• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"OTA" Gingerbread update (My thoughts and things I noticed)

Tslide91

Android Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2010
Northeast u.s.
Android 2.3.4, Sense 2.1 Espresso

Software Number: 2.19.531.1

Kernel version:
2.6.35.10-g225de41
htc-kernel@and18-2 #1
Fri Jun 24 19:47:48 CST 2011

Now, let me start by saying I did not receive this over the air (OTA). I found a link to what was believed to be the file for the OTA update. I found it on XDA, apparently was ripped from the SD card update that the store uses.

The main differences, obviously now has Gingerbread, but there's also some new bloatware (who doesn't love bloatware...). This includes a new Downloads app, T-Mobile Highlight app, Quick Lookup app, and T-Mobile Mall.

On the homescreen side of things, now the network icons are changed (instead of G/E/H, now 1G(?)/2G/3G/4G). The notifications shade now has a Notification tab, and Quick Settings tab. The boarders around the Recent Apps icons in the notification shade are gone.

In the Settings, in About Phone there is now Software Updates, and Tell HTC added. Software Update checks for new software (but let's be honest, this is the last update the MyTouch 4G will likely receive), and Tell HTC sends reports when things aren't quite working right.

There's a new version of Swype, with an updated UI for the text prediction and dictionary. UI seems like it was inspired by Honeycomb (black and "blurple"). The space key is even smaller now (SOB.) In the messaging, it now shows the number you're texting to right above the text field. Much of the secondary keys are moved. I'm a bit upset by that.

All in all, the phone feels more responsive. It runs smoother than before (almost iPhone smooth).

Complaints? The keyboard is much slower. I was typing this up on my phone and had to continue on the computer because it wasn't keeping up with me. I wasn't typing very quickly either. And there's a little bug that's keeping my mobile network connected with wifi, even after I turn off the mobile network.

I'm pleased. The network bug isn't that bad, and Dragon Dictation (even though it's ugly and bare) still works quickly. I would recommend this update.

Hope this helps someone. Cheers.

I did the same GB upgrade, and the same way you did... my findings are similar. Though I will say that, now that I've had GB a few days, my keyboard is quite responsive (QWERTY). It was slow at first, as you report. I have no idea as to why, but now it's just fine. Took just an hour or two before it freed right up and acted normally.

Perhaps the biggest benefit to GB is the vastly increased power mgmt/battery life. The improvement is not small.

I will also say that the GB QWERTY keyboard is much better (for me, anyway), than froyo's was. I used to have BetterKeyboard 8 with the unlocker, for froyo. I saved all my apps to my SD card before the upgrade (should have made a backup file of those on my mac..) and lost pretty much all of them. Though I hated to lose BK8, I'm not so sure it's needed here.

Functionality, Spell check, etc, seems much MUCH improved here on GB. Its AI is much more "sensible". cool!

As I also noted in another thread, it used to be that you could assign a number of cities to monitor their weather under "Clock"... they moved that ability over to "Desk Clock". The only weather you can get in the "clock" app is your local weather. I don't care for that. IMHO they should have left it as it was.

Yes, the OS seems quite a bit quicker overall, too. I do need to see Market get its own update (mine here is still the old one) and "MyAccount" still needs to be brought up to 5.4 (mine is 5.0 right now)

They did add a few more pieces of bloatware as you said, which is even MORE reason to root this thing. Now if the Android gurus can come up with a way to directly root GB without reverting to Froyo, we will be in good standing, methinks. Though I didn't root before, I certainly will now. I want all the excess crap off of here.

Superuser/Admin Status, please!!

Reactions: dasudevil
Upvote 0
Oh, just to clarify, the only things in the power par I leave "on" is data refresh, and the display, though at "auto" is set on the middle increment on the power bar. (wifi/bluetooth/gps/refresh/display)

I do use my "WiFi hotspot" function quite a bit ( so much so that I use just about 5GB a month) as this is my primary connection for my laptop at the moment.

Another Gingerbread plus: Froyo 2.2.1 would inadvertently drop either the data or cell portions of the signal. I would have to reboot my phone at least once a day to regain that.

That doesn't seem to be necessary anymore. :p I haven't had either the data or cell side get dropped once, since the upgrade to Gingerbread. I think that's pretty significant.

Upvote 0
In regards to the bloatware that is new or added wasn't the tmobile stuff already there in the 2.2.1? I mnow the download one is part of the new gb update. I personally like it on the tab and all so that would be a nice plus for me.

