OTA and root?

Last Updated:

1. Hanneman1011

Hanneman1011 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So has anybody that has got the OTA still have root? Or did you try to re-root your phone. want to update but don't want to lose root. If that is the case, Ill wait. Just wanted to know.

Advertisement
  2. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

just wait there seems to be something coming soon from unrevolved that may help us

3. Hanneman1011

cool... cant wait.

4. jayno20

jayno20 Well-Known Member

Whats coming?

5. Hanneman1011

There is OTA update going out to some of the Droid Incredibles. The update includes 720p video recording (WOOT WOOT) Verizon Mobile 3g hotspot. and something else that I forgot.

6. jayno20

jayno20 Well-Known Member

I meant what is coming from unrevoked?

7. mickym5

mickym5 Well-Known Member

I am currently rooted, but would like the contents of the upcoming OTA. I understand that I have to revert back to stock and unroot in order to install this update, since the new radio is what I am most excited about. Is this our only option to go about applying the update? I like having root access, but ultimately I would rather receive the OTAs that will be coming soon. Does anybody have any insight about whether or not there will be a way to install these updates in the form of a ROM without losing root, or should I just bite the bullet and unroot if this is what I ultimately want with my phone?

8. jratzo

jratzo Well-Known Member

I'd also like to know if we can install this update on a rooted phone. If I lose root that's fine, I'm sure I'd be able to root again.

9. gener1c

gener1c Well-Known Member

The leaked update they posted over xda can be rooted and you unroot/downgrade then push the ota update and then run unrevoked 3.1. you just need to mount the phone in the clockwork recovery to remove any of the verizon apps you do not want.

Attached Files:

10. jratzo

jratzo Well-Known Member

I don't want to have to unroot. Are we going to be able to just install the OTA whenever it comes?

11. mickym5

mickym5 Well-Known Member

I am currently rooted with stock 2.1. I installed the new unrevoked 3 and did a full NAND backup. Is it possible to revert back to stock by downgrading the recovery image in order to install the OTA leak, then when (I'm not holding my breath don't worry) the official OTA or froyo releases do a full NAND restore and flash my rooted stock 2.1 image back onto my phone to avoid not receiving the OTA?

12. gener1c

gener1c Well-Known Member

If they push the update you most likely will have to wait till some one modifies it to work with rooted phones. I had a rooted Eris and never received the 2.1 update. Until then, its just the unroot/ota/root proccess. But the whole process took me about an hour to het my phone back to where it was. Just make sure you back up your paid apps because some things are not showing up in the market yet.

13. xEagle on 3

xEagle on 3 Member

im in the same boat