• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Anyone know if this can break the root method? Or anything else included other than what is in the PDF? Here is a link to the pdf file on Verizon's website detailing the update.

http://m-support.verizonwireless.com/pdf/system_update/lg_spectrum.pdf

The only thing it says is "Netflix playback enhanced."

One of the things I did first after rooting was to update the Netflix app. The problem I am having is there seems to be no way too stop the update. It gives me about 3 minutes warning before doing it anyway. I can force start it early or "postpone " but not skip or cancel.

Pre-update phone info
Baseband: VS920ZV3-M8660A-AABQNSZM-3.1.61024FT
Kernel: 2.6.35-perf lge@android-build #1
Build: GRJ90
SW Version: VS920ZV3

Anyone know if this can break the root method? Or anything else included other than what is in the PDF? Here is a link to the pdf file on Verizon's website detailing the update.

http://m-support.verizonwireless.com/pdf/system_update/lg_spectrum.pdf

The only thing it says is "Netflix playback enhanced."

One of the things I did first after rooting was to update the Netflix app. The problem I am having is there seems to be no way too stop the update. It gives me about 3 minutes warning before doing it anyway. I can force start it early or "postpone " but not skip or cancel.

Pre-update phone info
Baseband: VS920ZV3-M8660A-AABQNSZM-3.1.61024FT
Kernel: 2.6.35-perf lge@android-build #1
Build: GRJ90
SW Version: VS920ZV3

The update wont break root. it fixes netflix and patches framework and a couple otger files

Upvote 0
Well I had to go to the dmv and get my car title (whoo ooh!). While there I had my phone on silent. When I got out I guess the update ran. I am now stuck in the cmw boot loop. And I won't have access to a computer until wed. (Sending this from my wife's Evo Shift)
When you get to a computer just dd orig recovery to partition 13 and reboot your ohone and you will be good to go. then you can out cwm back on after that

Upvote 0
Actually, the update does remove root and it is the update that everyone sees when they first get their phone or they flash the v3 .cab file I know from having it flash many times while recovery my phone. The thing is, the update should not auto install as you have CWM installed. Are you on the new CWM touch recovery or the old standard recovery?

Upvote 0
I know my info is spread out on a few posts, I installed the one click root/CWM on Sunday morning after downloading it Saturday afternoon. It was the old one, I planned on updating to touch (had it on my Evo, by the way Verizon gave me $85 for it, else I would have kept it, gazelle only offers $44) but I had to go to Kinko's to root my phone, since I am, still, out of town and brought the wrong charger for my laptop. I got lucky and the guy working was a computer not quite techie, was by himself, and the store was empty. He gave me the employee card to use on the computer so I would not get billed for the time. Very cool, it had full admin access on the machine, so I made sure to clean up good when done.

And that is the only reason I got rooted.

Well I could not go 3 days without a phone while on vacation, so I took it back to Verizon and got a replacement. Now I have to wait till tomorrow to root again, but at least I've done it once and now know what I need to do, should be able to get it correct in about 15 minutes instead of 3 hours this time.

Also, was just over on XDA and apparently they don't have root yet on this phone (or a spectrum forum page) I sent a good number of replies telling people to head this way, but I am disappointed as that means not a lot of Dev activity over there for our device. And having more than one site working on the device means more goodies for the rest of us...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones