OTA getting thru on SholesMod

Last Updated:

1. Gunner

Gunner Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm rooted and OC'd running SholesMod 2.0.6. This morning I woke up to the OTA update ready to install. Contrary to what I'd been told, SholesMod doesn't block OTA.

I'm planning to flash to a different ROM today. Will I be able to do this w/out the OTA superceding me? Do I need to wipe data/partition before I do anything?

Advertisement
  2. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

You should be able to flash providing you don't accept the OTA download. You can block the OTA by:

deleting otacerts.zip from /system/etc/security/

If you have root explorer, make sure it is set to RW (read/write) or you can use ADB commands.

3. Gunner

Thanks. I deleted it (otacerts.zip), but I'm still getting the OTA nag pop-up.

4. snake_fist_gung_fu

snake_fist_gung_fu Well-Known Member

Im really surprised that SM\DM didnt disable OTA. Then again those guys have shown they can be slack about alot of things.

5. shrink57

Bite the bullet and flash to whatever ROM you have been planning on flashing. Here is a link with a little more info on blocking updates:

Block OTA Updates | Root Your Droid

6. Gunner

I just went into the sd card and deleted the update.zip file. That seems to have taken care of it. Don't know why I didn't do that to begin with. Had a rough night last night...brain not firing today. I expect that my phone will re-download the update.zip, tho. I'm going to try to flash Fab's ROM now.

Edit: Yep...2 mins after I posted this, my phone re-downloaded the update, and the nag pop-up came back. Persistent bastard.

7. shrink57

Good move! That's the ROM I am using (the NexTheme ESE81 and using the Chevy 1ghz 5 slot kernel). Most stable and coolest running ROM I have used (and I have tried most of them). Do w full data wipe first.

8. FuhxTehAppelz

FuhxTehAppelz Well-Known Member

I found the nextheme rom ate my battery like no other....

9. shrink57

No problem at all with battery usage here. Could it be the kernel you were using?

10. Timaphillips

Timaphillips Well-Known Member

And if I don't want to flash a new ROM? How do I disable this pop up. Its getting pretty annoying.

Running DM1.0

11. mihalich

mihalich Well-Known Member

Dude, seriously, look like 5 posts above yours.

Joe

12. Timaphillips

This would be a good time for you to use said "chill button," duuuuude.

13. Timaphillips

Oh, and here's something that will actually make the notification go away, from the Droidmod forum. Pretty simple.

"If you installed DroidMod 1.0 via DMUpdater, just accept the VZW OTA 2.1 update. It will boot your Droid and go straight to SPRecovery. Select the Reboot (the 1st option) and you're good to go."

geekabilly likes this.
  14. Trel

Trel Well-Known Member

I was having this problem with mine.
    in /system/etc/security

most sites for disabling OTA say to rename the certs files, it wasn't working for me. Removing them from that directory, did work however.

15. mihalich

Indeed. Sorry, I was having a bad day.

Also, as another offering, I will add to the mix that I now have the same problem. So obviously the original instructions on what to do to block OTA updates were wrong.

Joe

16. Gunner

I ended up using Root Explorer to go into the /cache directory on the phone and delete the OTA update file. Deleting the update.zip from the sd card doesn't help because the original file is still sitting in memory in the phone. Immediately after I did that I put the phone into Airplane mode. After you do that, you can do what you need to do w/ the phone, and not worry about the OTA update getting installed if the phone powers off or reboots for some reason.

I ended up flashing Fab's ROM, and so far so good.

17. mihalich

Here's what NOT to do. Do not remove the certs from the security directory altogether, and put them in another directory, and then reboot. Doing this will cause a boot loop, with DM 1.0. Had to nandroid restore /system after trying this.

I was experimenting, before doing what was posted from droidmod.

Joe

18. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

I flashed back to Ultimate Droid 9.0.0 last night. The update is still there, but so far I have not seen the update available notification like I was seeing on DroidMod 1.1. On UD you have to go through settings>about phone>system updates. So at least it isn't in your face all the time.

I wonder if the DroidMod cure of tell it to accept and have SP recovery block it would work with clockwork recovery. I'm just going to ignore it for now and see what works/doesn't work as a decent cure.