• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OTA KitKat update

For anyone who is curious this is what the animated dessert case looks like. It interacts with screen touches but I don't know what it's supposed to do.

k0wmnA6.png

Upvote 0
And just to add one more piece of unimportant information, the Android versions, so far, are Cupcake, Donut, Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, and Kit Kat. The icons represent each of these confections.

Just for grins, what came before Cupcake? Presumably there was an A and B revision.

Also, I wonder what name will be given to L? I think no one knows what it will be yet.

Upvote 0
Probably the best battery life since the update.
I am really beginning to believe the theory that many of the issues myself and everyone else have with battery are related to things in the background like google play services. After the KK update, my battery was crappy for 3-4 days then began to improve. It never did quite get back to where it was before KK though. Late last week and through last weekend the battery was HORRIBLE. I had 12 hours on a full charged battery and was down to 40%. Then, on about Tuesday, something magic happened. See attached screenshots, here's where I am now.

I haven't added any new apps for weeks or deleted any. I have updated a couple though. Can't explain the sudden drop in battery life last week or the sudden increase now. All that time I have been on basically the same daily routine that I always am on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-31-10-03-46.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-01-31-10-03-46.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot_2014-01-31-10-03-55.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-01-31-10-03-55.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 52
Upvote 0
I still think that there are some underlying issues with 4.4. I saw a 4.4.2 changelog for the Motorola X that is rolling out in Canada and Brazil this week that says that one of the improvements is a fix for battery use issues for some users of KitKat 4.4.

I don't know what the timing of a possible 4.4.2 upgrade is for the Droid Ultra series, but our last two OTAs went out about 4-5 weeks after the first Moto X OTAs. The only difference this time is that these Moto X phones getting the update this week are going straight from 4.2.2 - they never had 4.4. So, I'll continue to hope that we start hearing about an upgrade about 4-6 weeks after the first US Moto X phones get the 4.4.2 update. (I've seen reports that the unlocked, or T-Mobile, version of the Moto X is soak testing an update right now.)

Since receiving the update to Google Play Services 4.1.32 my phone's battery is closer to what it was under Jellybean, but I'm still draining more battery than I used to - I'd say about 5% more in the 17 hours that my phone is off charge during the day.

Upvote 0
I am really beginning to believe the theory that many of the issues myself and everyone else have with battery are related to things in the background like google play services. After the KK update, my battery was crappy for 3-4 days then began to improve. It never did quite get back to where it was before KK though. Late last week and through last weekend the battery was HORRIBLE. I had 12 hours on a full charged battery and was down to 40%. Then, on about Tuesday, something magic happened. See attached screenshots, here's where I am now.

I haven't added any new apps for weeks or deleted any. I have updated a couple though. Can't explain the sudden drop in battery life last week or the sudden increase now. All that time I have been on basically the same daily routine that I always am on.

I've never seen the 2 day mark since I've had this phone. The 1 day 17 hours pretty much ties my best ever. I think my battery drains faster because I have such poor service. If you look at the photos you can see my signal is rarely green. I'm not sure why that is. I live in a large suburb on the east side of Cincinnati. With service like that you'd think I live in the mountains or country.

Upvote 0
I think my battery drains faster because I have such poor service. If you look at the photos you can see my signal is rarely green.
I agree that has a big impact. There are places at work where I drop to 1X and I can tell a difference on the days when I spend a lot of time in those areas. However, note on my graph above that the network is rarely green as well. My personal best, 3d 16h 0m 12s...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-10-25-00-16-03.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-10-25-00-16-03.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot_2013-10-25-00-16-08.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-10-25-00-16-08.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 56
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Well I decided to do an experiment. I deleted Nova (gasp!) and all of the icon packs I had downloaded. *Marked* improvement in battery life today already. Boy that sucks because I love Nova. I think I'll ride stock for awhile and see what happens with 4.4.2.

Funny! I did the same on Sunday - I switched back to stock late in the day, and ran it all day yesterday. Since switching back, I am using about 0.4% less battery per hour. At the same time, I've had the launcher crash on me twice - not while I was using it, but I happened to see it happening the second time. When the launcher crashes, it starts the boot animation again (without the sound, thankfully) and restarts all of the apps that start on boot. It's weird to see.

I'll probably go back to Nova Prime or maybe I'll try another launcher.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones