OTA update beginning 7/16General

Last Updated:

1. tjwilbur

tjwilbur Member This Topic's Starter

During a very, very frustrating day with VZW both in store and on the phone, I was told by a sales mgr at our local store that there is a OTA update beginning 7/16 that will supposedly "help" (but not fix) the audio/silent call bug and add faster speed dial and better sync with gmail and FB. She also stated that this will take about a week to reach all of the customers, and that since HTC is providing the update then they can't verifyt that it will improve the situation at all, but they have thousands of unhappy customers right now. I confirmed all of this with a tier 3 tech later this afternoon.

I am on eris #4 (third refurb) and after 3 factory resets on this device, I still have a phone that is pretty much useless because of the audio issues and lots of bugs. The rep told me they would be happy to swap me to another device at a 1 year contract rate, even though we have been with them with four lines for over 10 years and the eris was just purchased in March. I hope this software update does the trick or I'm paying to get out of the contracts and going elsewhere.

Advertisement
    paleodust likes this.
  2. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Well-Known Member

3. bcltoys

bcltoys Well-Known Member

Im on eris #1 but I have had to factory reset more times then I can remember at least 15 times in the last month It will lose 3g and will not come back but will show -70dbi and say evdo rev a but will not connect at all. Thats the only problem I have with the phone.

4. Divebomber3

Divebomber3 Active Member

Interesting... I was on the phone with a verizon CSR today who contacted HTC (so she said) who told her there were no software updates in the near future... As I'm on my 3rd eris thanks to blown ringer speaker and the numerous bugs... they are shipping me a refurb moto droid... I'm not real crazy about the Moto but if it actually works I'll gladly deal with it..

5. Bad Cornflakes

Bad Cornflakes Active Member

The Eris is the biggest piece of shit! I hate mine worse than I hate AT&T and Bank of America put together!

6. SirEagle

SirEagle Well-Known Member

This is good to hear. Now we have to see if it really happens.

7. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

You must really hate the Eris if you hate it more than AT&T. I have no experience with AT&T since their coverage stops at the Minnesota border 10 miles away. ;)

8. v941726

v941726 Well-Known Member

i like B of A. ive been through lots of crappy banks, but B of A has been the best so far

9. copestag

copestag Well-Known Member

from reading the update change list it appears IMO that this is only a cosmetic update.... "improves" speed dialing, etc etc......... I see no place on that list where it fixes ANY of the problems that people have been having with their phones.......

personally "knock on wood" my eris has never had any issues that I didnt cause myself lol....... I had to do 1 hard reset after I screwed it up trying to root it once......other than that its behaved perfectly......

having said that... Im VERY reluctant to d/l any bs cosmetic update theyre trying to push out for the sake of shutting people up

I will wait until someone captures it and analyzes it before I pass to harsh a judgement........ but again IMO this seems like something theyre doing to appease the people with problems without actually fixing anything....... this way they can say they tried

I find it very hard to believe theyre releasing a patch to fix all the problems that as recently as today Ive read people saying they still claim theyve never heard any reports of

10. Demache

According to the update, it says that it fixes the HTC weather app/widget. There is another thread on here, that points out that using the widget can actually create lag on the phone overall. I wouldn't say its a pointless update.

There might be a few issues that may have been fixed that were never listed on the update as well. A way of quietly covering up known major issues, like the silent bug. This may possibly fix the silent bug, but they might not want to admit that the OS had a severe "fault" like that.

11. SyDTRaKKeD

SyDTRaKKeD Well-Known Member

covering their asses

12. willdogs

willdogs Well-Known Member

HTC's Update Change Log will not say something like "Fix for Silent call Issue". That would be suicide for them.

Instead they put "Improved Audio"

I'm sure they mean that they are addressing what we think they are addressing, but they will never admit it was even an issue to begin with. Catch my drift?

Guess we will have to wait for this update to roll out and see if, in fact, the "Improved audio" fixes most peoples problems with making and receiving so called "Silent Calls" ;)

13. willdogs

willdogs Well-Known Member

On a side note, any threads stating that the eris is getting an update would have been on page 5 or 6 by now just a few months ago. Boy how mes have changed.

I'm guessing either most people are rooted or have moved onto other devices by now.

14. Medic005

Medic005 Well-Known Member

Well, let's see what the update improves... Right now I have a SmartPhone, minus the Phone...

15. Kid Twist

Kid Twist Well-Known Member

You have an iPhone 4?

16. mdeblaz

mdeblaz Well-Known Member

Yea, seriously, at least Consumer Reports didn't go as far as to NOT RECOMMEND the Droid Eris and/or use DUCT TAPE to fix the issues it has...

17. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

Lies! Lies!

18. lg4420

lg4420 Well-Known Member

I am now on Eris #4, tech guy at the store and mgr at the store have no idea about the impending update, neither does a supervisor w/verizon call center. Call center wants to send me a refurb droid, but I have to pay for the battery, charger and back of phone? I went to store, the mgr adv since this is my 4th, she will give me any phone on a 2yr price even though I just got this on upgrade in January. She told me to come back on Thurs for Droid X, we will see if it works!

19. walkinonthesun

walkinonthesun Active Member

I'm from the western side of the state and supposedly we are getting AT&T in a year (replacing Alltel). Though I can't say I will be jumping ships anytime soon.

20. Demache

That's what I've heard too, since AT&T and GSM coverage period, is next to nonexistent in South Dakota.

21. walkinonthesun

walkinonthesun Active Member

Well it is official now. Alltel-AT&T

But back on topic, I hope I can get the update while I am roaming. I have my wifi turned on which supposedly should get me my update.

22. SuperiorDroid

SuperiorDroid Member

I just picked up my 3rd eris yesterday, tech support said no one knows why this is happening and that there is no fix for the silent bug issue, yet.

23. Demache

This is a very pressing issue with cell phone customers in South Dakota. Apparently.

24. v941726

v941726 Well-Known Member

are there actually people in south dakota? i thought it was just wild animals, dust, and tornadoes. i'll be damned! :D

25. Demache

You forgot corn. There is lots of corn.