OS update on GNU/Linux (without NPS/Odin)Support

Last Updated:

1. b4u

b4u New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to update the Galaxy without using NPS or Odin (which both don't have a GNU/Linux build).

So I've downloaded the official I5 update (thanks to sephail I think), and here it is after unzipping then extracting the tarball:

amss
    cache.img
    kernel
    recovery
    system

Is it feasable to repack this to an update.zip file and apply it via the recovery menu?
    If it is indeed safe to try this, could someone please point me to some documentation describing the "update.zip" file format so I could try digging into this a bit more (couldn't find much about it, except that the archive needs to be signed)?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. kam187

kam187 Well-Known Member

You can probably use fastboot to flash each partition. eg.

fastboot flash recovery recovery

See here:

http://andblogs.net/fastboot/

Kernel should be 'boot' and amss should be available in the new fastboot as a partition name. The rest are in the url above.

3. b4u

b4u New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi kam187,

It seems fastboot doesn't work well with large image files (haven't looked at the source code though) but here is what I get if I try to flash the I5 'system' image:

Code (Text):
    1. $ ./fastboot flash system ../workspace/system
    2. sending 'system' (88324 KB)... FAILED (remote: data too large)
    Same error if I use a 'system' generated from a nandroid backup (which I know is a valid one) :/

Also, anyone knows what is amss used for?
    It's the only file in the archive which is not an image file:

Code (Text):
    1. $ file amss
    2. amss: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1, statically linked, corrupted section header size
    but for some reason It exists only in the firmware update, I can't find it on the phone...

4. kam187

kam187 Well-Known Member

AMSS is the baseband firmware afaik. I'm not 100% but i think it gets run from the ramdisk to update the radio firmware. The update.zip mechanism doesnt flash the radio firmware, so they usually use a script in /system to do it on first boot.

If fastboot isnt working to flash the partitions then I guess you're only other option is to extract the system partition and make a update.zip

5. ressu

ressu Well-Known Member

6. pegasus21

pegasus21 Well-Known Member

Converting it to an ota update is simple the problem is how to flash the baseband. It's not on one of the partitions that fastboot can access.

7. ressu

ressu Well-Known Member

There is a command to flash the baseband, but it hasn't been proven to work. The same command is used on the various HTC models to flash the baseband.