the BG eating resources.

PhilosoRaptor likes this.
  3. PhilosoRaptor

PhilosoRaptor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Wow, I totally forgot SetCPU did the thermal profiles. I'll have to set that up for the next trip I do, thanks for the reminder!

Yeah, I know a service/app like that would put a decent load on the CPU/RAM too, but I would only run it while it's charging in the car (when it's most likely to reboot while I'm navigating and streaming) anyways, so that wouldn't be an issue for me.

Thanks!