I am diggi g through my phone to see all the bloatware and do not see the highlight one's(which I swore I have seen it before but'dont'now) , and what the hell is that quick look up app?

If any should be removed I would want that yahoo crap gone and the demo games they force you to keep. I don't own a yahoo phone its Google.

Wanting to update but hesitant.

Sorry for typos, typing on tab

Upvote 0
^I recommend the update.

The new bloatware really isn't that much. A couple of small apps that only take a few megs.

I used to have the problem where I'd have to reboot to keep the network connected. Gone.

Something I noticed today, the Facebook section of Gallery... if you're on a photo and you hit "back", it exits the app.

+1 there is nothing to fear here. A few more pieces of bloatware to ignore (and remove when we can directly root Gingerbread), but there are so many plusses that whatever minuses are here (and they are few and minor) are eclipsed by the benefits.

As far as the new Facebook GB app, if you want to return to the previous page, hit the little arrow button at the top left of the screen. I rather like the new FB app in contrast to the old bundled version. Ya just have to learn your way around it a bit. I think I like this one better than the FB app that you can download, too. YMMV.

Upvote 0
I'm loving my MT4G after the update. I was very frustrated and thinking of selling it and buy a g2x or sensation. But after the update, I'll keep my MT4G.

The biggest problem that I have before the update was the SD card problem.
- Updating apps that are installed on the SD card was a pain. Especially some apps that automatically install to the SD card.
- Stuck on installing on some apps.
- If I have to reboot the phone (some is due to the phone rebooting by itself), all the apps that are installed on the SD card would be shown as "apps is not installed", when this happen, I have to reboot, remove and reinstall the SD card, many many times (sometimes as many as 6-7 times)

All in all it is more stable. I haven't had a single reboot.

Upvote 0
+1 there is nothing to fear here. A few more pieces of bloatware to ignore (and remove when we can directly root Gingerbread), but there are so many plusses that whatever minuses are here (and they are few and minor) are eclipsed by the benefits.

As far as the new Facebook GB app, if you want to return to the previous page, hit the little arrow button at the top left of the screen. I rather like the new FB app in contrast to the old bundled version. Ya just have to learn your way around it a bit. I think I like this one better than the FB app that you can download, too. YMMV.

Im talking about the gallery app. The facebook tab in the gallery

Upvote 0
I think battery life is #1, OS speed is #2 as far as improvements.

I will say that my device dropped the WiFi hotspot connection twice yesterday as I was using it. Will see if it continues... this is different than the data & cell connection that Froyo was dropping everyday, sometimes twice a day.

Tslide9- To clarify ,I was talking about the FB app bundled with Gingerbread in the internet browser...

Upvote 0
I think battery life is #1, OS speed is #2 as far as improvements.

I will say that my device dropped the WiFi hotspot connection twice yesterday as I was using it. Will see if it continues... this is different than the data & cell connection that Froyo was dropping everyday, sometimes twice a day.

Tslide9- To clarify ,I was talking about the FB app bundled with Gingerbread in the internet browser...

my wifi drops all the time mostly while at work. Sometimes it grabs it and then sometimes it dont. Its like it does not know the phone is on the router. Also while at home but not as much. I learned to fix it by turning off the wifi and turning it back on

Upvote 0
I will say that it was getting so bad as far as battery life and general speed of things go, that I was seriously considering either going back to AT&T, or jailbreaking and unlocking my iPhone 4 to run on t-mobile. I work third shift, so I go in at 10pm. I usually take my phone off the charger around 8:00. For the last few weeks, I would only have about 10% battery left by midnight! Since doing the update, the os seems quite a bit faster and more responsive, and my battery seems to be doing much better as well. I lefty phone off the charger all night last night, and still have almost 75%! Huge improvement for me. I don't really notice the other things that came with the update.

Upvote 0
I will say that it was getting so bad as far as battery life and general speed of things go, that I was seriously considering either going back to AT&T, or jailbreaking and unlocking my iPhone 4 to run on t-mobile. I work third shift, so I go in at 10pm. I usually take my phone off the charger around 8:00. For the last few weeks, I would only have about 10% battery left by midnight! Since doing the update, the os seems quite a bit faster and more responsive, and my battery seems to be doing much better as well. I lefty phone off the charger all night last night, and still have almost 75%! Huge improvement for me. I don't really notice the other things that came with the update.

I will also say that most of the hobgoblins that came with my phone (OS related I'm sure) have mostly disappeared with the Gingerbread update. At least the major ones seem to have been corrected.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones