• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help OTA Update thread - Discussion/Issues

Update just showed up for me as well. Going to be a while, since I am on 3G where I am right now. Kind of takes a while when I am lucky to get 1mbps speed. Crossing my fingers.

The update completed successfully, and everything appears to be running quite well. Marvel Puzzle Quest didn't want to launch at first, but after 3 tries, it worked, and I haven't had a problem with it since. Everything seems to be running quickly and smoothly. Doesn't seem any faster than before, but it did not seem to slow down either.

Prior to the update, I had been having occasional hiccups, where everything would freeze for a second or two when running different games. That so far has not happened since the update, which is a good thing.

The one odd thing that I have seen though, is that I have a perpetual notification saying that Google Play Services is requesting an update. If I tap the notification, it just brings me to the Google Play Store entry for Google Play Services. There is no update available. I have tried multiple reboots, I have manually checked for phone updates as well as updates in Google Play and even Amazon Appstore. I can swipe the notification away, but it comes back a few minutes later. I haven't seen any negative impact from this so far, other than the annoyance of seeing that icon up in the notification bar.

Oh yes, one other annoyance. It again reset all my sound schemes. I realize they probably just do it that way because it is easier, but I still find it annoying to have to go re-choose all of my sounds, particularly for my Alarms, every time I take a system update.

Upvote 0
Well, I have an icon for Wifi Calling in my app list, but tapping it does nothing, I assume, because I am not connected to wifi at the moment. Don't see any options anywhere else, including within the regular Phone settings.
You are on Sprint, correct? just asking because other carriers I believe may have already had this.

Edit. I have this too in my apps. I think this is new. I am not on wifi but will check into this later when I get home.

Upvote 0
I get permission denied when trying to press the app icon. I did a Google search and found a post where this was happening on the Sprint M8 as well when they received their last update. Don't know of a fix and am open to suggestions. Not sure this is overly useful to my situation anyway but would like to get it to work properly.

Upvote 0
I continued having that Google Play Services Update notification through the night. This morning, I had a number of updates from Google Docs, Sheets, etc. After finishing those updates, the notification icon has disappeared, and not come back at least in the past 2 hours.

As for the Wifi Calling, the icon does nothing on my Sprint M7. No error, and no indication that it does anything, other than a quick flash. Not enough to actually even show anything. No errors either.

One thing that I noticed, that I had not seen before, was that when making a call or answering a call, I now see a small notification on the dialer screen where it is attempting to initiate HD Voice. I don't recall every seeing a notification about that before.

Everything else is looking pretty good. Another thing I noticed, is that installing app updates seem to take significantly longer than before the update. That one is hard to judge, since app updates aren't always the same size etc. I will keep an eye on it.

Can't really give any judgement on battery life yet. It seems like it may be a little better, but I will need a few more days to monitor it. A lot of times, initial results are either not long term, or are in my mind.

Reactions: Rush
Upvote 0
From Sprint:

Wi-Fi calling is a new feature on the HTC One M7. However, the feature is not supported with the model device. Jameel Sprint Social Care

And again:

Our product team has let us know that unfortunately, the WiFi calling icon was added by mistake. WiFi calling is not available on the HTC One (M7) build. We apologize for the confusion and disappointment. - Moderator SeaWolf.

Works on the T Mobile M7, not sure why it wouldn't work on ours. Oh well!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I installed the new update yesterday morning. Mostly like it, but now my phone will not connect to my Pioneer Appradio2 car stereo... which really sucks! Actually it did connect once after un-pairing both bluetooth devices, re-pairing, and deleting all bluetooth data on the stereo, but today it wouldn't connect again at all.

So I uninstalled the pioneer apps, and tried to reinstall them. The main app wouldn't reinstall, giving an error 505. So I finally got it to install, only after uninstalling WAZE and DashCommand. But now I cannot reinstall DashCommand! Haven't had a chance to see if the phone will connect to the Appradio2 yet.

Upvote 0
I have a question on the notifications settings for those of you that have the update installed. I have heard that Lollipop does some wierd things to muting and silencing notifications, have any of you noticed this? Are you still able to set your phone to mute or vibrate only?

I received the notice about updating but cannot do it yet as it is incompatible with the security software my company uses and I will not be able to sync my phone with my company if I update. They stay they will have a patch in place in 30 days, but I am not holding my breath.

So until then I have the popcorn out and I am reading with envy at those of you who can upgrade and very interested in what you find!

Upvote 0
Downloaded the update yesterday everything seems to be working fine accept when I'm listening to music and I lock my phone the display buttons aren't there. I can't pause or skip songs. Tried opening the Pandora app and got the same thing.
I am not seeing that. When playing a song and the phone goes into the lock screen once it is reopened I can pause or skip to the next song from that screen. I usually open the music player back up instead of doing that but it does seem to work regardless. Maybe try a soft reset?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
this update has completely wrecked my text messaging. I have to enter each letter very slowly and wait for it to catch up before continuing. there is a huge lag between when I hit a letter and when it appears. i have reset my phone 4 times now and it still lags. twice now it sent error reports to HTC because something stopped working.

Upvote 0
I like the new update for my HTC One M7, but I have a serious problem that bugs me so much about it. The problem is the Text notification sound, and I'm not talking about the sound that you would normally hear when you get a text message (because everyone's is probably different), I'm talking about the sound AFTER the regular tone that you would normally hear. I've tried everything that I can to stop the annoying thing and I can't seem to find a solution yet. The first thing I did when I heard that noise was going to the notification settings to see if I could disable it. Nothing is there about it, and I have also tried to look through the other settings that refer to sound or notification wise. I've looked online and I haven't found much help yet. I also have my phone password protected and I have to were my messages won't show up on the lock screen if this is any help.

Upvote 0
Are you using a third-party message app, or have you got more than one message app installed?

I don't know what this sound you are talking about is, so am just taking a guess here, but hearing 2 sounds suggests that you are getting 2 notifications, and the most obvious way is 2 message apps both having notifications enabled. If so you'd need to turn off the notification in one of the apps.

Upvote 0
I am not seeing that. When playing a song and the phone goes into the lock screen once it is reopened I can pause or skip to the next song from that screen. I usually open the music player back up instead of doing that but it does seem to work regardless. Maybe try a soft reset?

Yeah once I unlock my phone I can get to the music app and change songs. Im talking about I'm not able to change songs without unlocking my phone when I was able to before. I use to be able to just hit the power button and then from my lock screen be ably to skip or pause any song.

Upvote 0
Got the update notification last night and installed immediately. Since then have found my phone to be running hot and battery life is notsogreat. Also not a fan they got rid of the ability to instantly kill all running/cached apps. Now you have to swipe or X them out individually. :thumbsdowndroid:

One positive to this point is I like all the new lock-screen notifications. They're much sharper and more apps are taking advantage than prior to the update.

Upvote 0
Yeah once I unlock my phone I can get to the music app and change songs. Im talking about I'm not able to change songs without unlocking my phone when I was able to before. I use to be able to just hit the power button and then from my lock screen be ably to skip or pause any song.
Either I'm not following or mine doesn't do that. When a song is playing and it goes into the lock screen hitting the power button brings back up the lock screen. From there I can pause or skip to the next song. Sliding the lock screen up will open the music player again. That is the way it was before this update, since 4.3 I believe. I'm not seeing anything really different? My phone is basically a mp3 player. I have over 18GB of music on it . Good luck resolving this issue

Upvote 0
Hangouts? That can also handle SMS.

Best is probably that I move this to the HTC One forum here, so more M7 owners see it - maybe someone else will have encountered this as well

I have hangouts on my phone but it's disabled since I don't use it. I don't have anything else that can send or receive messages. I forgot to mention that it also vibrates and does this for every single email, Gmail, YouTube notification, any notification I get on my phone. I have to literally hurry up and unlock my phone and open the text or notification just so it doesn't do the stupid sound or vibrate forever.

Solved! I found out on what was going on! For some reason notification reminder was turn ON FOR EVER 15 SECONDS! So if anyone has this problem it's under Settings>Accessibility>System>Notification Reminder.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones