OTA update (1.47.651.1) has been conquered (root!)

Last Updated:

1. freeza

freeza Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Looks like an 'anonymous' dev has cracked the OTA update and with the help of SteelH of XDA, it is being distributed. To those who mistakenly updated via OTA only to lose root, or to those who happen to get a new phone with the 1.47 update applied, this is definitely for you.

{ROOT GUIDE} 1.47.651.1 ROOT method - xda-developers

Advertisement
  2. phyl0x

phyl0x Active Member

those xda kids are impressive, most impressive

NewNoob likes this.
  3. malibu23

malibu23 Well-Known Member

Still buggy.

4. gx1400

gx1400 Well-Known Member

Just got it working. Flashed PC36IMG.zip onto my OTA'd Evo. It took some trial and error with timing.

Hint: Read into the 15th page or so when someone have everything quoted in the same post. The is an error with /data/flash_image vs /data/local/flash_image and it doesn't work if you're using dolphin HD or flash 10.1. I ended up doing two factory restores in the process.

My hat goes off to these guys. Now I just have to wait to get off work tomorrow to get a new ROM and update my radios.

5. nRRe

nRRe Well-Known Member

just did it, flashing Damage Control now.

woot <3 xda

man....DC allows me to use the stock android launcher or Sense..now i don't know which to use =(

6. heavychevy

heavychevy Well-Known Member

I want to root but it seems very high maintenance and a lot of work/hard resets/reboots etc. only to still have bugs. The thread on xda is very intimidating.

7. gx1400

gx1400 Well-Known Member

Wait a few days and I'm sure there will be an idiot-proof guide out.

It's pretty simple once someone has the stuff hammered out. My only problems:
    1) Not knowing how to use adb, it was pretty quick to learn
    2) error with the /data/local directory (missing '/local' in tutorial)
    3) Multiple factory wipes to figure out how to do the part1 and part2 stuff
    4) was trying on dolphin hd, doesn't work
    5) Never used the hboot or recovery stuff, so I was kind of scared when it got to those steps

It finally worked out, got it all downgraded and running last night around 2 am. I ran unrevoked with ZERO problems on the downgraded stock rom and wifi tethering worked like a charm!

8. nRRe

nRRe Well-Known Member

yeah post #145 has a very thorough review and the 'fix' with the /data/local part.

than on post 200ish? jiqqaman posted a 20min video of him doing it and another quick step by step guide.

those xda guys are crazy. as long as they are around i think i'll always have an HTC phone.

9. mpike78

mpike78 Well-Known Member

ive just rooted mine too using todays 7-6-10 method. ive read that damage control requires you to fix your 4g after you flash it. is this true? if so is there a easier way than the whole mac address verifying etc...?

10. htc.EVOlution

htc.EVOlution Well-Known Member

So basically this is only for people that had OTA applied?

Seems to me the old Toast Root Method is still the best. But from what I understand, we cannot apply Toast Part 1 & 2 if you have applied the OTA update?

11. christophermx4

christophermx4 Member

It seems like the video from jiqqaman has no sound...is it just me?

12. gx1400

gx1400 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the OTA breaks the root exploit used in Toast's part 1. The new OTA root method basically replaces part 1, downgrades you to an older ROM, and allows you to start up Toast's part 2 (minus a step or two?)

13. habitual.line.stepper

habitual.line.stepper Well-Known Member

This method worked great, was able to do it in about an hour yesterday, any issues I had were my own fault since this was my first time doing anything like this

14. gx1400

gx1400 Well-Known Member

I'll second this notion. All my mistakes were inexperience and easily corrected with a factory restore.

15. nizmoz

nizmoz Well-Known Member

I am a bit nervous doing this even though I have jailbreaked my iphones before. Some say they just restored back to factory if they screwed up. How do you do that if you screwed up and your phone won't respond? Just curious?

16. gx1400

gx1400 Well-Known Member

All of my errors stemmed from not typing stuff correctly in adb or not having the right timing when trying to issue commands (like 'adb shell /data/local/part2').

As long as your PC36IMG.zip isn't corrupt, there shouldn't be any bricking situation. By factory restore, I meant the reset that is in settings that deletes all of your settings, apps, etc.

Once you're downgraded using this technique, you should have NAND unlocked and be able to flash anything you want. Once I was done, I just used Unrevoked then installed ROM Manager and flashed Fresh 0.5.3.

17. rtmeikle

rtmeikle Well-Known Member

The most notable fix for me in the OTA update was that my HDMI out now works for all content (lower quality YouTube and videos either recorded by phone or loaded on phone), while before it only worked for 720P content.

With the need to "downgrade" prior to rooting, would I lose that feature of the update?