• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

(OTA) Multitouch now official on N1 in Browser, Gallery, Maps

i don't quite understand this... i've run into this problem maybe once about 3 years ago when i got my first iphone. you might just need to learn how to hold your phone, or perhaps lose some weight??

I weigh in at a very reasonable 8.5 stone, and I get the annoying palm thing when reaching across to tap an app whilst holding the phone portrait. It's not an uncommon problem, and responding like that was a bit of a jerk move really. Why should I have to change the way I hold the phone that's comfortable for me when enabling multitouch on the homescreen would remove the problem altogether.

Upvote 0
I weigh in at a very reasonable 8.5 stone, and I get the annoying palm thing when reaching across to tap an app whilst holding the phone portrait. It's not an uncommon problem, and responding like that was a bit of a jerk move really. Why should I have to change the way I hold the phone that's comfortable for me when enabling multitouch on the homescreen would remove the problem altogether.

I agree.

I tried his advice and dropped my weight down to about 100 lbs and I still have the multitouch palm issue.

Upvote 0

How big are the stones? :D Sorry it just seems funny to here 8.5 stones as a weight LOL

Back to topic:

Anyways I did the update, 3g seems to be better but still have the problem where if you hold the phone from the bottom you lose 2 bars of signal :/ Seems to be a hardware issue there.

Upvote 0
I have a rooted nexus one. I tried manually installing the update but it didn't work. When using the trackball to select update.zip the phone told me
"verifying update package....
e: no signature (208 files)
e: verification failed

installation aborted"

How do I update my phone if its rooted?

thats prob cause you unzipped it first just download from my link and place on the sd card do not open the file first

Upvote 0
How big are the stones? :D Sorry it just seems funny to here 8.5 stones as a weight LOL

Should have said "stone" anyway! Translates to ~120lbs, I think. Good old imperial system.

Back to topic:

Anyways I did the update, 3g seems to be better but still have the problem where if you hold the phone from the bottom you lose 2 bars of signal :/ Seems to be a hardware issue there.

That is really frustrating, especially as I live in a poor signal area for all the networks round here. On the maps the providers, um, provide, I should be getting HSDPA, in reality there are too many coats of lead-based paint on the walls ;)

Upvote 0
Should have said "stone" anyway! Translates to ~120lbs, I think. Good old imperial system.

Back to topic:

That is really frustrating, especially as I live in a poor signal area for all the networks round here. On the maps the providers, um, provide, I should be getting HSDPA, in reality there are too many coats of lead-based paint on the walls ;)

Yea it is frustrating but this is inside my house only, never had a problem outside before the update and everythings still fine there. So maybe I have some lead paint on the walls too LOL It doesn't bother me so much as I use wifi inside the house anyways, just don't like the switching from 2g-3g because it drains the battery. Will have to leave it off charge tonight and see how it does.

Upvote 0
Yea it is frustrating but this is inside my house only, never had a problem outside before the update and everythings still fine there. So maybe I have some lead paint on the walls too LOL It doesn't bother me so much as I use wifi inside the house anyways, just don't like the switching from 2g-3g because it drains the battery. Will have to leave it off charge tonight and see how it does.

Cell standby sucks the life out of my battery too. I have mine switched to '2G only' under the network settings somewhere when I'm connected to wifi, has really helped. But still a pain.

Upvote 0
are us nexus one owners in the uk likely to get this update OTA?

I think so... I think the phone checks in with a google server via any data connection you have. That said, why wait? Took all of five minutes for me to follow the manual update guide this morning. Easy peasy, N1 squeezy.

Re: single handed operation, I too have big problems that I didn't have with my iPhone. As I reach across the screen with my thumb a small amount of skin at the base of my thumb touches the screen and causes it to not register my clicks. Very annoying. I thought it was because I have big hands, interesting to read that a light-weight (8.5st) girl has the same problem :thinking: Let's hope google improve their touch screen click recognition algorithms.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones