• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OTA Update Changes Thread

Ok, here is the fix. I too was having the same problem after the update. Did some messing around and this is how to connect your Captivate to your computer again....

1. Turn USB debugging mode ON (settings/applications/development/usb debugging.)

Thats it! You will see the usb setting again in the drop-down bar. Simply select usb connected from the drop down bar, after that select "Mount" and you're all set. I don't know why the usb settings were disabled with the update? Hope this info helps....

Upvote 0
Mine was scrolling as well . . . I thought I better pull this YouTube widget down into the trash can so I'm not using data every second of the day, which it may or may not be doing? . . .

Edit I found the youtube widget but still this question

One thing I liked about the YouTube widget was being able to directly open up the video camera on the phone. . .is there a way to get a video camera shortcut on any of my home screens? . . .
thanks

Upvote 0
Ok, here is the fix. I too was having the same problem after the update. Did some messing around and this is how to connect your Captivate to your computer again....

1. Turn USB debugging mode ON (settings/applications/development/usb debugging.)

Thats it! You will see the usb setting again in the drop-down bar. Simply select usb connected from the drop down bar, after that select "Mount" and you're all set. I don't know why the usb settings were disabled with the update? Hope this info helps....

bro, i'm talking about internet tethering, not mass storage device.

Upvote 0
it does suck that things you use disappeared but there are easy fixes for what you are missing if you are interested.

first even though the service menus (i.e. lbstest mode) are no longer accessible via the keypad in the latest firmware, they are still there and you can create a custom shortcut link on one of your homepages to any of the service menu options (including lbstest mode) if you use adw.launcher or launcher pro.

second you can get pdanet or easy tether app from the market to use to tether your phone if you want. I know att blocks the tethering apps in the market, but getting by att censorship of the market is easy when you have a wifi connection available. just put your phone into flight mode and with flight mode still on turn on your wifi connection - then you will have market access without att censoring you and you can get pdanet or easy tether strait from the market (no rooting or sideloading
needed).

again I know it sucks that an update would remove tools you use - but I just wanted to let you know you could get those functions back if they were important to you.

Upvote 0
Updated today. I have to say, the most noticeable improvement is in the dialer app. Calls start and end *MUCH* faster... However, I noticed my battery life has taken a turn for the worse. Currently, I'm sitting at 30% and Juiceplotter is showing 2:40 hours left. I wonder if I need to recalibrate the battery.

Anyways, I'll update tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Is there a way around the new tethering restriction guys? I bought the captivate for a few reasons...to avoid the iphone sheep herd....to gain the ability for more and easier control.....and because I could tether without the att plan. It would be great if someone who is more informed about android OS would let us know what the least invasive way to get around this is?? For me, this is the deal breaker and Im at about week 3. I would rather stay with the cappy but this is a must for me with my job and yes....IM CHEAP so sue me.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Has anyone noticed the following after the update?

YouTube has a new stock home page widget which shows most popular videos ( that seems to mean that it is constantly checking now)

The screen brightness is darker. I always have the screen set as low as it can go (I use quick settings) but now it appears darker then before.

Anyone notice any other minor side effects?
I've noticed the two you point out, as well as an overall increase in responsiveness. Compared to the lag fix, after the update and without lag fix it certainly seems to be faster. I'm very pleased with the outcome.

Upvote 0
Has anyone else noticed other new features in their phone since the OTA update?

I updated this morning and noticed my YouTube widget now suggests videos to me. If you click it, it opens the video right away. Previously, it would just show the logo and open YT or be able to search when click. It's nice, but I can't figure out how to change it. I would like to just open the app instead of the recommended video loading right away. (without logging out of my account)

I also noticed the High Quality mode is now a button next to the time bar on the video (finally!) Previously you had to bring up the sub menu and select it.

I haven't seen anyone else mention this, so I thought I'd check.

Upvote 0
I'm curious about what specific changes were made in the last update, so hoping this could be a place to start. If you spot anything that has changed or notice something, please reply and I will update this post.

Please keep in mind that all of the comments here are under the assumption that you are using the Captivate stock, with the base TouchWiz default launcher, and you are non-rooted. Anything that is different for rooted users/lag-fix users/other launcher users will be noted.

If you have attempted to update, please vote here on whether you were successful in recieving the update or not.
http://androidforums.com/samsung-captivate/182715-update-install-success-poll.html

From the AT&T site: Bold.
My comments: Bulleted and normal text.
Anything that I am unsure of will be triple starred until confirmed. ***

CHANGELOG

Update Content Details: The firmware update will be a 12MB download.

Included in this update is:

1) Preinstalled software update - QuickOffice for Android will allow users to edit various Microsoft Office documents

• This seems to just be including QuickOffice as part of the default set of applications. This application is different from the one on the Android Market. The market app is called "Quickoffice for Captivate 3.2.47", whereas the market identifies this app as just "Quickoffice".
  • I have not looked into the differences, if any, between these two apps yet, but this appears to mean that you can not update the application via the Android Market. You must use the built-in update feature within the "Quickoffice" app itself.
  • Also, because this is considered as part of the phones default apps, you can not uninstall it. Just like the AT&T apps.

2) Messaging update - Exchange 2003 support will be added,

• Email accounts disappearing has been fixed. (Oh thank goodness!)

3) MMS and other messaging enhancements will also be included.

• MMS download after 2G call *** Can someone confirm?

4) Voice enhancement - Improved calling experience.

• Voice calls now start and end quicker. The blinking three times of the call time after a phone call ends is now only one blink.

5) Media software enhancement.

• A new "Now playing" button on the "Music Player" application.***
  • Some other UI changes?***
  • When viewing a video in "Video Player", if you press the "Menu" button, there is a "Settings" option that lets you choose between "Repeat", "Brightness", "Color tone", and "Outdoor visibility".
  • Video Bookmarks - You can now add bookmarks in video's recorded on the phone in the "Video Player". Located on the "Menu" button while viewing a video, you can "Add Bookmark", as well as view existing "Bookmarks", and further delete them. ***

6) GPS performance improvements.

• Some user reports showing that the update improved connection strength slightly, but also increased the number of satellites being found, as well as the speed in which the satellites are found.

7) Media scanning time improvements.

• Media scanning time reduced.

Note:
This firmware update is not intended to resolve all device reset or freezing issues, which may be caused by:

• Corrupted files
  • Device memory becoming filled and leaving insufficient room to run applications.
  • Use of incompatible 3rd party applications on the Samsung Captivate.

Other Changes (confirmed):
1) USB Settings only has 4 options

• PC Internet is no longer a connection option under USB settings. The only options now are "Kies (Firmware update)", "Media Player", "Mass storage", and "Ask of connection". NOTE: Does this apply for phones with an account with Internet Tethering activated? ***
  • This setting is located: Settings -> Applications -> USB settings.

2) Settings -> About phone

• Firmware version = 2.1-update1
  • Baseband version = I897UCJH7
  • Kernel version = 2.6.29 jetaek.lee@sep-11 #2
  • Build number = ECLAIR.UCJH7

3) YouTube App Updates

• Youtube has a new stock home page widget which shows most popular videos. Does it now constantly check and use data? ***
  • Also, there is an option to *always* play high quality in youtube. It's in the menu when you bring up the youtube app.

4) Google Open GL 2.0 Fix

5) If you have Launcher Pro installed, you can add an activities shortcut to the GPS menuby performing: Long press on your screen -> shortcuts -> activities -> LbsTestMode

Other Changes (User reported): PLEASE REVIEW AND CONFIRM

1) u0berdev reports:

• Fixed Home screen bounce/Removed move-to-home screen animation

• In the last firmware, if you were on any other page than the home screen, pressing the "Home" button would perform a scrolling animation to change screens to your home screen. This is removed in the latest firmware.
  • There also was a bug where if you were already on the home screen and you pressed the "Home" button again, it would "bounce" the screen. This is now fixed.
  • The interface to edit the screens allows to move screens around by pulling down on it.

2) NJR reports:

• YouTube has a new stock home page widget which shows most popular videos (that seems to mean that it is constantly checking now) *** Question: is it constantly checking?
  • The screen brightness is darker. I always have the screen set as low as it can go (I use quick settings) but now it appears darker then before.

3) pac0naut Reports:

• Okay, so I plugged my phone into my netbook to charge. My netbook has Kies on it. If you're on the homescreen it usually takes you straight to the MTP and starts up Kies. Now there's a message saying "Press homescreen key to exit Kies application" or something of that sorts. Now you can exit the MTP application without having to unplug the phone, set it to whatever you want to use, and replug it back in.

4) More apps available in the Android Market?:

• The Angry Birds Beta app now shows up in the App Market. Wonder if the update fixed that too? - bigjerries
  • Wait, even more good news, so does Flick Kick Field Goal... Basically, if you were looking for apps before and they weren't showing up, go check now.-Cuerbo

5) CodeCommando reports:

• The code to get to the GPS settings no longer works

6) Android_J reports:

• the video player seems to default to max brightness, even if the main system brightness is set to minimum. Anyone else having this issue?
  • To update on the video player brightness, this only happens when you're in video recording mode and then access the video player shortcut within the recording mode.
    I didn't realize you can adjust the brightness when you launch video player outside of video recording mode. This will set the default for video player when launched elsewhere such as in video recording mode or the gallery.
  • *** Can someone confirm if the above is a new feature in this FW version?
7) nellakwah21 reports:

• I also noticed the High Quality mode is now a button next to the time bar on the video (finally!) Previously you had to bring up the sub menu and select it.

Resources:
Android Central - Testing Samsung's GPS Improvements [w/Video]
Testing Samsung's GPS improvements [video] | Android Central

Android Forums - OTA Update Changes Thread
http://androidforums.com/samsung-captivate/182594-ota-update-changes-thread.html

Android Forums - Other updates in Captivate OTA upgrade
http://androidforums.com/samsung-captivate/183927-other-updates-captivate-ota-upgrade.html

This forum.

THANKS TO ALL CONTRIBUTORS! All the credit is yours for this info!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones