OTA updates after debrand + App update notifications

Last Updated:

1. rowlarry

rowlarry Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All, First Post!

Can't seem to find the answer here, so thought I'd ask the question...

History: Bought what I thought was an unbranded Desire from eBay...turns out whilst waiting for Froyo that it was a Vodafone branded one.

Managed to not update to the Vodabloat 360 update, and as an un-messed about version of Froyo looked not to be forthcoming, I followed a guide on here to flash it to a stock HTC 2.1 and then Froyo via manual update from my Goldcard, as there were no OTA updates at that time.

All is running OK, although the process was nerve-wracking! I have however the following questions, if anyone can answer?

1. Will I ever get any more OTA updates from HTC? Do I need to have my Goldcard in the phone when it checks? I presume I won't get any from Vodafone as I have flashed the device. If not, am I restricted to installing future updates manually :(

2. I don't seem to be getting App update notifications any more- is this a common problem or only for flashed phones, and is HTC working on an update?

Many thanks in advance...

Larry

Advertisement
  2. Yenzehn

Yenzehn Well-Known Member

1: Your updates should, as far as I know, be pushed to you regardless as it is the phone checking in with the HTC server on a daily basis - try doing it manually in settings -> About -> Update.

You do not need need your gold card in the phone since the system software is now stock, which is all that matters.

Disregard that I was wrong, you need the SD card. Sorry.

2: Have you tried opening the market app, then checking a list of your updates applications to see if it notifies you then?

rowlarry likes this.
  3. teppic74

teppic74 Well-Known Member

You need to keep your goldcard in your phone when you install further OTA updates.

rowlarry likes this.
  4. jaseuk

jaseuk Well-Known Member

Now I'm confused, I was under the impression that if you had a unlocked and debranded phone then you can accept OTA updates (as essentially you have a phone that you could have bought from CW/Buymobilephones.net or one of the other places that sell the phone sans branding.

(Also I upgraded via ota to 2.1 before manually installing 2.2 and the phone was working fine while I had 2.1 OTA.)

Can someone confirm this?

rowlarry likes this.
  5. dcuk7

dcuk7 New Member

teppic74 is correct, you still need the Goldcard to install OTA updates as the phone's CID is unchanged so the update you are trying to install is targeting a different CID. Debranding a Desire doesn't permanently change the CID. Until someone can figure this out you'll need the Goldcard for updating.

rowlarry likes this.
  6. teppic74

Yup, you can see the CID if you boot from fastboot:

# ./fastboot oem boot
    INFODevice CID is not super CID
    INFOCID is O2___001
    INFOsetting->cid::O2___001

So despite my phone being debranded, it can still only accept O2 updates without a goldcard (though it'll never be offered O2 updates unless it is running an O2 branded release).

rowlarry likes this.
  7. malcster

malcster Well-Known Member

I debranded my Vodafone to 2.1 and checked for ota updates nothing was available
    About a week.later it was available and I.updated no problem
    Just keep.checking

rowlarry likes this.
  8. rowlarry

Hi, I have looked in the Market and found that a few of my apps had updates available- I still didn't get notifications of them...and I have the 'notify me' option ticked, as do all my apps. A really annoying bug.

9. rowlarry

Does this mean you need to have the Goldcard in when checking for updates then?

10. teppic74

No, just to install them.

rowlarry likes this.
  11. rowlarry

This is odd then...the CID should still be checking for Vodafone 2.2, but you installed the vanilla Froyo? As I said, I have Froyo which I installed manually, but was wondering whether I had to manually install every time...I hope not!!!

12. teppic74

The updates you are offered depend on what software version you are running, not the brand of your phone (of course unless you debrand, these always match up).