• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help OTA Gingerbread update *Download link and instructions*

Hey , please help, a lot of people are not updating through this process, they think they can brick there device. Is there any chance of getting your device bricked?

Absolutely not! This is 100% factory over the air update, but downloadable to sd card in case you never recieved the update (like me)

This update came from the sd cards that T-Mobile was updating phones with.

This is not a custom rom, does not require root, and has as much risk of bricking your device as a sheep does going bald (none)

If you brick your device using this method, then you aren't using this method.

Upvote 0
For anyone wondering if this is the December 20th update:

It IS. T-Mobile released it to a limited number via OTA and on corporate SD cards back in October. That's when I uploaded it. T-Mobile started the second part of the rollout on December 20th.

THIS IS THE NEWEST UPDATE. THIS UPDATE IS AN OFFICIAL T-MOBILE RELEASE.

If you had good results, go ahead and click the "Thanks" button if you truely appreciate it!

Upvote 0
Absolutely not! This is 100% factory over the air update, but downloadable to sd card in case you never recieved the update (like me)

This update came from the sd cards that T-Mobile was updating phones with.

This is not a custom rom, does not require root, and has as much risk of bricking your device as a sheep does going bald (none)

If you brick your device using this method, then you aren't using this method.
thanks,, but were to download it?? i dont find a link on the buphas website.. and when i boot into bootloader then into recovery , i see a triangle with a exclamation sign. i dont see apply update.zip

Upvote 0
Razi, looks like you're rooted buddy!

Genome, the link is in the first paragraph on the site, it's the first link in yellow that says "in-store Gingerbread update"

No im not rooted , I entered Su command in terminal emulator, it denied. Btw if I install update over s-off ,will it make trouble.? And why it does not check automatically for pd5img.zip in bootloader unlike others do ? I think I have to use recovery instead of bootloader. Is this Ok? And what about this https://t-mobile.jive-mobile.com:443/#jive-document?content=/api/core/v1/documents/1818 it says they have paused the update, and you cannot download the update manually.

Upvote 0
Razi, looks like you're rooted buddy!

Genome, the link is in the first paragraph on the site, it's the first link in yellow that says "in-store Gingerbread update"

When I click that link, it takes me to a page that says Mytouch 4G update fail, then on that page, I click a link in the first paragraph that says "in store upgrade option", it takes me to the tmobile page that says it stopped the update.

Reactions: razi914
Upvote 0
No im not rooted , I entered Su command in terminal emulator, it denied. Btw if I install update over s-off ,will it make trouble.? And why it does not check automatically for pd5img.zip in bootloader unlike others do ? I think I have to use recovery instead of bootloader. Is this Ok? And what about this https://t-mobile.jive-mobile.com:443/#jive-document?content=/api/core/v1/documents/1818 it says they have paused the update, and you cannot download the update manually.

Upvote 0
When I click that link, it takes me to a page that says Mytouch 4G update fail, then on that page, I click a link in the first paragraph that says "in store upgrade option", it takes me to the tmobile page that says it stopped the update.

Hmm, site miderator must have taken it down. Try messaging some of the other members who successfully downloaded it!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The T-Mobile store bricked a few devices using the sd card, but I can't imagine that it was the update files fault. Either the employee didnt know what they were doing, or the sd card had some bad files.

Regardless, many phones were fine after using the file, and if you want the official gingerbread update, I highly reccommend it. But whatever you do is up to you.

It is the T-Mobile update, so yes, you would be locked into T-Mobile.

Reactions: razi914
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones