• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OTA ICS Issues on Bionic

I was able to download the update about two hours ago. However, now I can't access my text messages at all without it just having the spinning circle in the top area and will eventually freeze if I mess with it too much. This happens as well as I click on any contacts. I decided I was going to do a factory reset, but wanted to back up at least my text messages at first. However, anytime I try to back them up in multiple different programs, the programs just seem to sit there and eventually freeze. I really don't understand why. Does anyone have any suggestions? I really would prefer not to lose all of my text messages.

I'm not sure. It's possible that there is some sort of database corruption in your text message store on the phone which is causing the problem.

The app that I use is SMS Backup+, which automatically backs up all SMS and MMS messages as conversations to my GMail account (in an archived folder called "SMS", though you have full control over this.) Now, I never worry if I have to do a factory reset; all of my messages are stored in GMail whenever I need them.

I'd try using that app. You can then look at your GMail account to see at least how much is backed up.

(SMS Backup+ can also restore messages, though the Motorola Gingerbread build had a weird problem where all messages restored come back with the date and time of the restore, not the original send. So, at this point, I never bother restoring - they are all on GMail anyway. Also, SMS Backup+ can backup call logs, including making calendar entries for all of your calls, if that interests you as well.)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...1bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS56ZWdvZ2dsZXMuc21zc3luYyJd

Upvote 0
This worked for me...I was rooted on the .232 leak. I did the following to get back on the OTA.

1. Backed everything up using Titanium Backup Pro (Best Android app)
  2. Saved my frozen list of apps
  3. Downloaded the stock .905
  4. Used RSD Lite to flash .905
  5. Did a FDR and wiped internal storage
  6. Ran through initial setup of .905 and received the OTA .246 (Took about 20 minutes to install)
  7. Did another FDR
  8. Ran through setup on .246 (ICS)
  9. Re-rooted
  10. Re-installed Titanium Backup Pro
  11. Restored any missing apps
  12. Refroze bloatware
Everything is running smooth. No complaints or problems so far. Used my Motorola S10-HD headset for meetings this morning over bluetooth (no problems). So far no issues, all my apps seem to work as before.

A couple things to note.

• Once all the updating I did above was done my battery was down to 15%. I started at 100%. It took a little longer than usual to recharge, but my phone never gets less than 50% with 14 hours of use.
  • The *#*#4636#*#* method for switching off 4G does not hold after a reboot. It did under .232. Minor annoyance.
I posted this here instead of the rooted area because I was on a stock non-rooted .905 when I got the OTA to .246. I think it is important to emphasize the FDR. I did it before and after.

-Muzzy

Upvote 0
Ive done about 4 FDRs, downloaded the OTA numerous times, with and without the sdcard-ext which has all my recoveries, ROMS, etc - renamed then deleted the system files for the Superuser.apk .... and STILL once the .246 download completes, and the install starts, it fails each time. :banghead:

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

flash the 6.7.246 fxz it will put you on a clean ICS. http://androidforums.com/bionic-all-things-root/480176-how-flash-5-9-905-gb-6-7-246-ics-rsdlite.html

Upvote 0
I have now been updated to ICS for a little over 24 hrs now and am quite impressed from what I have seen so far. My phone is non-rooted and took the update just fine.
Here are the steps I followed to make the download/install go smoothly....

1- I assured my battery was fully charged before downloading
2- Downloaded the update over my home wifi (took about 3-5 mins)
3- I went ahead and powered down then pulled my SD card before starting the install
4- After pulling the SD card and rebooting I began installing the update (I would guess it took about 10-15 mins to complete)
5- Once complete I messed around with the new OS getting familiar with the new look and feel. I adjusted the settings on some apps to my liking.
6- Powered down and re-inserted the SD card, rebooted and card was recognized immediately. Then I continued getting familiar with ICS.

As far as I can tell all my apps/utils/folders/mail are opening and working properly. I did accidentally delete the little droid inbox icon when trying to move it around on the screen :eek:. Couldn't figure out how to undo that error...lol!!

I never had to do a FDR.

Prior to the update I was battling 4g data loss on a regular basis. Since the update there have been zero. That to me is worth the update alone. The clock speed is showing 1.2Ghz and I can definitely tell the speed and performance has improved. There was one minor issue with a frozen screen after I had completed a call that required me to power down and reboot but hasn't happened since.

Now I have 3 more phones to update...hopefully all goes just as smooth on them :cool:

Upvote 0
Three months from now you are going to say "I sure wish someone e had stressed the importance of the Factory Data Reset to me three months ago".

I am.

I installed the OTA. I was looking for problems. I did not find any. I did notice that the stupid issue I had in GB was present in ICS ... every ringtone was listed twice in the selection menu.

A
A
B
B
C
C

After running it for five days I did a FDR (with no precious "bugs" to address).

The ringtones now list only once.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Is anyone able to assign individual ringtones for contacts? I have tried several times, it says the ringtone is set but it just stays at the default ringtone.

I havent had that issue under ICS, but i did occasionally have that problem under GB, so I don't think it's OS version specific. i had to essentially rebuild the contact listing to get the ringtone l wanted to to be assigned. Fortunately it never happened often.

Upvote 0
I have had the Bionic since day one after upgrading from the original Droid. I rooted it using Pete's tool only so I could have wifi tethering access without removing any bloatware or messing with ROM. After the court decision ruling against VZ stating they could not prohibit the use of tethering apps, I unrooted my phone and began using Foxfi.
When the ICS OTA update hit the air I downloaded it (downloaded completely) only to have it stop installing after about a minute, reboot, and display "Software Update Failed". I did this 3 times with the same results and called VZ support. They suggested doing a factory reset, which I did. Same results after the reset and I noticed the Superuser app was still installed on the phone. I assumed it would have been removed during the unrooting, but it wasn't. Phone works fine, only its still on Android 2.3.4. I called VZ back and spoke to someone else who said the ICS update was having "known issues" and was told not to attempt updating the software as a patch would be applied soon. VZ told me they would call me back in a week ( on 10-31-12) to verify the patch works.

Using Root Checker my phone shows as "not rooted", however the SuperUser app still exists. Could this be causing the problem? Is there anything I can do on my end to get this update onboard or should I sit on my hands until VZ calls me back?

Thanks for any advice.

Upvote 0
The update went fine no issues with anything else except the sound level on all speakers of the headset were extremely low compared to before the update. I played a music file and the volume control was either on or off and the music sounded very compressed, almost up and down. And of course you can't downgrade back to gingerbread. My phone was still under warranty so I just exchanged it for a new phone from Verizon.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :p

Upvote 0
I have had the Bionic since day one after upgrading from the original Droid. I rooted it using Pete's tool only so I could have wifi tethering access without removing any bloatware or messing with ROM. After the court decision ruling against VZ stating they could not prohibit the use of tethering apps, I unrooted my phone and began using Foxfi.
When the ICS OTA update hit the air I downloaded it (downloaded completely) only to have it stop installing after about a minute, reboot, and display "Software Update Failed". I did this 3 times with the same results and called VZ support. They suggested doing a factory reset, which I did. Same results after the reset and I noticed the Superuser app was still installed on the phone. I assumed it would have been removed during the unrooting, but it wasn't. Phone works fine, only its still on Android 2.3.4. I called VZ back and spoke to someone else who said the ICS update was having "known issues" and was told not to attempt updating the software as a patch would be applied soon. VZ told me they would call me back in a week ( on 10-31-12) to verify the patch works.

Using Root Checker my phone shows as "not rooted", however the SuperUser app still exists. Could this be causing the problem? Is there anything I can do on my end to get this update onboard or should I sit on my hands until VZ calls me back?

Thanks for any advice.

if you ever applied forever root that would be the issue and you need to remove it.

Upvote 0
OTA downloaded last night. Started update this morning. Going on 5 hours of updating media database. Do I understand correctly that I can safely get beyond that step by pulling the micro SD card? Will I have to start all over again later?

Edit: OK, 8 hours now and it just stopped updating media database. Now it's doing nothing and the notfication LED in the upper right corner is white. The phone is unresponsive to power button pushes, long or short. Guess it's time to pull the battery.

OK... Pulling the USB cable from the laptop, which I was using to guarantee that it would stay powered, turns the light off. Pulling the battery and restarting does nothing Plugging the USB back in turns the white light back on, but it still won't power up.

The phone appears to be bricked. What now?

