OTA update rendered my SD Card unreadableSupport

Last Updated:

1. kogorman

kogorman Member This Topic's Starter

Just a word of warning - I installed the OTA update when it popped up and it installed just fine. However, my SD card is now completely useless. I cannot read it from my phone or computer. It doesn't even show that it is there. I lost all my photos and music. Bummer! Learn from my experience and remove the SD card before installing the update, just in case.

Advertisement
  2. gocardinals

gocardinals Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that. Can others inform ... do we need to remove our SD card when installing OTA?

3. literacolax

literacolax Well-Known Member

you may just have to format it. and if you do, make sure you farmat it to FAT32.

4. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

never heard of this before but that sucks

5. kogorman

Can't format it. Can't do anything with it! No device will even detect that there is anything even there. Major bummer!

6. Pretkomel

Pretkomel Well-Known Member

Can you take it out of the phone and format direct in a computer?

7. zemerick

zemerick Well-Known Member

Weird. I have no idea what happened. Can you take the SD card out and stick it in something else? Another phone perhaps?

At the very least the phone should see SOMETHING is there. I wouldn't give up entirely on it just yet. If you don't have anything else to stick it in, at least try removing the card and putting it back in.

8. kogorman

I have tried taking it out of the phone and putting it back in, nothing. I have tried putting it into an adapter and trying to read from my computer, nothing. My husband tried it on his computer as well. None of the items have seen that there is anything there. It is completely unreadable. Very sad....

9. Fine69

Fine69 Well-Known Member

wow Mine works fine i have 2000 songs on there and videos. Scared me for a sec. doesnt the OTA save to the SD CARD? update.zip has to.

10. Evil Sports

Evil Sports Well-Known Member

This happened to me with my Eris months ago, I put the card away and months later I was able to get it to pop on my windows 7 machine. Now it was still acting weird working sometimes and not others. I got it to work long enough to copy the files then I reformatted it and it been fine since. Dont give up, keep trying it on your PC

11. airjordan223

airjordan223 Well-Known Member

The same thing happened to me...very disappointed

12. Fine69

Fine69 Well-Known Member

does that ole freezer trick work on the new sd cards?

13. jayefef

jayefef Well-Known Member

This sucks. But at least SD cards are relatively cheap these days. Best of luck.

14. airjordan223

airjordan223 Well-Known Member

Regardless of how cheap they are, I don't think we should have to buy a new one.

They had an update, that deleted hundreds of pictures and made a piece of hardware useless. Why should the consumer have to pay for it?

15. friend088

friend088 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear what happened. Now I'm confused as to what to do when I get the update. Do I leave the card in or take it out before the update?

16. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

take it to verizon and tell them to buy u a new one lol

17. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

def take it to verizon haha

18. zemerick

zemerick Well-Known Member

If it was the update specifically, I'm sure you would have a lot more people on here screaming about it. I'm willing to bet it was something else that happened that actually killed it, perhaps triggered by the update. Sorry, I know it sucks..but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

19. INTREPID-NY

INTREPID-NY Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear. It might have been a coincidence. I copy the contents of my sdcard to my pc every so often for backup purposes.

20. Fine69

Fine69 Well-Known Member

um you have to put the update.zip on the sd card root directory for it to work.

21. killadanny

killadanny Well-Known Member

OTA Update? I would definitely see if they can get you a new one, hope it wasn't a big sd card.

22. scottstephens

scottstephens New Member

I to just did the update with my 8g sd card in. After the update I had no internal memory and no memory on my 8 g card. I called VZW we did a total reset on the phone witch brought back my internal memory but my 8g will no longer be read by the phone. The factory 2 g works and the 8g works on my computer only. Even after reformatting the card the phone will not read the card. VZW rep said since I did not buy the card from them I should return It to the store I purchased it from. :mad:

23. Dobieg

Dobieg Well-Known Member

my sd problem is a little different.

i used the update.zip method and every couple of minutes was getting a "unmounted sd card" error in my notifications. nothing was deleted from the sd card (luckily), so i transferred everything to my pc and formatted the microsd card. transferred everything back and audio & video both are both VERY choppy. never had the problem before.

i decided to reformat it on the phone and now i am, once again, transferring the stuff back to the microsd from the pc. hopefully all will be ok.

sorry that you lost all your info.

fwiw, i also factory restored the phone immediately after installing update.zip

24. MC28REPSOL

MC28REPSOL New Member

i too lost all data on my sd card and it too is now worthless! i'll be going to verizon this week to try and get a new card. but hey, who cares about that? i pissed about losing all my music and pictures!

just a warning. take your card out 1st.

25. UAConspiracy

UAConspiracy Member

This also happened to me. Not able to see my card through hooking up with Computer and using as Disk Drive. Also, the phone notices that I took the card out, but it can't see it at all.