• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

skinien

Android Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2010
I just got off of the phone with AT&T about the GPS issues and asked how OTA updates are pushed to users. I specifically asked if they are sent by at&t or by the phone manufacturers. The rep said that in the passed, OTA updates have been sent by the phone manufactures. The software isn't given to at&t to then be released to us.

If this is the case, it would be awesome because it limits the delay in us getting the GPS fix and Froyo. Can anyone confirm that this is wrong?

I sincerely doubt that's accurate. Think about Froyo for example. Samsung isn't going to throw in all of AT&T's crapware for them. Also, AT&T has to stager the notifications so their network doesn't come crashing down around them.

GPS, maybe, that's a samsung problem so I could maybe see them pushing but still, you have a network overload issue.

It's much more likely that AT&T receives those updates and do their own testing before release.

Upvote 0
I sincerely doubt that's accurate. Think about Froyo for example. Samsung isn't going to throw in all of AT&T's crapware for them. Also, AT&T has to stager the notifications so their network doesn't come crashing down around them.

GPS, maybe, that's a samsung problem so I could maybe see them pushing but still, you have a network overload issue.

It's much more likely that AT&T receives those updates and do their own testing before release.

I thought about that, but I'm sure at&t works with Samsung in the OS build to ensure what apps go on there. Otherwise, what's the incentive for Samsung to rush on a fix/OS when it would be delayed by at&t. We are both speculating. I'm asking for someone who can confirm one way or the other.

Upvote 0
I had a thread about the galaxyshelp.com website. In it, I stated that I talked to a tier 3 technician about GPS issues and Froyo. He told me that Froyo would be given to AT&T when Samsung is done with it and then AT&T would modify the source to include all their crap, and then release it to us. SO - NO Froyo direct from Samsung!

Upvote 0
I had a thread about the galaxyshelp.com website. In it, I stated that I talked to a tier 3 technician about GPS issues and Froyo. He told me that Froyo would be given to AT&T when Samsung is done with it and then AT&T would modify the source to include all their crap, and then release it to us. SO - NO Froyo direct from Samsung!

Exactly what I didn't want to hear. Thanks for nothing. Just kidding - thanks for the info. That's definitely a bummer though.

Upvote 0
Normally the manufactures push the updates after they are tested by the carrier. Just because it says "checking AT&T servers" doesn't mean it is not checking at Samsung for the AT&T approved update.

If you visit the Motorola forums, they push out the updates and they tell you so. The update says checking VZW, or ATT, or Tmo servers, but it is coming from Motorola.

No matter what the update, it still has to be approved by the carrier before the manufacturer pushes it out.

Upvote 0
Normally the manufactures push the updates after they are tested by the carrier. Just because it says "checking AT&T servers" doesn't mean it is not checking at Samsung for the AT&T approved update.

If you visit the Motorola forums, they push out the updates and they tell you so. The update says checking VZW, or ATT, or Tmo servers, but it is coming from Motorola.

No matter what the update, it still has to be approved by the carrier before the manufacturer pushes it out.

I agree with this. Checking AT&T servers could simply mean checking Samsung's servers that service AT&T phones.

Next person that calls Samsung, ask them if they send the OTA updates. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones