OTA Update Google Goggles

Last Updated:

1. Gazzaroonii

Gazzaroonii New Member This Topic's Starter

"Google Goggles: this mobile application will now be available directly on your device by launching it from your All Apps menu. Just use your Nexus One camera to start searching the web"

Call me stupid (you wont be the first). I have always had google goggles on my Nexus One. Not sure I ever installed the App, so I am pretty confused by this statement as some major addition. What am I missing? Are they just saying that its now auto installed as part of Android?

I am new to Android so please excuse: I take it the All Apps menu is just the conveyor belt App screen? If so, then the Google Goggles app has always been there!

Confused

Advertisement
  2. extreo

extreo Member

It wasn't pre-installed for me.
    I had to download it from the Android marketplace.
    All Apps is in the Android marketplace.
    Goggles was/is a featured App too.

3. Gazzaroonii

Gazzaroonii New Member This Topic's Starter

I see so this major update highlight is just a pre-installed app. Seems like a lot of fuss :)
    Still not sure I understand what the significance of "by launching it from your All Apps menu."

As I said - I am new to android. What does this statement mean and what does it add that was not there before the update?

Thanks for confirming

4. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

The all apps menu is, well, that big menu with all the apps in lol

It doesn't add any thing more than an app a lot of us had all ready installed from marketplace anyway.

5. gibson6594

gibson6594 Well-Known Member

This was not the highlight of the update. This major update was highlighted mostly by the 3G fix and added multi touch support.

6. zillah

zillah Well-Known Member

Google Goggles wasn't automatically installed after the update, too. Had to go to the app store to download it my self. Was quite confused by what they meant.

7. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

the thing is still basically in alpha. i've found that barring the scan being a barcode or a book, it really doesn't work. so like you guys are saying, i don't see the point.

8. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

I find that it works pretty well actually, tried out on lots of things (not bar codes) and get good results.

9. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

works pretty good for me also.. 9/10 i get a good reading

10. raremage

raremage Well-Known Member

I must just be scanning the wrong objects, 'cause I get lousy results (had installed on my Droid too). I've tried logos, computers, monitors, electronics equipment. Poor results in general. So much so that I've generally stopped using it - although I would start again if they had an easy (or clear-cut) way to submit the correct result, in an effort to improve things. I don't recall seeing an easy way to do that.

11. Dxtra30

Dxtra30 Member

Is this app available for the Samsung Moment? If so , I hit my Market App on my phone and did a search and nothing comes up .. If it does work with the moment any other way to get it ? Thanks!