OTA 3.26.651.6 and Unrevoked 3.21

Last Updated:

1. caster

caster New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys I hope this isn't a horrible question, but I've looked around and it seems that everything is about the current OTA. I have a friend whose running OTA version 3.26.651.6 will Unrevoked 3.21 still work for rooting it? When I rooted (a while ago now) I ran Unrevoked and then Unrevoked Forever, if I want to root his phone + nand unlock, do we still have to run Unrevoked Forever? I read in several threads that you don't need to run it anymore with the update of 3.21, but I'd just like to make sure!

Thanks! :)

Advertisement
  2. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

OTA 3.26.651.6 is the original Froyo release. This is what unrEVOked 3.21 was originally designed for. You don't need to run unrEVOked Forever with this because 3.21 is a full root (including nand unlock).

caster likes this.
  3. Hawaii Tom

Hawaii Tom Member

I got my new EVO with the 3.26.651.6 from the box. UnrEVOked 3.21 worked like a charm. I have now upgraded to a stock 3.29.651.5 custom ROM that uncaps the frame rate nicely. It's all pretty painless. Have no fear.

4. evocisco

evocisco New Member

My Evo is rooted with unrEVOked 3.21 and i have software 3.26.651.6. Can i do an OTA upgrade to 3.29.651.5 or do i need to unroot first? Please advise

5. tpbklake

tpbklake Well-Known Member

If you want to receive the official OTA upgrade, then you need to go into ClockworkMod recovery and flash the HTC standard recovery first. Then you can receive and apply the OTA upgrade.

Once the upgrade is complete, you can run unRevoked 3.21 to re-root.

Regards,

Tom

6. dragonbyte

dragonbyte New Member

So, knowing that 3.29.651.5 is rootable with unrevoked, I figured there was no reason to unroot before accepting the OTA...

I was wrong, it appears. Unrevoked isn't rooting me. I tried downloading the latest stock rom from Index of /shipped/Supersonic/ but it won't flash, either.

So right now, I have 3.29.651.5 that I can't figure out how to either root or revert. Any suggestions?

7. tpbklake

tpbklake Well-Known Member

When you boot into FASTBOOT mode by holding Volume Down and Power On, does the HBOOT screen show S-ON or S-OFF on the top line?

If it is S-OFF, then you should be able to flash ClockworkMod Recovery. Once you get ClockworkMod Recovery installed, you should be able to flash a SuperUser image and get your root back.

This link from XDA Developer has download links and information you will need to get root back (assuming you do have S-OFF):

[Guide] How to apply the new OTA 3.29.651.5 when you have clockwork and s-off - xda-developers

Regards,

Tom

8. dragonbyte

dragonbyte New Member

Thanks for the quick reply!

Unfortunately, mine says S-ON, though.

9. luis4gevo

luis4gevo Member

i followed these steps and it all looked great but just noticed I lost wifi. I get nothing when clicking on the widget and under settings it gives me an error. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

10. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

Do you have a custom recovery?

11. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

Try flashing a different ROM.

12. kyrumo

kyrumo Member

I keep getting "Validation Error: Backup CID is missing" I think it has something to do with hboot 097