Upvote 0
Before the ICS upgrade I had a folder on my home screen that I kept all my games in. Now that folder is gone. Before CS I would just long hold the screen and create new folder. ICS doesnt seem to do that. I then went into my apps and made a group called games. I then clicked add to home. "Shortcut created" but its not on the home screen and I cant seem to find it anywhere. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
OTA downloaded last night. Started update this morning. Going on 5 hours of updating media database. Do I understand correctly that I can safely get beyond that step by pulling the micro SD card? Will I have to start all over again later?

Edit: OK, 8 hours now and it just stopped updating media database. Now it's doing nothing and the notfication LED in the upper right corner is white. The phone is unresponsive to power button pushes, long or short. Guess it's time to pull the battery.

OK... Pulling the USB cable from the laptop, which I was using to guarantee that it would stay powered, turns the light off. Pulling the battery and restarting does nothing Plugging the USB back in turns the white light back on, but it still won't power up.

The phone appears to be bricked. What now?

The white LED means that the battery does not have enough charge to run the phone. More than likely there are not enough amps from the USB port of your computer to charge the battery when its charge is low. You'll need to plug it into a wall charger (I'd recommend the stock charger) until the white LED turns off - but, even then, I would let it charge longer to get the battery enough of a charge to run for a while.

Upvote 0
OK, thanks. I hunted around to find a wall charger at work. It seems to be charging the phone.

On a parallel note, it would be nice if the Bionic users guide had information on the meaning of the LED colors. Green and red have been easy enough to figure out. I get purple all the time and don't know what that's all about. White, I've never seen before today.

After a while on the charger the phone started fine and reports that the update went fine. I guess Music and Gallery have been replaced with My Music and My Gallery, neither of which work, probably because the media database needs to be created.

Upvote 0
Before the ICS upgrade I had a folder on my home screen that I kept all my games in. Now that folder is gone. Before CS I would just long hold the screen and create new folder. ICS doesnt seem to do that. I then went into my apps and made a group called games. I then clicked add to home. "Shortcut created" but its not on the home screen and I cant seem to find it anywhere. Any ideas?
You can stack apps on the home screen, just drop them on top of each other and it will create a folder like you want.

Reactions: smfoley1
Upvote 0
I am having several issues since the update (this morning). I was on the standard Gingerbread O/S, and it automatically updated me. My phone was not rooted.

1) My POP e-mail account no longer gets mail automatically. I have checked all the settings, and the only way to get new mail is to manually start a sync.

2) PDA Net stopped working. When I plug the phone into the laptop, the device never shows up, and PDA Net does not think the phone is plugged in.

3) The good old high pitch squeal is back in the headphone jack (it used to do this, and then an update fixed it).

4) Various strange issues with Go Launcher. Although I do like this app, I could live without it if necessary.

Upvote 0
I am having several issues since the update (this morning). I was on the standard Gingerbread O/S, and it automatically updated me. My phone was not rooted.

1) My POP e-mail account no longer gets mail automatically. I have checked all the settings, and the only way to get new mail is to manually start a sync.

2) PDA Net stopped working. When I plug the phone into the laptop, the device never shows up, and PDA Net does not think the phone is plugged in.

3) The good old high pitch squeal is back in the headphone jack (it used to do this, and then an update fixed it).

4) Various strange issues with Go Launcher. Although I do like this app, I could live without it if necessary.

Delete the pop account and try again.

You need updated USB drivers on the pc would be my guess. Had a similar issue like that with RSD when going to ICS. Better yet just download FoxFi.

You are hearing things.

Thought we were gonna lose you.

Upvote 0
Been reading all the posts on post ICS update issues. Only had update a day, but no issues yet. But after reading a lot of the posts, it sounds like doing a factory data reset after the update is recommended. Just wanted to get a consensus before I do this.
I personally would even if you aren't having any issues just to get a "fresh" start. Just make sure you back up any data your apps have (say bank records from a bank app) to your SD card and pull your SD card out before during the FDR to avoid the media database issue which some have seen. Afterward, just let the Play Store reinstall your apps, import any data to the appropriate app and it should be nice and snappy.

Upvote 0
I do not like the dock software in ICS! Wow, what a difference! Is there a good alternative dock software anyone is aware of? I used to like the productivity screen with the calendar feature and side options... Unrooted, ota ICS...

I was in the same boat. Did not like the new look of the clock in the dock at all. Found Dock Clock by Gadget Juice in the market (google play).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Gadget+Juice

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones