OTA updater question

Last Updated:

1. SkyyPayne

SkyyPayne Active Member This Topic's Starter

From what I've been reading I assume mostly everyone has received this ota "pre patch" for 2.1 if that's really what it is, except for me?

I originally got the 2.0.1 by downloading it and doing the whole boot into recovery and run update.zip. I'm wondering if since I did that, did it disable the OTA update for me? I haven't received any messages for updates and am constantly checking for them on my phone. If this is the case how would I re enable them.

Hopefully it just hasn't been released to everyone yet and I'm just getting anxious for no reason. Thanks for any answers you have

:)

Advertisement
  2. keerf

keerf Well-Known Member

I haven't gotten the update yet, least I wasn't asked to download anything.

3. brocja01

brocja01 Well-Known Member

Don't worry, I haven't gotten it either. I'm assuming they will be getting it out to all of us in due time. I to manually updated to 2.0.1, so I'll either way till they push it to me, or I'll wait till someone tells me how to manually do it. :)

4. dougwilson2000

dougwilson2000 Well-Known Member

No need to panic. I have not got mine either. Last OTA I wasa few days behind also. I really do not mind the delay because it give others the chance to have problems before it gets to my phone. I am thinking my patch will be here by Fri or Sat. Patience!!!!!

5. Inphosys

Inphosys Well-Known Member

I haven't gotten the OTA notification either. I remember for the 2.0.1, a friend of mine called Verizon to ask where it was. They said they would move him up the list, once he hung up the phone from their call he got prompted for his update.

If you're really worried, give data tech support a call ... I think the number is 800-493-1625.

6. obutto

obutto Well-Known Member

that OTA was for a facebook fix.

7. kkwan77

kkwan77 Well-Known Member

And among other things I'd imagine.

8. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

It's a 2.1 precursor. Someone who knows someone who knows someone says that their buddy knows this guy who's good friends with an employee ot the MacDonalds right next to the Starbucks where the brother-in-law of a tech at Verizon works, and he says...

I got the update, and now I have pinch zoom on Maps, quadraphonic audio output, and FM transission capability. I also downloaded the newest ATM app, and now it spits 100 dollar bills out the back where that gold screen is (...who knew?!)
    -Gotta have that update, though.

9. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

I never got the first OTA update (did it manually), so I don't know at what point in the process I would have been for 2.0.1, but I have not received any notification for the new update yet.

10. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member

You will only get the update if you have been having trouble updating to version 112 of the facebook app that comes pre loaded on the phone...for the love of (*&)(*^&)&^) lol

So do not worry if you have not gotten the update...it means your droid is in the clear (hopefully to get the 2.1 update coming soon?)

11. Psychokitty

...Source?

12. gonzoguy24

All over the internet. Try google search engine! Ah im not trying to sound like an ass. But seriously this has been discussed on and on for the past day or so

13. gonzoguy24

it went something like this...

Quote "
    JFDroid Says: 01-15-2010, 04:16 PM

Some people who got 2.0.1 got an old version of Facebook when they initially updated from 2.0 to 2.0.1.

I know at least 15,000 people were affected, they started pushing the update yesterday and all affected people should be getting the update within the next few days.

If you are on 2.0.1 and it says there is an update to install 2.0.1, I would hit yes and install it as the chances are 99% that you got a bad version of 2.0.1 with an old version of Facebook.
    Quote"

Maybe the update will take place tonite, I'm not sure were they're getting this information from. I just know the last time that we saw an update people were able to sniff out prematurely the Verizon 2.01 update page. So, I wonder if we will see the same thing, before the 2.1 update is rolled out.

AC

14. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

The update said it would call me in the morning and it lied

15. icstars989

icstars989 Well-Known Member

Gotta romance it man, can't go in tongue deep right outta the gate and expect glory. Take your time and she'll come back.

16. gonzoguy24

Yo icstars!

--==one goal==--

go hawks!

17. Psychokitty

-So you're a man of natural talent.

You've been on the "Facebook Update" bandwagon ever since the update came out. I did do some searching around, and all I found was other speculation, but at least some was from a fairly credible source I trust a bit more than someone who's confined themselves to just whatever rumors are floating around his home forum. Until I see a correlation between all supposed 15K people with bad Facebook apps and this latest update (ANY correlation), whether or not this 60+ MB update has anything at all to do with Facebook remains unproven.
    What makes more sense logically, is that this may be in preparation for an upcoming update of real significance in the near future, especially since Google & Verizon have quite a bit riding on the 2.1 update being delivered smoothly and in a timely manor.
    Until a completely credible source tells us just exactly what it was, everything you read is pure speculation & rumor, and all you have to go on is common sense and some facts. -Not trying to sound like an ass, ;) but I'm not seeing any actual facts and I'm seeing very little common sense about this update.

18. sublimnl

sublimnl Well-Known Member

Amen!

19. gonzoguy24

Just thought I would address your post. I had a hard time trying to understand where you were coming from but I think the overall message is that you do not like all the hearsay about this update. Am I right?

What do you mean "facebook update bandwagon." I simply have been following the update because I cannot wait for 2.1.

I never confined myself to a rumor and i definitely NEVER said that the source I had was fact. You did not do enough research because there is plenty of correlation that the update had to do with facebook you psycho*****.

The "proof" I have for this is simply what I quoted before but ALSO the several people who brought this issue up in the first place who made it clear that:

1. They got an update notification

2. They noticed no changes in version/kernel #'s

3. They were able to then download version 112 of facebook and had to login to the app again

This falls in line with the "rumor" (and it is a rumor, and i am not trying to state otherwise) that only some individuals got a fixed 2.0.1 in order to properly update their facebook app.

I agree that this is probably in preparation for the 2.1 update but as far as we know this was simply just a reflash of 2.0.1 for those who needed to update to the newest version of facebook.

I will agree also that this update makes little sense to me if we are about to get 2.1. Why would these people even need a reflash of 2.0.1 before getting 2.1? What is the point? We have NO proof this has anything to do with 2.1 but there is plenty of info out there from people reporting who got the update and what the update did. Those are the actual facts.

20. fireshaper

fireshaper Well-Known Member

Of course, it could have just been an update to the system and it just so happens that now people can download the Facebook app. Are there any other apps that some user who had upgraded to 2.0.1 couldn't get that everyone else could?

21. gonzoguy24

Of those that have gotten the update this is the only one that they have noticed...such a bogus update i know!

22. fireshaper

fireshaper Well-Known Member

And the only reason I bring that up is because it does seem highly unlikely that Verizon would release an update just for Facebook when that could have just been bundled in the 2.1 update.

23. ladybadger2007

ladybadger2007 Well-Known Member

I went to phonearena.com and in the upcoming verizon phones was the nexus1, so I doubt we will get 2.1 before they release the N1. That wouldn't make business sense to release it before the actual phone comes out, but that is just my opinion.

24. gonzoguy24

I couldn't agree with ya more brother. I have been saying all along that this is bizarre. the RUMOR is that it was done because a portion of the original 2.0.1. update had a problem with the bundled facebook. I dunno man I just want 2.1 :(

25. gonzoguy24

I respectfully disagree but I see your point. I think they will want to push this update out fast (2.1) just to keep the Droid among the top smartphones.