• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root OTA Leaked 2.2 -> nandroid 2.1

Dmtalon

May 14, 2010
West Harrison, IN
So, I was rooted with 2.1 w/o the OTA radio update. I followed the instructions to go to 2.2. (unroot, apply ota, reroot, install rom).

I'm pretty sure I can go and use a nandroid backup that I took just before I started the upgrade to 2.2 correct?

Having the updated Radio won't affect me going back to a nandroid before I upgraded the radio will it?

TIA

Ummmm let me see if I got this right, you did 2.2 before the ota, now went back to stock and did everything the proper way with getting the ota update first?

Anyway I wouldn't mess around with an old nandroid backup. Use Titanium Backup to restore 3rd party apps, the rest of the phone will take 15-30 minutes to setup and atleast you know things will work right instead of chancing a mistake. Plus you gte the feeling of a clean new phone again...

Upvote 0
Ummmm let me see if I got this right, you did 2.2 before the ota, now went back to stock and did everything the proper way with getting the ota update first?

Anyway I wouldn't mess around with an old nandroid backup. Use Titanium Backup to restore 3rd party apps, the rest of the phone will take 15-30 minutes to setup and atleast you know things will work right instead of chancing a mistake. Plus you gte the feeling of a clean new phone again...

Nope... Let me try again :)

I was at 2.1 and rooted w/o the radio update. I followed the proper steps to unroot my phone, update the radio, then move to 2.2. So I'm on 2.2 with the updated radio (followed the xda steps exactly).

There are a few bugs in 2.2 that are starting to making me want 2.1 back. I'm wondering if I can go back to my 2.1 NANDROID that did not have the radio ota update. I have a nandroid backup taken right before I unrooted to start the upgrade process.

Hope that makes sense...

Upvote 0
So you want to go from 2.2 to 2.1 that should be fine since the nandroid backup is just a rom and you are flashing a brand new one on.

Just do a wipe/factory reset and wipe of your cache first.

On a side note what bugs are you getting? There is a patch that fixes some minor things in the roms forums maybe you should check that out first. I just don't see how anyone could go back to something that will give you 500-550 quadrant scores from the 1300 you can get with 2.2 in quadrant.

Upvote 0
Nope... Let me try again :)

I was at 2.1 and rooted w/o the radio update. I followed the proper steps to unroot my phone, update the radio, then move to 2.2. So I'm on 2.2 with the updated radio (followed the xda steps exactly).

There are a few bugs in 2.2 that are starting to making me want 2.1 back. I'm wondering if I can go back to my 2.1 NANDROID that did not have the radio ota update. I have a nandroid backup taken right before I unrooted to start the upgrade process.

Hope that makes sense...

TBH, I would have taken a Nandroid when I got the OTA back on and rooted again, before the 2.2 jump. That's what I did. I did that in case 2.2 was so buggy and messy that I could easily go back to 2.1... which I have. =P

If you look there should be a guy who has some videos up around here, his name is Diego, I believe. He has several videos that walk you through downgrading, rooting, and all sorts of other stuff. I'm sure one of his videos would be helpful to you. I'd link, but I'm just too lazy right now. =X

Upvote 0
On a side note what bugs are you getting? There is a patch that fixes some minor things in the roms forums maybe you should check that out first. I just don't see how anyone could go back from 500-550 to 1300+ in quadrant.

The most irritating one for *me* probably won't affect 99.9% of users. My primary google account is a google apps acount, not a "stock" gmail account. But to be able to purchase apps and setup google voice correctly, you need to sign into the phone FIRST with a standard gmail account.

In Froyo, when you do that it acts like a single sign on. Gtalk and any other apps are automatically "attached" to that first gmail account you signed in with.

The specific *bug* that is affecting me is that the second google account you add (in my case it's a username@mydomain.com google apps account) does not receive activesync (i.e. pushed) email. This SUCKS

My setup was username@gmail.com setup, but no boxes checked (as it was in 2.1) then username@gapps-domain.com with calendar, gmail, contacts all checked for sync. On the web, username@gmail.com forwarded to username@gapps-domain.com account.

Google Apps has sort of been a red headed step child for a while, but owning an android phone really makes it apparent. Not being able to use google voice and google checkout being the two big ones when it comes to android phones.

Sorry for the rambling.

Upvote 0
On a side note what bugs are you getting? There is a patch that fixes some minor things in the roms forums maybe you should check that out first. I just don't see how anyone could go back to something that will give you 500-550 quadrant scores from the 1300 you can get with 2.2 in quadrant.

I run across a couple of bugs, nothing that I can't live with. I have had the occasional failure to connect to the data network upon boot. Wireless tether will not work in AP mode. The phone seems to be running a little hotter (maybe because I've been using it MUCH more heavily). Swype keeps dying where I can only tap type (biggest annoyance to me). Overall, I'm loving my Froyo'd Dinc.

Upvote 0
I run across a couple of bugs, nothing that I can't live with. I have had the occasional failure to connect to the data network upon boot. Wireless tether will not work in AP mode. The phone seems to be running a little hotter (maybe because I've been using it MUCH more heavily). Swype keeps dying where I can only tap type (biggest annoyance to me). Overall, I'm loving my Froyo'd Dinc.

All that and you still love it? You sir have much more patience than I!

I cannot tolerate any of that, if I wanted a $200 phone I cannot use, I would get an iPhone and at least be cool too! :D

So I went back to full stock using the a fore mentioned video walk through. Worked great, even took my radio back to stock. My phone was getting too hot and did not feel like determining if it was leaked 2.2 or radio update. Had to root to get my backup restored though... :(

Upvote 0
Well, last night I took my 2.2 install back to 2.1 following the downgrade sticky for HBOOT. Everything went perfect and I'm back to 1.X radio and 2.1. I reapplied root via UnrEVOked and ran a Nandroid restore that I took right before I started my 2.2 upgrade.

Gmail is back 100% and pushing my google apps email (second google account on phone)
Swype is working flawlessly again
Google Talk is signed in as my Google apps account vs. being locked into my gmail account.
My purchased market apps are now mine again (not sure what happened here, but even signed in with the same gmail account I couldn't install purchased updates)

I have my under volted hydra Kernel back.

I hope the official 2.2 gets some kinks worked out, and give some of the apps (swype/system panel) time to be updated to be compatible w/2.2

I also hope that sometime very Soon, Google apps accounts will become full gmail accounts which I've read is happening sometime soon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones