• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root OTA update (1.47.651.1) has been conquered (root!)

Just got it working. Flashed PC36IMG.zip onto my OTA'd Evo. It took some trial and error with timing.

Hint: Read into the 15th page or so when someone have everything quoted in the same post. The is an error with /data/flash_image vs /data/local/flash_image and it doesn't work if you're using dolphin HD or flash 10.1. I ended up doing two factory restores in the process.

My hat goes off to these guys. Now I just have to wait to get off work tomorrow to get a new ROM and update my radios.

Upvote 0
Wait a few days and I'm sure there will be an idiot-proof guide out.

It's pretty simple once someone has the stuff hammered out. My only problems:
1) Not knowing how to use adb, it was pretty quick to learn
2) error with the /data/local directory (missing '/local' in tutorial)
3) Multiple factory wipes to figure out how to do the part1 and part2 stuff
4) was trying on dolphin hd, doesn't work
5) Never used the hboot or recovery stuff, so I was kind of scared when it got to those steps

It finally worked out, got it all downgraded and running last night around 2 am. I ran unrevoked with ZERO problems on the downgraded stock rom and wifi tethering worked like a charm!

Upvote 0
ive just rooted mine too using todays 7-6-10 method. ive read that damage control requires you to fix your 4g after you flash it. is this true? if so is there a easier way than the whole mac address verifying etc...?

just did it, flashing Damage Control now.

woot <3 xda

man....DC allows me to use the stock android launcher or Sense..now i don't know which to use =(

Upvote 0
So basically this is only for people that had OTA applied?

Seems to me the old Toast Root Method is still the best. But from what I understand, we cannot apply Toast Part 1 & 2 if you have applied the OTA update?

Yeah, the OTA breaks the root exploit used in Toast's part 1. The new OTA root method basically replaces part 1, downgrades you to an older ROM, and allows you to start up Toast's part 2 (minus a step or two?)

Upvote 0
All of my errors stemmed from not typing stuff correctly in adb or not having the right timing when trying to issue commands (like 'adb shell /data/local/part2').

As long as your PC36IMG.zip isn't corrupt, there shouldn't be any bricking situation. By factory restore, I meant the reset that is in settings that deletes all of your settings, apps, etc.

Once you're downgraded using this technique, you should have NAND unlocked and be able to flash anything you want. Once I was done, I just used Unrevoked then installed ROM Manager and flashed Fresh 0.5.3.

Upvote 0
The most notable fix for me in the OTA update was that my HDMI out now works for all content (lower quality YouTube and videos either recorded by phone or loaded on phone), while before it only worked for 720P content.

With the need to "downgrade" prior to rooting, would I lose that feature of the update?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones