OTA Update aborted on my rooted Froyo Droid

Last Updated:

1. Bandersnoot

Bandersnoot Member This Topic's Starter

My phone is rooted and running 2.2 via download. Froyo is great but I have been waiting for the Flash update like everyone else.

Got the notice this morning on my phone that an OTA update was ready to install and asked if I wanted to proceed. Unit was fully charged and connected via WiFi.

Clicked "proceed" and the phone rebooted. On startup, it went to the boot screen that I used in the root process, and the bottom line said something like "upgrade aborted." Clicked reboot to get the phone usable and see what's what.

Now Settings>About Phone says Android 2.2, Build number FRG01B by Pete. The only "update.zip" file on the SD card is one from the root process. "System updates" says "Your system is currently up to date."

Looks like nothing happened.

Has rooting my phone precluded the possibility of an OTA update?

(If I had known that rooting my phone would prevent OTA updates I would not have done it.)

How can I get the OTA update to run? Where are the update files loaded? What do I do now?

Advertisement
  2. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

If you have a custom recovery installed (SPRecovery or CWMod recovery), then that is why the installation is failing.

3. Bandersnoot

Nice. I have SPRecovery. $(*&%)_(*&#)(&)(@*&)@(*&#)&!!!

So OTA's are hosed? WTF!

So what do I do now? Manual updates from now on?

4. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

wow.. your the only person that is mad about this

as a rooted person this is EXACTLY what you want to happen. If the update would have worked you would have lost your root and everything root related you did! and yes, nothing did happen but you keeping root!

having SPRecovery in place and a backup rom saved your ass from losing root. I am at FRG01B and see no benefit to FRG22D

you should consider yourself lucky as this is 99% of the rooted peoples desired result.

best do some research around here as that is a good thing and find out what you get by going to the FRG22D... not much. You can get Flash in the market - which you can get right now anyway - and some vague bug and security fixes.

5. Bandersnoot

The following are just my humble opinion. Your comments ARE APPRECIATED.

A warning like "SPRecovery will prevent over the air updates from running" would have been nice.

I don't think there is a real advantage to having a setup which precludes getting manufacturer's bug fixes, that's all.

And I DO want Flash, and as of right now it doesn't work. What's in the Market is just a pointer to an Adobe page that tells you that you don't have Flash. What I have seen looking around here is that Flash is only supported without the OTA if you install some ADK, which for all I know is some kind of abortion code with hooks for hacking that I don't need.

I'm not a hacker. I want a stable phone, with as few bugs as possible. If FRG22D fixes stuff, I want it. Right now I have a custom kernel, overclocking, WiFi tether and Titanium backup, none of which have proved particularly useful. They were fun to play with but I can live without them.

I didn't find the process of rooting to be all that big a deal, once I got the pieces like RSD installed. Ideally, I'd like to get FRG22D installed, and if I want root back, a process to do that for FRG22D that's reasonably straightforward.

6. Lock-N-Load

"A warning like "SPRecovery will prevent over the air updates from running" would have been nice."

that is talked about in 50 places on this site. it is known and it is purposeful. just because you did not known didnt mean the info was not available. The OTA update does not know your rooted, so it cannot flash a message. This is a good thing.

"I don't think there is a real advantage to having a setup which precludes getting manufacturer's bug fixes, that's all."

yeah well.. sometimes "bug fixes" lead to other issues.. and as I said in the other thread, no much to woopie about in this update PLUS it does not preclude you from getting the update. You got the alert, no? you came here and found out the difference between what you have and could have. you now have a CHOICE to go either direction versus getting FORCED to take what they give you.

"And I DO want Flash, and as of right now it doesn't work. What's in the Market is just a pointer to an Adobe page that tells you that you don't have Flash. What I have seen looking around here is that Flash is only supported without the OTA if you install some ADK, which for all I know is some kind of abortion code with hooks for hacking that I don't need."

huh??? I have 10.1 and it works fine.. never read this "hacking code" theory 1 time nor about some ADK. I downloaded 10.1 Flash and pow.. Flash. done.

"I'm not a hacker. I want a stable phone, with as few bugs as possible. If FRG22D fixes stuff, I want it. Right now I have a custom kernel, overclocking, WiFi tether and Titanium backup, none of which have proved particularly useful. They were fun to play with but I can live without the"

you rooted! you did hack :) FRG22D does not necesarliy "fix stuff" - but your buying into the propaganda. As a matter of fact, that FRG22D you want so bad in fact closes down a method of rooting used by apps like Easy Root. But they did not tell you that did that did they? others found it out they wealzed that in and didnt list it. so, don't always believe the "fixes" are useful and needed to you. to me, I do not need BT or Exchange "fixes".

sound like you are a candidate to unroot by going and doing the manual push of the FRG22D you can find around here.

7. Bandersnoot

Understand your point.

I just looked at the Smoked Glass ROM by dew912 posted HERE.

I'm going to give it a try...

EDITED TO ADD: Yeah, I guess I am a hacker after all...

8. Lock-N-Load

yeah, since I do not care about FRG22D and themes, look your doing themes even :) I did not know there was a theme based on FRG22D.. so that is a 3rd option for FRG22D

so funny, after all your "I am not a hacker" talk your looking at a themed version of FRG22D rather than the stock basic rooted version or manual version.. ha ha ha ;)

9. Bandersnoot

Okay, gotta end this on a happy note. Loaded Smoked Glass 7.01, no data wipe. Everything is working 100% flawlessly as far as I can tell, apps and settings all in-place. Very nice looking UI, nice icons, color Settings menu, quick, install was painless. Everything that I did in root seems to be exactly as before.

Go Smoked Glass! :D

Thanks very much!

10. Lock-N-Load

now think... what if you would have lost that root!!!! see, saving that root and NOT having that OTA update just update you ended up being a good thing :)

11. Bandersnoot

Guess the Lord was looking out for me.

Somehow, this Smoked Glass seems to have kicked my phone into high gear. I just messing around with Chrome to Phone, had to disconnect and reconnect from the phone side, now it works fine, went to a few bookmarks and HOKEY SMOKES, THIS THING IS FASTER THAN GOOSE GREASE ON ICE! Much faster than before.

I am guessing that it's the in-line optimization stuff they talked about. Whatever, it absolutely SMOKES.

12. Lock-N-Load

no.. Lock-N-Load was looking out for you :)

j/k

anyway.. I might actually peek at that theme. not a theme guy per se.. but the initial reviews - though not much postings in his thread - are pretty good

13. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Well-Known Member

Just to add, I think you meant "APK". It has nothing to do with what you think it is. Apk is the file format in which android applications are in. If you ever used root explorer and went into the system file, you'll notice every app on your phone is in apk format. So if your where to install the adobe flash apk, it'll be the same as installing it from the market.

14. Somniferum

Somniferum Well-Known Member

I know, right? This ROM runs great for me too. And you can overclock up to 1.1Ghz with it, vs. 800Mhz on stock Froyo. Just be sure to set up some profiles in SetCPU to keep from overheating.

15. Lock-N-Load

with a kernal, you can overclock any rooted ROM.. not just this ROM. I am at 1.2 ghz and I do not use this ROM or any themed ROM.

16. Somniferum

Somniferum Well-Known Member

Yes I'm aware of that -- was replying to Bandersnoot who is coming from stock rooted Froyo.