• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OTA update beginning 7/16

tjwilbur

Lurker
May 16, 2010
During a very, very frustrating day with VZW both in store and on the phone, I was told by a sales mgr at our local store that there is a OTA update beginning 7/16 that will supposedly "help" (but not fix) the audio/silent call bug and add faster speed dial and better sync with gmail and FB. She also stated that this will take about a week to reach all of the customers, and that since HTC is providing the update then they can't verifyt that it will improve the situation at all, but they have thousands of unhappy customers right now. I confirmed all of this with a tier 3 tech later this afternoon.

I am on eris #4 (third refurb) and after 3 factory resets on this device, I still have a phone that is pretty much useless because of the audio issues and lots of bugs. The rep told me they would be happy to swap me to another device at a 1 year contract rate, even though we have been with them with four lines for over 10 years and the eris was just purchased in March. I hope this software update does the trick or I'm paying to get out of the contracts and going elsewhere.

Reactions: paleodust
During a very, very frustrating day with VZW both in store and on the phone, I was told by a sales mgr at our local store that there is a OTA update beginning 7/16 that will supposedly "help" (but not fix) the audio/silent call bug and add faster speed dial and better sync with gmail and FB. She also stated that this will take about a week to reach all of the customers, and that since HTC is providing the update then they can't verifyt that it will improve the situation at all, but they have thousands of unhappy customers right now. I confirmed all of this with a tier 3 tech later this afternoon.

I am on eris #4 (third refurb) and after 3 factory resets on this device, I still have a phone that is pretty much useless because of the audio issues and lots of bugs. The rep told me they would be happy to swap me to another device at a 1 year contract rate, even though we have been with them with four lines for over 10 years and the eris was just purchased in March. I hope this software update does the trick or I'm paying to get out of the contracts and going elsewhere.
Im on eris #1 but I have had to factory reset more times then I can remember at least 15 times in the last month It will lose 3g and will not come back but will show -70dbi and say evdo rev a but will not connect at all. Thats the only problem I have with the phone.

Upvote 0

Interesting... I was on the phone with a verizon CSR today who contacted HTC (so she said) who told her there were no software updates in the near future... As I'm on my 3rd eris thanks to blown ringer speaker and the numerous bugs... they are shipping me a refurb moto droid... I'm not real crazy about the Moto but if it actually works I'll gladly deal with it..

Upvote 0
from reading the update change list it appears IMO that this is only a cosmetic update.... "improves" speed dialing, etc etc......... I see no place on that list where it fixes ANY of the problems that people have been having with their phones.......

personally "knock on wood" my eris has never had any issues that I didnt cause myself lol....... I had to do 1 hard reset after I screwed it up trying to root it once......other than that its behaved perfectly......

having said that... Im VERY reluctant to d/l any bs cosmetic update theyre trying to push out for the sake of shutting people up

I will wait until someone captures it and analyzes it before I pass to harsh a judgement........ but again IMO this seems like something theyre doing to appease the people with problems without actually fixing anything....... this way they can say they tried

I find it very hard to believe theyre releasing a patch to fix all the problems that as recently as today Ive read people saying they still claim theyve never heard any reports of

Upvote 0
from reading the update change list it appears IMO that this is only a cosmetic update.... "improves" speed dialing, etc etc......... I see no place on that list where it fixes ANY of the problems that people have been having with their phones.......

personally "knock on wood" my eris has never had any issues that I didnt cause myself lol....... I had to do 1 hard reset after I screwed it up trying to root it once......other than that its behaved perfectly......

having said that... Im VERY reluctant to d/l any bs cosmetic update theyre trying to push out for the sake of shutting people up

I will wait until someone captures it and analyzes it before I pass to harsh a judgement........ but again IMO this seems like something theyre doing to appease the people with problems without actually fixing anything....... this way they can say they tried

I find it very hard to believe theyre releasing a patch to fix all the problems that as recently as today Ive read people saying they still claim theyve never heard any reports of
According to the update, it says that it fixes the HTC weather app/widget. There is another thread on here, that points out that using the widget can actually create lag on the phone overall. I wouldn't say its a pointless update.

There might be a few issues that may have been fixed that were never listed on the update as well. A way of quietly covering up known major issues, like the silent bug. This may possibly fix the silent bug, but they might not want to admit that the OS had a severe "fault" like that.

Upvote 0
According to the update, it says that it fixes the HTC weather app/widget. There is another thread on here, that points out that using the widget can actually create lag on the phone overall. I wouldn't say its a pointless update.

There might be a few issues that may have been fixed that were never listed on the update as well. A way of quietly covering up known major issues, like the silent bug. This may possibly fix the silent bug, but they might not want to admit that the OS had a severe "fault" like that.
covering their asses

Upvote 0
HTC's Update Change Log will not say something like "Fix for Silent call Issue". That would be suicide for them.

Instead they put "Improved Audio"

I'm sure they mean that they are addressing what we think they are addressing, but they will never admit it was even an issue to begin with. Catch my drift?

Guess we will have to wait for this update to roll out and see if, in fact, the "Improved audio" fixes most peoples problems with making and receiving so called "Silent Calls" ;)

Upvote 0
I am now on Eris #4, tech guy at the store and mgr at the store have no idea about the impending update, neither does a supervisor w/verizon call center. Call center wants to send me a refurb droid, but I have to pay for the battery, charger and back of phone? I went to store, the mgr adv since this is my 4th, she will give me any phone on a 2yr price even though I just got this on upgrade in January. She told me to come back on Thurs for Droid X, we will see if it works!

Upvote 0
Well it is official now. Alltel-AT&T

But back on topic, I hope I can get the update while I am roaming. I have my wifi turned on which supposedly should get me my update.
Can I get an iPhone?
Eventually.

As soon as AT&T has deployed its new 3G network in South Dakota, customers will have access to many devices in the industry, including the iPhone.
This is a very pressing issue with cell phone customers in South Dakota. Apparently.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones