• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help OS updated, battery life plummets & data usage soars

My Droid Pro automatically downloaded a software update three mornings ago ( now running 2.2.1). Since that time my battery life is about 1/3 of previous and the phone is constantly communicating via 3G. In the first ten days of the month I had used 150 MB of data and in the two days after the update I used an additional 155 MB without doing anything different.

According to task manager, Android system and Email Engine are each consuming 20% of the CPU constantly.

When I turn off Background Syncing, everything calms down, but then I miss some of the things I want to sync in the background.

Has anyone else experienced changes such as this after this update? Any ideas of what to do to stop the constant data usage that has no apparent cause?

It appears the problem is fixed. Since the main culprit was the Email Engine, I elected to clear the memory for it (said it was using 3.7 MB). Upon doing so, all email accounts lost their information, but the exchange accounts are now all refreshed, Background Sync is now on all the time, and everything seems to be back to normal. The Email Engine now has 168 KB in memory and uses no CPU.

Don't know if the update had anything to do with the problem or not, but it appears perhaps some corruption in the Email Engine memory caused the problem? Who knows?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones