• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OTA updates with AT&T

Will my N1 still get updates OTA on AT&T? The reason I am wondering is that since AT&T doesn't really sell this phone, why would they push out updates for it?

AT&T, and any carriers for that matter, will NOT be doing the OTA updates. As the Nexus One is purchased directly from Google, they will be sending out the OTA. So when Froyo (Android OS 2.2) comes out, we will be the first to receive it. For most people, this is one of the main factors in their decision to purchase the N1. The fact that phones that are less than a year old have been guttered into never moving beyond 1.5 (Drem/G1) was a big turnoff for most people. Also, there are no bloated firmwares from carriers or the manufactuers (ex. Sense) that bog down the phone from being updated quickly. So with the N1, we won't need to wait for the manufactuer to make adjustments to the vanilla android system.

Hope that answers your question,
-Roze-

Upvote 0
Will my N1 still get updates OTA on AT&T? The reason I am wondering is that since AT&T doesn't really sell this phone, why would they push out updates for it?

Your N1 will get updated directy from Google!! Android 2.2 Froyo is just around the corner! And guess who gets this major update first?? Ya we do!!

No longer will I buy a *branded* phone. Just going to stick with Google's devices!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones